New Orleans Hotels

mation101

We are cruising the Voyager in January 2012. We have never been to New Orleans before and would appreciate some suggestions on which hotels to stay at. We will be flying in a day early. Price as always does count but, is not the final determining factor. We would like to be close to the French Quarter. We will have a car so any suggestions for where to eat would be appreciated also. I know I am early but I like to get things done ASAP :D. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Superdome for $99 per night. This included free parking for the duration of our cruise too! They offer shuttle service to the French Quarter area, as well as to the cruise port on the morning our cruise sets sail.

:cool:Bill

I booked a room at the Drury Inn in New Orleans. They have a park and cruise package - I think our room was $89 and the parking fee is $30 for the entire week. It includes free breakfast, free evening drinks and snacks, free internet, and has a pool. It's only 4 blocks from the French Quarter, and very close to a trolley stop.

We'll have to call a cab to and from the hotel to the pier, but the parking price is a good deal. And free breakfast and snacks (which include appetizers) are worth it for our family of 4.

I stayed at the Drury Inn in 2008, I thought it was close enough to everything, but also far enough that it was quiet. They have a roof-top pool too. I couldn't get a room this year because they were booked but it was my first choice.

Iv been at both the Drury and the Holiday Inn Superdome.

I loved Drury, but its a little more expensive (I paid close to $150 all told and last time they wanted over $200 total, is why I stayed at Holiday Inn). Drury had an hour of free phone calls, free happy hour with 3 strong drinks, 24/7 free coke machine and the cruise special includes a good free breakfast.

The Holiday Inn had covered garage parking, a plus, but the rooms were not as nice, the block in front of it had some deserted buildings, so they told us not to walk it after dark. They do have a free shuttle to take you to the french qtr, and to the port. We taxi'd home.

The Drury had lots of gorgeous marble, 20 ft soaring ceiling and a huge tv... two phone, it was just a nicer room they gave us.

For the price though, Id stay at the Holiday Inn again too. $99 was a DEAL.

We too are staying at the Drury in Dec. with a rate of $89.00 a night...but we won't need the parking as we are flying in on some unused air credits...I had some relitives of ours check out the hotel (they live in the area) and assured me it is a very good hotel and close to the French Quarter, but far enough away to be quiet..they informed me to stay away from any FQ hotels if I wanted to get some sleep...LOL....

• 2 weeks later...

I'd skip the car, pick a nice hotel in the French Quarter and then just cab in from the airport. I've had great stays at the Monteleone, the Ramada on Bourbon and the Royal Sonesta. Going in October for a couple of days and considering the Courtyard Marriott. This way you can walk and enjoy the French Quarter and catch a shuttle or cab the next morning to the port. Cab fare from the airport is $33 for two people I think.

I agree with rgalpaugh: forget the car, take a cab, and stay in the French Quarter or the CBD (Canal Street). Everything in the area is very walkable or you can catch a famous N'Awlins streetcar.

We got a recent rate of less than $100 at the OMNI French Quarter. The room was small, but clean, and the location was second to none. Try Priceline for a great rate, and use Better Bidding to find out which hotel you will most likely be bidding for.

Definitely need a cab to the pier, because while it is close it will be quite a hike with your luggage. As for food, we like ACME Oyster House, any of the Brennan's restaurants, Galatorie's... And a little cafe that I can't remember the name of but it's across the street from Napoleon House--the chef came out and spoke with us, found out what we were enjoying about the meal, and started sending out other food for us to sample. It was scrump-delish! Save that money for parking and get down with the rest of the tourists. You won't be sorry!

No need for a car, stay in French Quarter and walk everywhere then taxi to ship. We like to stay at the Iberville Suites, Marriott, Monteleone or Royal Sonesta as well. Noise has never been a problem at any of these for us. Our favorite restaurants in the area are Galatoire's, Arnaud's, Acme Oyster, Brennan's, Commander's Palace (have to taxi there), and of course you need a Hurricane from Pat O'brien's. Not to mention beignets at Cafe Du Monde! Love New Orleans and all it has to offer so close to ship, imho

We're on the Triumph in September, 7 day cruise. The Holiday Inn has free parking for the whole time? Free shuttle to the pier, but you had to catch a cab back to the hotel from the pier upon return?

We sail in 2 months and haven't booked a room yet. I guess we need to hurry up and do so.

We have stayed at the Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter and loved it. For our cruise in January, we are tossing around the idea of staying there again or the Windsor Court. The Windsor Court is very close to the pier, but not sure if it's within walking distance to the ship.

Glad to see so many good reviews for the Drury Inn. Right now you can get a great rate. Ask for the E rate or the summer special code SUPER. Either will get you an $89 rate plus $35 parking. Good luck!

I just tried this and got a rate of $259, total $295 for just 1 nite 3/26/11!! Is that a special time in NO? or did rates go up this much? :eek:Thanks

I just tried this and got a rate of $259, total $295 for just 1 nite 3/26/11!! Is that a special time in NO? or did rates go up this much? :eek:Thanks

Mardi Gras is the first week in March and Jazzfest is later in April - maybe a Spring Break type rate at that time. Try the Hilton Riverside. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago - booked through Priceline at $52 a night. Got a great room on the 17th floor overlooking the river. Regular rates at that time were around $100 per night. It is only a couple of blocks down from the cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

we just got off the phone with the Holiday Inn-Superdome and the $99.00 rate is not available for Friday September 10. they quoted us a rate of $169.00. The hotel clerk who answered the phone did tell us $99.00, but he didn't ask us what date and transferred us to reservations, who could not give us the same rate.

I looked up the (Super Bowl Champs)Saints schedule and their opening game is Thursday night, so I'm thinking the hotels are expecting all weekend football fans.

Now we have to find something that is cheap enough to offset the cost of parking at the port terminal garage. If I thought either one of us could stay awake all night to drive from Dallas to NO, we might try that, but I don't think either of us could stay awake.

should have booked this 3 months ago.....:(:rolleyes:

after what seemed like an interminable amount of time surfing hotel websites, Googling, Yahooing, Pricelining, we booked a room at the Drury, for $119.00 + $35.00 parking.

Every combination we tried of various cheap hotels (with lousy Trip Advisor reviews)outside of NO + port parking, Holiday Inn's higher price, the Drury + cab fare to and from the port, etc., all totalled about the same price. Less than $20.00 difference, no matter how the King of web research sliced it. We froze up my computer at one point because we had so many windows open it couldn't handle it!

But we finally booked a place to stay for the night before the cruise.:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
We stayed at the Hotel Provincial last year. Very quaint hotel, close to everything. I also would skip the car and walk instead.:)

I just booked this for our 2 nights post-cruise. Reviews on Tripadvisor are good! Price is right. Looks to be a good location!

We also have the Prince Conti reserved for 3 nights pre-cruise, with 2 other couples.

None of us has ever been to NOLA and wanted to stay in the French Quarter!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Archived