Will my phone work in Alaska? (T MOBILE)

zdkrempin

Also, remember to turn your phone off when not using it. If you end up in a roaming situation uses up the battery real fast! To be safe, I charged our batteries every night, and if I had forgotten to turn them off, the batteries were usually low!

Just an FYI to the OP. As long as you have a "full service" phone you will probably be okay. However, I have a pay as you go with T-Mobile and had almost no coverage anywhere in Alaska. I know most people have the full service but just wanted you to know in case.

Now that's weird:confused: As my Mom has TMobile pay as you go and has never had a problem getting a signal, either here with me in Anchorage or the cruise ports in SE we've done the last two years.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 4 years later...
Have TMobile and no problem calling in Alsaka ports. Was sure to turn off phone while on the boat - was told it could be a $7.50 per minute charge.

We just returned last Sunday, and we have T Mobile. We had no problem calling anytime we used our phone. We were in Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan.

Sorry to dredge an old thread, I just called TMobile and the CSR said to not even turn my phone on in Alaska because I would be hit with roaming charges. After reading this, I think I'm going to call again and see if I get the same response.

Does anyone have Tmobile and cruised recently? Were you hit with fees when you got back?

Called again to make sure 1st CSR and 2nd CSR gave me the same information. Both said that I would be hit with domestic roaming fees. However, when we drive into Canada, I can use data and texting without additional fees. If I call over wifi, that is free.

Called again to make sure 1st CSR and 2nd CSR gave me the same information. Both said that I would be hit with domestic roaming fees. However, when we drive into Canada, I can use data and texting without additional fees. If I call over wifi, that is free.

In complete seriousness, it's not uncommon to find customer service reps that don't realize Alaska is part of the United States. If you have a nationwide plan, there shouldn't be roaming charges.

I would think there's two parts to this very common CC question. All ports have cellphone coverage. It would depend on your plan as to whether you're charged more than your usual fees. (Not counting while on the ship)

Just an FYI to the OP. As long as you have a "full service" phone you will probably be okay. However, I have a pay as you go with T-Mobile and had almost no coverage anywhere in Alaska. I know most people have the full service but just wanted you to know in case.

What do you mean by "full service" cell phones? My mom had a TMobile flip and is still paying TMobile for her iPhone. :confused:

What do you mean by "full service" cell phones? My mom had a TMobile flip and is still paying TMobile for her iPhone. :confused:

You are asking about something that was posted 5 years ago. Phone plans and services have changed dramatically since then.

Have been going to Alaska fishing for past 15+years. Have Verizon service and have never been charged roaming charges. As long as the phone displays "Extended Service" you're OK. Travel all over state and very rarely do I not have service.

In complete seriousness, it's not uncommon to find customer service reps that don't realize Alaska is part of the United States. If you have a nationwide plan, there shouldn't be roaming charges.

I would think there's two parts to this very common CC question. All ports have cellphone coverage. It would depend on your plan as to whether you're charged more than your usual fees. (Not counting while on the ship)

I don't know if I want to risk the extra fees. I think it is crazy that when in the US I'd be hit with roaming, but not in Canada.

I don't know if I want to risk the extra fees. I think it is crazy that when in the US I'd be hit with roaming, but not in Canada.

I've had three different carriers in the past 12 months. Two national carriers, ATT and Verizon, and one Alaska only company, GCI. The national carriers have national plans. No brainer. GCI, an Alaska based carrier, will always have a signal outside Alaska, but has different plans, some of which are nationwide, others that charge roaming outside the state. That's what I mean by, everyone's phone should have a signal in ports, but they need to check their individual plans or services to find out if they'll be charged extra.

Why not just change your plan to nationwide for your trip? That's what my then GCI customer service rep suggested, as most of us don't go Outside very often. I'm planning an international trip this winter, and I'll just go on the Verizon site, change to International, then back again when I get home.

But I think we're all in agreement, don't turn your phone on while on the ship!

Edited by tee_harbor

But I think we're all in agreement, don't turn your phone on while on the ship!

I wish! I have older parents and want to make sure they are OK. I've told them to email me and I'd find a wifi signal when I'm in port to check in on them.

But I think I know what's going on. I can call nationwide, but I won't have data outside of Tmobile areas. I can turn off data roaming on my phone so I won't incur those charges. So the CSR was right, but only on the data/text options.

• 2 years later...

Just got back from 8/19-26/17 cruise (Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC) on Eurodam Holland America. ACTUAL experience SPECIFIC to T-Mobile (which varies 0-180 degrees via T-Mobile chat depending on who you happen to get):

Onboard: In port: same as being on land when signal sufficient. At sea: Connected to "Cellular at Sea": NO data allowed by T-Mobile, outgoing text stated to be 50 cents each (free incoming) and call @ $5.99/min! Didn't end up using. Nice to have option to use text to get in touch if needed with someone onboard or off. Inbound texts (should be free) from anywhere are great. The normal issue with surprise huge bills happens when your phone automatically connects to carrier DATA service and phone updates and apps sucking tons of data without alerting you, but since no data service is even allowed by T-Mobile on board, data use can't happen on board, and is thus NOT an issue. Note that we had T-Mobile roaming coverage in Pueget Sound and some places even several miles from shore, especially near Seattle. Also, note that using onboard wifi is free for ship provided info, like daily schedule and accounting, but seemed to prevent texting, and possibly calling. Thus, you may want to keep wifi off to allow calling and texting most of the time and only have it on when you want to check itinerary or bill.

TIP: If you bought internet wifi package, be sure to LOG OUT after using the internet, or your minutes will continue being consumed despite you closing your browser! Heard many folks complaining as customer service desk about running out of paid minutes after using internet for only a few minutes.

TIP: As long as you do NOT answer or place calls AND do NOT check your voice mail, and since there is no data service even available, you should never have any cost except 50 cent/msg. All the advice to turn off phone or put in airplane mode is way overstated IMO.

T-Mobile in Alaska using GCI functions just like T-Mobile in my home state. No roaming, high speed, no extra charges on my grandfathered Select Choice (same as Simple Choice). Strong coverage in every Alaska port.

TIP: you need to verify you are connected to GCI (NOT AT&T or others) or you will be using roaming (which TERMINATES data use after max 200MB of use (or less, ours is 5MB) until end of billing cycle. The roaming data limit applies at home too where I can't get T-Mobile! If not GCI, manually select GCI via your phone "other network" settings. Menus are phone model and o/s version specific - easy google search.

In Canada, only cost is calls @ 20 cents/minute - free with North America feature. Data is 2g speed - same behavior as Europe for us. Oddly, Alaska roaming via non-GCI tower is limited to max 200MB (5MB for our plan), whereas Canada 2g roaming is unlimited (like International abroad feature). If you have high speed data in Alaska, and you don't use GCI, your phone can suck through that 200MB (and stop data service altogether then) in a minute or 2 doing a few automatic and silent app upgrades, or a few photo uploads. Thus, use GCI, then your high speed limit is whatever your plan is, and 2g unlimited after that.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info on Verizon. We have Verizon and will be in Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage and will be interested in seeing how much coverage we find. When we are in Vancouver, I believe that the rate is about $.70 per minute.

For Verizon, rate is going to depend on which Verizon plan you have. On my plan, Canada is included with my regular data allowances. On plans where it isn't, you can sign up for Verizon's Travel Pass plan which is $5 per day in Canada and Mexico to get your regular plan allowances.