Connecting through JFK

KS&JW

I am flying from SFO to IST in August. I would like to arrive around noon so my options are limited. The top two are:

Delta 262 to JFK, then Delta 72 to IST. or

Lufthansa 9369 to IAD, Luft 9281 to MUC then Luft 3350 to IST.

The first two are United code share, but I do not have those United flight #s

The Delta flights with just one stop are the obvious choice. However, I have always avoided JFK due to its size and all the problems that come with a huge airport.

I would appreciate any opinions on this.

Thoughts? What price did you find? Are you finding the LH/UA flights on LH webpage? Have you looked at pricing directly on UA (I am assuming the first two legs of this flight, SFO-IAD-MUC are on UA)? Sometimes with a codeshare, the same flights will cost less booked through the other airline.

Personally, because if you have to fly in coach it's comfortable to have as much room as possible, I would choose any UA flight where I could get economy plus. LH in coach is horrible. DL I have no recent experience with. I don't find connecting at IAD or MUC to be bad. Keep in mind that at IAD in the summer, thunderstorms can be bad in the afternoon and cause flight delays.

I frequently travel to and through JFK. In fact, given my choice, I fly AA from LAX to JFK instead of PHX or LAX to LGA.

As PennyAgain posted, MAKE SURE you enough time for your connection. It won't be too bad transferring from a domestic flight to your international flight. Generally all in one terminal even if you come in on a RJ although Delta still has some gates in Terminal 4 (I think).

As PennyAgain posted, MAKE SURE you enough time for your connection. It won't be too bad transferring from a domestic flight to your international flight. Generally all in one terminal even if you come in on a RJ although Delta still has some gates in Terminal 4 (I think).

Hate to be too much of a newbie, but how would I "make sure" that I have enough time? It seems that most of the connecting flights are in the 1.5 hour range. Is that just not enough? :confused:

1 hr 30min on the JFK flight

1 hr 40min on the IAD flight

1 hr 15min on a ORD flight that I passed over for being too tight and just not being a fan of that airport.

There is also a Continental flight connecting in EWR with a two hour layover. Is that a winner simply due to that?

My options are limited due to my arrival time. But when I was more flexible times, the layovers seemed to either be in this same range or 8+ hours.

1.5 hours at JFK is marginal at best. 1 hour at IAD ..... I wouldn't do an international departure with only 1 hour. Delays out of JFK are all too common.

I'm in and out of IAD on a fairly regular basis and 1hr is fine assuming your flights are on time. I've transferred from regional jets (with gate checked bags and a shuttle to take) to international flights with 40 minute connections more than once and had no problems.

I don't expect those unfamiliar with IAD to think 1hr is fine but really it isn't too bad. A UA-UA mainline connection at IAD would all be within Concourse C and D.

-Would you have to change terminals at JFK? If not, why is the airport so difficult for you?

-Are you sailing the day you arrive? What are the flight options if you miss a connection (assuming the airline puts you on the next flight-- not always a certainty)?

In general, I'd minimize my number of connectons, to minimize the chances of delays at airports, delayed flights, etc.

Hate to be too much of a newbie, but how would I "make sure" that I have enough time? It seems that most of the connecting flights are in the 1.5 hour range. Is that just not enough? :confused:

1 hr 30min on the JFK flight

1 hr 40min on the IAD flight

1 hr 15min on a ORD flight that I passed over for being too tight and just not being a fan of that airport.

There is also a Continental flight connecting in EWR with a two hour layover. Is that a winner simply due to that?

My options are limited due to my arrival time. But when I was more flexible times, the layovers seemed to either be in this same range or 8+ hours.

Your Delta domestic to Delta international SHOULD be fine with 1.5 hours IF your domestic flight is on time. You will have already checked your luggage through to IST, will have done all the passport stuff, cleared security, etc. You only have to get from one gate to another, although you MAY have to change terminals. As posted previously, I THINK Delta still has some gates in Terminal 4 (the old NW gates) which would require you to change terminals and reclear security. Delta T-2 (domestic flights) to Delta T-3 (all kinds of flights) is now an airside connection. I don't fly Delta, so am not 100% sure but believe this info to be accurate.

You may want to check out Flight Stats to see what gates your flights have actually been using.

You only have to get from one gate to another, although you MAY have to change terminals. As posted previously, I THINK Delta still has some gates in Terminal 4 (the old NW gates) which would require you to change terminals and reclear security. Delta T-2 (domestic flights) to Delta T-3 (all kinds of flights) is now an airside connection. I don't fly Delta, so am not 100% sure but believe this info to be accurate.

Almost perfect.

DL operates from the T2/3 complex, as well as having a few flights go out of T4. The T2/T3 mix is domestic and international departures in both, though they keep the RJs over in T2. The destinations for T4 are Barcelona, Malaga, Madrid, Valencia, Montego Bay, San Juan PR and Tokyo. There is an airside shuttle bus between T4 and T2 & T3, so you don't have to reclear security.

DL has been almost continually redoing their JFK operation, so all of this is written in quicksand. You can see a map of DL's terminals, as well as other DL JFK info at THIS LINK to the page on the DL website.

You may want to check out Flight Stats to see what gates your flights have actually been using.

I went to the JFK airport website and they will give you lots of status information - gate used, schedule and actual landing time, etc. It was very helpful. The current SFO-JFK flight is a different number, 2440, but same time etc. And it has been arriving at terminal 3 and the outbound to IST is also terminal 3. I wil also check out flight stats to double check the JFK info and look at the IAD flight. With this type of information I am better able to judge.

I wish to thank everyone for your help. :)

Archived