Barcelona vs Rome - Best to Visit?

We are deciding between a 12-day Eastern Med on NCL that leaves from Barcelona or a 10-day Eastern Med on NCL that leaves from Rome. Same ports except on the 10-day from Rome we lose Barcelona and Malta--but it does leave us a few extra days to see Rome before our cruise. From experience, which port is better to depart from and spend a few extra days at--Barcelona or Rome? Thank you for your help!

First, welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

We have been to both cities, and your question is sort of like asking which cruise line has the best food--it is pretty subjective. I'm sure you will get a lot of varying opinions.

Although both cities are interesting, my vote would be to see Rome. It is an amazing city, with so much history and renknowned structures and ruins. To be sure, Barcelona has a lot of history and interesting sights, but Rome just impressed us more. It is hard to compete with the likes of the Vatican, St. Peters cathedral, the Colisseum, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountains, and the Piazza Navona. Oh, and the gelato!!:D

Rome is one of my favorite places on earth, if not the favorite. It's not the easiest port in the world to leave from, but Rome is worth a little extra effort.

Barcelona is also great, with fantastic architecture and a new, easy to get to port.

I vote for Rome.

We stayed for three days in Rome last September before going on a 12-day Med cruise and we were busy every minute.

Next year we are doing the same ports but it starts in Barcelona, and I know that we won't have nearly as many things that we want to see there.

In Rome, take a comprehensive Vatican tour that gets you into all the good places: Sistine chapel, art gallery, pope tombs, with time to spend in St. Peter's (they have mass at 4:00 and you cannot come in and wander around looking at the art).

Coliseum, Catacombs, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon. We walked everywhere and loved all the shops, too.

When we spent a day in Barcelona, we visited Las Ramblas, and Gothic square. Will see unfinished church next. Not sure what else is worth it.

Mine is another vote for Rome, IMHO way way more to offer than Barca.

Plus, time in Rome as a port-of-call is limited by the minimum 90 mins travel time e/w from the ship in Civitavecchia to Rome and, because of the distance, the extra time-in-hand you need to allow to be sure of meeting the "back on board" time.

There's other factors in choosing, such missing Malta, but specifically on adding a few days to the departure port I'd go for Rome any time.

John Bull

I'm sure Barcelona is wonderful, but like many of the above posters, I am partial to Rome. I'm sure you'll find plenty to explore in each city, so neither is a "bad" choice. It's a win-win situation.

We have been to both cities many times.

It really depends on what you are most interested in seeing.

Rome obviously has a lot to offer.

Barcelona is modern and also quiet wonderful.

One thing that has not been mentioned here, is how easy it is to get on and off the ship and to the airport. Barcelona is much easier and less expensive. If you use ship transfers then it might not make a difference because the cruise line will handle every. We usually arrange our own transfers and Rome is mor expensive.

No matter which you choose you are in for a treat.

Really tough decision. Maybe a good reason to choose Barcelona - Med cruises are so port intensive that you really get burned out fast. What we did was when we got back to Barcelona we took four extra days and visited Mallorca and just unwound on the many beautiful beaches they had there. The airfare was like $100 pp roundtrip and we stayed at the Marriott resort for about $100 per night. Just an alternative.

On our first Med cruise we only had a few hours in Rome, so we knew we had to return to really see this beautiful city. Last September we spent six days in Florence and a week in Rome. We also spent three days in Barcelona prior to our second Med cruise. While we both enjoyed Barcelona immensely, I don't think it can compare to Rome. Whichever you decide, I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience. But my vote would definitely be Rome!

Barcelona is a lovely city -- it is a great port of call - everything is readily available from the port,so you can get a pretty good visit that way. Rome is something else entirely -worth many days to see what is really three cities: the classical Rome of the Caesars, the home of much of the Renaissance, and a modern business and cultural center.

Barcelona is worth seeing -- Rome is a must-see. And, because it is a fair distance from the port of Civita Vecchia, you cannot see any real part of it in the time allowed on a one day port call.

We spent 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise and had a wonderful time but by far our most most memorable excursion was in Rome. Standing on the same stone path that Caesar and his troops walked on was amazing. My opinion is fly into Barcelona to start a cruise that visits Rome.

We spent 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise and had a wonderful time but by far our most most memorable excursion was in Rome. Standing on the same stone path that Caesar and his troops walked on was amazing. My opinion is fly into Barcelona to start a cruise that visits Rome.

I'd recommend the exact opposite -- Rome needs time to see -- and has incomparably more to see than has Barcelona --- stay in Rome for several days, then sail on a cruise that stops at Barcelona.

Rome rome rome rome rome rome rome rome

:)

If you've done Rome, that may be a reason to see Barcelona, but Rome is the Eternal city for a reason. Seeing the Colloseum for the first time was a big event on my bucket list.

If you can do both, do so. If you can only do one, then starboarder has it right.

Paul

Archived