Memorial Day Thoughts

sealady1

Good Morning Everyone,

As we all go about our day today let us all take a moment to remember those who sacrificed their lives so that we may enjoy the goodness and freedoms of this great country that we are so very blessed to live in.

Have a good day everyone.

I was so busy reading and writing happily in the cruise forums, I'd almost forgotten why I am off today to enjoy these things. *looks very ashamed*

Yes, thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who served our country so that we could live happy little lives here in the States. What you have done and sacrificed is appreciated, we won't forget. Even if you never saw battle, you still took risks so that we all could remain safe. Thank you :)

I am going to go across the street today and thank the retired military man for his service. Thanks for the idea, sealady :)

I woke up thinking about my dad today. He served for 33 years in the Air Force. He died this past January, and was buried with full military honors at Arlington this May. Today is my first Memorial Day with my dad.:(

I woke up thinking about my dad today. He served for 33 years in the Air Force. He died this past January, and was buried with full military honors at Arlington this May. Today is my first Memorial Day with my dad.:(

My sympathies - my father also served in the Air Force.

Let's remember all of those who served and particularly those that paid the highest price.

I spent my first 16 years as an army dependent. Didn't know that there were people whose daddys didn't wear uniforms and go overseas for long periods of time. Memorial Day and Veterans' Day have alway been very meaningful for me and for a good part of my life were celebrated on post.

My father retired after 23 years and service in 3 wars. He's been dead for a good while now but these holidays are still meaningful to me. Let us all remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom and those who served.

It is the

VETERAN,

not the preacher,

who has given us freedom of religion.

It is

the VETERAN,

not the reporter,

who has given us freedom of the press.

It is

the VETERAN,

not the poet,

who has given us freedom of speech.

It is

the VETERAN,

not the campus organizer,

who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is

the VETERAN,

not the lawyer,

who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is

the VETERAN,

not the politician,

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the

VETERAN who

salutes the Flag,

It is

the

VETERAN

who serves

under the Flag,

ETERNAL

REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON

THEM.

Thank you to all the veterans and their families who have fought for our freedom. To those who have shed blood in the mud of foreign countries and here at home. To those who stand guard at America's gates to keep our freedom. To those who do the daily tasks that keep our nation free. We support you, we revere you and we thank you.

I visited my dad's grave yesterday ~ he was in the Army Air Corps (forerunner of the US Airforce) and was an AVN Cadet. He passed away in 1965, when I was in my teens, but it seems like just yesterday. Thanks to all who have served and who are serving now and thanks for posting this thread.

Thank you for the reminder of why we are all off work today. My grandfather always reminded me that none of the things we enjoy so much in this country would be possible without the sacrifice of those who served and their families as well who give in a different way. He lost his hearing in his left ear at the Battle of the Bulge from a shrapnel injury so he always carried that with him. He died a few years ago and I always remember the honor with which he served his country and lived his life. I pray for those families who have lost loved ones and those who are serving today. Have a happy memorial day everyone.

I too am grateful to all who served and sacrificed. And, I am touched by your posts of how your father or mother's service affected your lives - your sacrifices helped to protect our freedoms too.

While our son has not had to experience those sacrifices, he has had the privilege to travel and show his respect for those that served and protected our nation.

I remember well his expression of sorrow and pride when we visited the beaches and grave sites of Normandy. And, he was honored and I proud to lay a wreath at Arlington with his middle school class on their trip to Washington. I will long remember the expression of strong feelings by those youngster who also visited Gettysburg, the World War II, Korea and Vietnam war memorials as well as the Hollocaust Museum (another reminder fo why our soldiers fight) on that trip.

May God continue to bless those fallen heros, those that did serve and keep on serving, and all their families on this Memorial Day.

I was on one of the ships that were taking part in the search of the remains of the nuclear powered submarine USS Scorpion in 1969. We spent 60 days stationed at the search site from July through August of 1969, about 400 nautical miles Southwest of the Azores. We did have a memorial ceremony for the almost 100 fellow sailors who lost their lives and rested almost 2 miles below. A very solemn day..

Here's a link to the site that the XO of the USS Apache posted - It's hard to remember being that young...

http://apache67.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_apache67_archive.html

it is the

veteran,

not the preacher,

who has given us freedom of religion.

It is

the veteran,

not the reporter,

who has given us freedom of the press.

It is

the veteran,

not the poet,

who has given us freedom of speech.

It is

the veteran,

not the campus organizer,

who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is

the veteran,

not the lawyer,

who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is

the veteran,

not the politician,

who has given us the right to vote.

It is the

veteran who

salutes the flag,

it is

the

veteran

who serves

under the flag,

eternal

rest grant them o lord, and let perpetual light shine upon

them.

amen

Freedom Is Not Free

Kelly Strong

I watched the flag pass by one day.

It fluttered in the breeze.

A young Marine saluted it,

and then he stood at ease.

I looked at him in uniform

So young, so tall, so proud,

He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him

Had fallen through the years.

How many died on foreign soil?

How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?

How many died at sea?

How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?

No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of TAPS one night,

When everything was still

I listened to the bugler play

And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times

That TAPS had meant "Amen,"

When a flag had draped a coffin

Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,

Of the mothers and the wives,

Of fathers, sons and husbands

With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard

At the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in Arlington.

No, freedom isn't free.

Thank you to all past, present and future who have given and are giving of themselves for my freedom. God Bless and keep you in his arms.

Crew-News and Joanie

Thank you to everyone who has served their country to bring freedom for all, and to their families for the sacrifices they have made in their loved one's absence.

In high school, my girlfriend and I became pen pals with a couple of fellows in Viet Nam - mine returned safely, hers didn't. I think of him from time to time, as he was only 23 when he died; what a sad thing for a family to have to endure.

Unfortunately nothing in this world is free - and that includes freedom. Blessings to all.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Thank you to everyone who has served their country to bring freedom for all, and to their families for the sacrifices they have made in their loved one's absence.

In high school, my girlfriend and I became pen pals with a couple of fellows in Viet Nam - mine returned safely, hers didn't. I think of him from time to time, as he was only 23 when he died; what a sad thing for a family to have to endure.

Unfortunately nothing in this world is free - and that includes freedom. Blessings to all.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

The most popular poem from world war one, written in Flanders, Belgium, not very far from Ypres by Dr. McCrae - battlefield physician:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

With this poem, the poppy became the flower of Remembrance day, and "never again" became the chorus of WWI veterans.

The poppy is still the remembrance day flower, but wars are fought again and again...

Smooth sailing...

"Your silent tents of green

We deck with fragrant flowers;

Yours has the suffering been,

The memory shall be ours."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I too grew up as a military dependent, moving from pillar to post as dad was transferred, waiting at home for his return when he was overseas. He's been gone for years, but not so long that I don't always remember him, and the millions of others who serve/served to keep us free.

My husband and I attended a Memorial Day service in his home town today. A young marine who has been deployed three times to combat duty spoke. He said his assignment now is much harder, because he has to knock on doors to let loved ones know their soldier has died serving his/her country.

Many of you probably attended services today at a cemetary, church, memorial park, or gathered around the US Post Office flag like we were. Our speaker informed us services like ours were held all over the world at grave sites where our soldiers are buried.

You probably had military speakers, also, who spoke on behalf of all who serve. At what Memorial Day Service did our Commander-in-Chief speak? Is Arlington Cemetary the "official" site of our country's Memorial Day service.

Thank you all for your service to our country.

The video posted is very touching.

I spent a good part of the day today thinking about my Dad who proudly served this country in the US Army, was wounded in Korea and since 1994 has been laying in rest at Bourne National Cemetery on Cape Cod. He was the best father and I miss him so much. I have also thought a lot about the man who would have been my father-in-law. Paul Henry Sheehan was a US Marine who, after being wounded and nearly killed,recovered from his injuries, and then went to Vietnam where he was killed. He left behind his wife and family of eight children, one of whom is my husband, who served as a US marine as well. I love hearing stories about what a wonderful husband and father this man, a true American hero was. I only wish that I could have known him in person. One last thing that I thought about today is how so very thankful I am that my dear dear nephew, a US Marine, who has been serving in Afghanistan, has made it home to us safe and sound. I hope and pray for the safety and well-being of those men and women who are still over there protecting our freedom which we all hold so dear.

I am so touched by the loving memorials posted by everyone here today. My father served in World War II in the Army, and he exemplified the "Greatest Generation". This is our second Memorial Day, as he was taken from us late in 2007, and I spent most of the morning in tears.

I am married to a USMC Vietnam Vet, and darned proud of him too! Moreover, I and am continually moved by the bravery and selflessness of the fine men and women whose boots I will never be good enough to shine who serve today.

May God keep them safe from harm, and may we always remember that Freedom is anything but "Free".

The cartoon below really sent the message home for me:

securedownload11.jpg

Archived