Personal extension cords now forbidden

mangetakk

For those that are, like most of us, dependent on your personal electronics to get through life, I *highly* recommend the Chargepod system from Callpod http://www.callpod.com/power

I have a regular Chargepod, which will charge 6 devices at once using 1 outlet (so we charge the iPod, the Droids, the Kindles, and my camera) and I also have a FuelTank Duo (which will recharge from the ChargePod) that I carry in my purse in case I need to recharge a phone battery or a camera battery while out and about, and on the plane in case the iPod or Kindle runs low.

You can catch them on sale now & again - they had a deal around Mothers Day for both a Chargepod and the FuelTank Duo for $60 total.

It's a fantastic device, with a ton of options for charging cords, I highly recommend not only for anyone who travels, but even for at home - it's really nice to dump all the charging cords in favor of one space-saving solution.

(I am in no way affiliated with Callpod. I'm just a happy fan - I give these things as gifts all the time.)

We're cuurently on the Millie, traveling Vancouver to Seward. On departure, one bag didn't make it through the Celebrity security. Had to go to security to retreive it and was told that I can no longer bring my own extension cord for my CPAP / phone / computer. They confiscated my cord, said that they would return it on departure, and provided a ship provided cord with a single tap. I understand the fire concerns of an inadequate extension cord. Mine was certainily as good or better than the one the ship provided. The front line security did recognize that my cord was high quality and did make a call to a security supervisor, who would not take the time to look at my cord, and insisted that I use the ship provided cord. So just be aware that personal extension cords and power strips are newly added to the Celebrity forbidden list.

We have NEVER had need of an extension cord and/or power strip. We carry cell phones (which we don't use on board) and some other stuff (no computers). Room outlets have always been adequate for us. Can understand that extension cords in every cabin could "overflow" the ship's electrical system. We're on vacation so we leave all that stuff at home. I would think that cords for a C-Pac could possibly be a medical necessity.

I haven't had time to look at every post on this thread, so forgive me if this has been addressed.

When the older ships were designed, even just ten years ago, I don't think the use of so much personal electronics was anticipated. With laptops, cellphones, games, handheld gps devices, kindles, and so on, the designers figured one outlet per room would be sufficient. It's clear now that passengers have larger electrical needs, so two or three outlets should be standard in new designs.

Part of it could also be in the cost to provide the extra juice. It has to come from somewhere, and fuel is burned to run alternators (or generators and inverters). Individually, it may not seem like a huge economic issue, but multiply by 3,000. Think of the cabin as an apartment you lease, and utilities are included. The landlord would prefer you not use so much electricity, since he/she's paying the bill. Anything the landlord can do to subtly discourage the use, he/she's going to be motivated to do.

I know the cruise lines monitor these boards, so I won't mention that they could consider putting in electric and water meters, and billing us for our actual use--- oh, crap. Too late.

I know the cruise lines monitor these boards, so I won't mention that they could consider putting in electric and water meters, and billing us for our actual use--- oh, crap. Too late.

How do you know that cruise lines monitor CruiseCritic?

As an opener I haven't read the entire thread.

On our recent Solstice cruise, I set up so that I had the side of the bed closest to the balcony door. I kept my CPAP machine on the tiny night table the entire trip plugged in to an extension cord which ran along the balcony door along the wall to the dresk where it was plugged into an octopus along with the camera battery and cell phone chargers. The octopus was then plugged into one of the outlets leaving the other open for the hairdryer used by DW.

The cabin attendant did not touch the setup the entire week. So I guess it was OK.

How do you know that cruise lines monitor CruiseCritic?

I recall it being mentioned by others. At our last Connections party, the CD said they definitely keep an eye on the boards. I recently came across an old thread started by a former Celebrity employee, and he confirmed this as well:

The cruise lines DO read the posts. They are very interested to hear what guests are telling each other. And they take it very seriously too. Especially Cruise Critic. You probably already know, but Cruise Critic has their own party on board each ship for each cruise. Any time you have the word "critic" in your name, hospitality industries take notice. You please these people, word of mouth is positive. Comment cards are taken very seriously; every written comment is read by head office. But on here, it's volunteered. It means more from this site.

Here's the thread, if you're interested, post #17. It's from 2004, but I would think it still holds true.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=110858

That's why smuggling/rumrunner threads amaze me.

We know because X employees have told us so, and X has even, in at least one case, asked posters here not to put information on this site, in the case of the formerly-available spreadsheet of where the various captains, entertainers, and activity staff were.

Are crew members allowed to post on CruiseCritic?

No. I have been told this specifically by officers on board.

I think this would present conflict-of-interest issues that Cruise Critic would not welcome. Could you imagine the cheerleading done by moles named "NotACelebrityEmployee,Really" and "WhatMakesUThinkIWork4X?" If word got out that this was happening, this forum's credibility would be in serious jeopardy. Therefore, I'm sure Cruise Critic has asked all cruise lines to require that their employees not participate.

The thread I referenced was by an ex-employee who had mostly good things to say about Celebrity, but was still careful not to reveal identifying information about himself, lest he burn any bridges should he decide to return.

I think this would present conflict-of-interest issues that Cruise Critic would not welcome. Could you imagine the cheerleading done by moles named "NotACelebrityEmployee,Really" and "WhatMakesUThinkIWork4X?" If word got out that this was happening, this forum's credibility would be in serious jeopardy. Therefore, I'm sure Cruise Critic has asked all cruise lines to require that their employees not participate.

The thread I referenced was by an ex-employee who had mostly good things to say about Celebrity, but was still careful not to reveal identifying information about himself, lest he burn any bridges should he decide to return.

Perhaps you should visit the Holland America board to see posts by DBA (Dutch by Association) who is a Holland America employee in Seattle. He posts regularly and is very helpful in explaining HAL's position on issues. Apparently HAL's management is aware and supportive of his interactions. I personally feel that it would be advantageous for both the cruise lines and Cruise Critic to have a line employee posting on the boards. An open and frank discussion of issues can defuse many concerns.

I finally finished reading this thread and it prompted me to look at the electrical thingies I take on a cruise. Turns out ALL of them (Kindle, ipod, phone, netbook, camera, etc.) are dual voltage. Ditto my Revlon and Conair curling irons and my little hairdryer. Main camera and sound machine use AA batteries and I discovered I also have a small dual voltage battery charger. Sooooo, I'm going to forego the extension cord I usually bring and just throw in a couple of adapters which look to cost $2 or thereabouts at Walmart or Target. Glad I read this - how simple. :)

I can't get past the list of banned items... bleach and paint. WHY? would you want to bring bleach and paint on a cruise? WTH are you going to paint? the cabin?

Well, I could kinda see a serious germaphobe bringing a small bottle of bleach, but you've got me stumped on the paint! :rolleyes:

I need to have a power strip for the scooter BiPAP and humidifier. The nice fellow in the special needs department made a note on my portfolio. I asked if Celebrity would provide a power strip, he said yes. Now you and I know sometimes things do not go as planned. So I asked "What if I bring my own power strip? He said the the electricians on board would have to inspect it. So I am going to bring a power coard "just in case" If I don't need it then it was extra baggage. If I do I am prepared ☺

Perhaps you should visit the Holland America board to see posts by DBA (Dutch by Association) who is a Holland America employee in Seattle. He posts regularly and is very helpful in explaining HAL's position on issues. Apparently HAL's management is aware and supportive of his interactions. I personally feel that it would be advantageous for both the cruise lines and Cruise Critic to have a line employee posting on the boards. An open and frank discussion of issues can defuse many concerns.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I agree that it would be helpful if the cruise lines, Celebrity and others, would have an official representative to these boards for a more interactive relationship. It would have to be an open and honest exchange for it to work.

The scenario I was picturing was more related to the cruise line employee who fails to identify him/herself as such, causing anything they may say as being construed as propaganda if they were subsequently discovered to be an employee. If they're seen more as an unobjective "plant" than someone who is free to speak their mind without fear of reprisal from their employer, I feel it would reflect badly on both the cruise line and Cruise Critic. It says a lot for HAL that they're willing to let an employee have free reign.

We just came off of Summit, and the power cord supplied was a hospital-grade 15 amp power connector with a larger diameter wire than I use to run my electric weed wacker. The cord, a Hubbell HBL8215C can be bought online for about $15-$20, but would be a huge burden to pack and travel with. Take a look at these pictures, and compare to the extension cord that you were planning on bringing with you, and you get some idea of why Celebrity wants to provide its own cord. Incidentally, length was more than adequate to reach from head of bed across the room to outlets on the desk without tripping anyone walking past it.

IMG_3262.jpgIMG_3263.jpg

Archived