What is "cheap"???

There are threads about skipping tipping. There are threads about how to beat RCI out of the cost of a drink....when these are posted, the common word that is in all our minds is probably... (using probably eliminates those accusing me of labeling people) cheap.

So, in your opinion, and we all have them, what is cheap?

For example.....

The traveler who carries their own bags on and off has no obligation to the porters....a service not used...so they are not cheap.

So how do you define the term "cheap"?????

Please! Do not flame each other (heck nor me)...just a simple conversation amoungst friends ( someone once said "can't we all get along??????)???

Cheap... trying to cram 4 adults (especially two couples) into an inside cabin...:rolleyes:

Oh there we already start with different opinions. To me it´s cheap already to cram a single person in an inside cabin;):p (Note I think it´s cheap if I´d do it, not if others do it;))

Good Question. I think one persons cheap will vary alot from another persons.

For me I think its simply one who doesn't/will not spend their money on anything, does't matter even if they want it or even NEED it. They will always choose the FREE option.

I'm not really like this but I prefer to use the word "frugal" to describe myself because I hate spending $ on stupid stuff just to spend $. But I do enjoy buying things, like electronics. I just use my $ more wisely I guess you could say than the typical consumer. Cruises don't count in this theory; you have to have a vacation once a while to stay sane in this crazy world.:D

A cheap person, and I use the word loosely, will never spend $ at all no matter what.

Prioritize is another element of this discussion.......I drive a 6 year old paid in full FORD...........but I cruise or take a nice trip twice a year:)

There are threads about skipping tipping. There are threads about how to beat RCI out of the cost of a drink....when these are posted, the common word that is in all our minds is probably... (using probably eliminates those accusing me of labeling people) cheap.

For example.....

The traveler who carries their own bags on and off has no obligation to the porters....a service not used...so they are not cheap.

Please! Do not flame each other (heck nor me)...just a simple conversation amoungst friends ( someone once said "can't we all get along??????)???

Some one who is cheap knows the cost of everthing and the value of nothing !

Someone beat me to it...I was going to say I am 'frugal', not cheap. I am going to be cruising in an inside cabin with my DH, DD, and DS next May. I'm doing this so I can afford to spend money on other things as we've never been on a true family vacation and my kids are 11 and 6.

I think cheap people have the money and don't want to spend it and frugal people have little money and spend it wisely.

I just started clipping coupons and save about $50 everytime I shop. I think this is frugal. But I buy very good cuts of meat from the butcher and nice cheeses and the like because I love to cook and eat good food.

I just bought all my kids clothes for our cruise next year. Nice dresses for my DD and a vest and suit coat for my son, nice pants and polos and capris and skirts and shorts and t-shirts and tanks for my DD. It was at my favorite kids clothing store (GREAT quality) and everything was on sale for $4.99 and under and I had a 15% coupon as well as an additional 15% off. I bought 28 articles of clothing for $115.00 and they are all set for next year and will be dressed well for dinner and the like.

I think there is a fine line between cheap and frugal, but I'd hate to be called cheap because to me that is insulting. I am proud to be called frugal. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Oh and those people that separate their 2-ply toilet paper- definitely CHEAP!:D

Looking at our life-style, one might think we are cheap! LOL

My husband drives a 1995 Nissan Maxima, with no AC, a rusted exhaust, and over 210,000 miles! However, he drives it only 4 miles to work and back every day. I have a nicer car, and we are planning on buying a new car this summer. We rarely go out to eat at home, and we live on a tight budget.

That being said, we are taking a 16 day vacation (B2B cruise and staying in Old San Juan for a few days). We have a balcony hump cabin, are buying a brand new camera for the cruise, and flying first class from Michigan to San Juan. We are sparing no expense to do the excursions we want, and we budget tips and fuel surcharges (crossing fingers they don't come back), so that is part of our vacation.

We live "cheap, frugal, thrifty" whatever you want to call it, so we can cruise in luxury once or twice a year.

We also have NO debt other than out house payment.

If those things make us cheap, then so be it! We are happy with our frugal life-style at home because we always have an amazing cruise vacation to look forward to.

Cheap or smart - present question fly out of FLL for $300 less than Miami for our Seattle trip - but have to pay for parking in FLL $20 X 10 = $200. Cheap or smart thinking????

My only beef about cheapness - is when a bill arrives after having dinner with another couple/girlfriend and you want to split the bill and someone says, I didn't order an appetizer but tastes all of yours. Say you are low on funds, but don't try and escape paying fare share.

Cheap or smart - present question fly out of FLL for $300 less than Miami for our Seattle trip - but have to pay for parking in FLL $20 X 10 = $200. Cheap or smart thinking????

Have you tried ParknGo out of FLL? About 1/2 the airport cost for parking with a free shuttle. Frugaler, or smarterer (cheaper) I think they are $7 per day with 1 free on longer parking.

Prioritize is another element of this discussion.......I drive a 6 year old paid in full FORD...........but I cruise or take a nice trip twice a year:)

I drive a 12 year old paid for Saturn (still has less than 80,000 miles on it):)... To me, a car is nothing more than something to get you from point A to point B and I can't understand people who drive expensive cars or have to have a new car every few years... don't they realize that cars depreciate in value as soon as you drive them off the lot??? You will never get what you paid for that car...

To me, being frugal is being mindful of how and what you spend your money on... not living above your means, not trying to keep up with the Joneses....

Being cheap is when you make a spending choice that has a negative effect on someone else and you do so without regard for that person... I associate "cheapness" with selfishness....

I've learned we are all "cheap" and "spendy" in different area's. I spend my cash flow where I desire and respect the same of others. You want a bar tab or spa visit, no problem enjoy. Instead I often choose a balcony or pricey excursions. To each thier own...:p Makes no matter to me what corners people take to cut costs as long as it is morally justified. (ex. skipping tips = not justified)

Happy sails to you,

Patty

IMO, someone is being cheap when they are saving money at someone else's expense . i.e. skipping the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping, going to a restaurant and not paying your share of the bill (even though you ate the food), not offering to buy a round of drinks (even though several others have already done so and you had no problems accepting the ones handed to you), skipping the specialty restaurant onboard even though your spouse would love to dine there, etc.

I drive a 12 year old paid for Saturn (still has less than 80,000 miles on it):)... To me, a car is nothing more than something to get you from point A to point B and I can't understand people who drive expensive cars or have to have a new car every few years... don't they realize that cars depreciate in value as soon as you drive them off the lot??? You will never get what you paid for that car...

That's like saying eat hamburger, it will fill you up as well as fillet mignon and be out of your system in 36 hours anyway :eek: I enjoy my very expensive car and I get to enjoy it daily. I can afford it so that's not a problem.

For example.....

What one person might call cheap, to another person it might be the difference taking a cruise and not having the money to cruise.

Archived