Personal extension cords now forbidden

mangetakk

We're cuurently on the Millie, traveling Vancouver to Seward. On departure, one bag didn't make it through the Celebrity security. Had to go to security to retreive it and was told that I can no longer bring my own extension cord for my CPAP / phone / computer. They confiscated my cord, said that they would return it on departure, and provided a ship provided cord with a single tap. I understand the fire concerns of an inadequate extension cord. Mine was certainily as good or better than the one the ship provided. The front line security did recognize that my cord was high quality and did make a call to a security supervisor, who would not take the time to look at my cord, and insisted that I use the ship provided cord. So just be aware that personal extension cords and power strips are newly added to the Celebrity forbidden list.

They supplied a power cord for my CPAP last March on the Summit that was terribly frayed. I had brought a power cord and used that instead after I saw the condition of the one they gave me. I have a number of camera chargers, phone etc. to charge. One plug would never do. :eek:

If you visit the Oceania threads you will see posts by Frank Del Rio, he is chairman of management company. He will step up, when justified, to explain or justify or correct shortcomings. Search for "berries" for an example.

I can't get past the list of banned items... bleach and paint. WHY? would you want to bring bleach and paint on a cruise? WTH are you going to paint? the cabin?

Who knows?

It kills me the stuff and amount of stuff some people feel they "need" to bring with them. I have seen some packing lists posted that would lead one to think the person was planning to move onto the ship permanently.

• 2 months later...

I certainly believe that cords/power strips needed for medical necessity should be allowed without question. That said, I personally have no issue with the cruise lines limiting their use for other needs, particularly with older ships.

Yes, I agree that as newer ships are built they absolutely should have better electrical outlet design (and quantity). But the fact is, older ships were not designed that way. To fight for the right to plug in five or six or more items at a time for convenience sake strikes me as questionable at best. Fire is truly the biggest risk to our safety at sea. The odds of a ship sinking these days are infinitesimal. The odds of a fire at sea unfortunately are not. Yes, you may be bringing a device that is sturdy and well built, but maybe the device of the passenger in the cabin next to you is not. Or maybe, despite your quality device, the electrical system in your cabin is just not capable of handling the load. Call me selfish, old-fashioned or worse, but I just do not want to risk my life so that you are not inconvenienced in any way.

As a suggestion to Celebrity, if the issue is truly the quality of the devices and not the circuit overload, then perhaps a sturdy electrical cord should begin to be standard issue in the cabins. If circuit overload is truly the issue, then I applaud Celebrity's safety concerns.

From what I read early in this thread, the extension cord provided by the ship is just that - an extension cord. It provides one outlet. That wouldn't help much if the need for the cord is to provide multiple outlets. My problem is that some of the chargers (transformers) just don't fit in the space provided for the outlet. I've never cruised Celebrity before but on both Princess and HAL there is just the one outlet over the desk and access to that is very limited.

I would also imagine that if power strips and extension cords are not allowed then anything that plugs into the outlet and provides multiple charging ports (such as the iPod/phone/etc. charger mentioned in an earlier post) would not be allowed.

I would also imagine that if power strips and extension cords are not allowed then anything that plugs into the outlet and provides multiple charging ports (such as the iPod/phone/etc. charger mentioned in an earlier post) would not be allowed.

Different principles at work. If you plug in multiple items drawing the same load (or attempting to draw the same load) from an outlet, you have overheating potential. That's where you run into issues. With the Chargepod, you're not overloading the outlet, it's pulling the same load if it's charging 1 item or if it's charging 6 items. No downside. :)

Different principles at work. If you plug in multiple items drawing the same load (or attempting to draw the same load) from an outlet, you have overheating potential. That's where you run into issues. With the Chargepod, you're not overloading the outlet, it's pulling the same load if it's charging 1 item or if it's charging 6 items. No downside. :)

Sounds reasonable but I wonder if the cruiseline would understand that and allow them? They might not see any difference between the 2 items. I think I will look into the Chargepod since we keep adding rechargeable items to the things that we take along with us on cruises. Can you use it to charge a computer? Probably not.

Well, I just searched and it can't be used to charge camera batteries or computers, just phones, iPods, ereaders, etc. which I don't really need.

Jaybird from SC--I'm with you. My cell phone is charged before I get onboard and turned off before I put it in the safe. The only thing I have ever needed to charge is camera batteries, which takes 15 min. using an existing outlet. I wouldn't have more room for any more stuff. It would take away shoe storage. :eek:

If I needed a medical machine I would demand a good cord or be too chicken to go.

Am I the only one who thought the huge list of things needing cord/outlets was tongue-in- cheek? :eek: I think I read most of the posts and didn't see anyone lol-ing it.

If you are cooking alligators shouldn't you need an alli pot? For crocodiles you need a croc pot. Just wondering. :D

We were on the Equinox in June, and I brought on a power strip without any problem. We use it to charge our iphones - which we don't necessarily use for phones, but it's also a camera and an ipod which I listen to at the pool. Honestly, though, this year we only brought one strip and used it for my daughters' cabin, whereas in the past we brought one for each cabin. They both charge their iphones, cameras and use it for their hair things. My husband and I were able to just use the two plugs by the desk and we took turns charging. It worked fine.

What is next - to be banned? Remember when they use to do:

1. Baked Alaska in the MDR with the little pot of flame.

2. Cook at the tables - Head Waiter cooked pasta or some other dish.

3. Cherries Jubilee or Banana Flambé

Those were stopped because of possible fire.

1. Sold booze by the bottle in the ship store and you could take it to your cabin.

2. Allowed you to bring wine, beer, water, booze onboard.

This was stopped because you may get drunk or cut into their profits.

1. Bring an extension cord or power strip.

2. I'm getting old and can't remember what else> LOL

When will we be required to wear helmets, elbow pads, knee pads,

to ensure when we fall we don't hurt the walls of the cabin. LOL

Where does it end? Do they not allow you to do any of this in a hotel? In reality, is a ship not a hotel (floating hotel?)

What is next????

1. Don't turn your lights on in the cabin if it is light outside?

2. Don't turn TV on after 10PM may use too much juice?

3. Don't take more than 1 shower per day?

OMG!!! Big Brother is watching! Better finish this before they catch me being online.

I was on the Solstice July 25 sailing. Based on the earlier postings in this thread I called Celebrity's Special Needs number prior to the cruise to request an extension cord for my CPAP and also to inquire about the policy. They said they were not aware of any prohibition against bringing my own cord, but they would provide one anyway (which they did). I also took a power strip for charging the cell phones and camera batteries. It stayed in plain sight and there was never any problem.

I was glad to have the cord Celebrity provided. Mine wouldn't have been long enough to reach from the outlet on the desk to my normal side of the bed (bed was located next to bath).

I guess I'm in the minority, but unless you have some type of special device (a CPaP comes to mind) I just don't get why one needs extension cords and power cords. I can plug in the hair dryer and curling iron and DH can use his electric razor with the outlets provided. And maybe I'll charge my cell phone the last night of the cruise. How many electronic devices does one need that you can't live without for a week?:confused:

How many electronic devices does one need that you can't live without for a week?:confused:

Beyond CPAP which one shouldn't live without: Laptops, e-readers, digital cameras, smart/cell phones, alarm clocks, razors, tooth brushes, iPod portable docks, to name a few. They all need to be charged sooner or later.

Just returned from the Aug 29 sailing to Alaska on Mercury.

One suitcase of our luggage was held back because of power bar (3 outlets with very short cord) and, as reported by others, we were not informed until just before departure which caused DW to break out in a panic as the missing suitcase contained all her clothing for the trip. (Note to self: split the packing between suitcases) and no-one on board could tell us why we did not receive our suitcase, other than: "did you have restricted items in your suitcase?".

As with other posters, I had checked all X documentation on forbidden items and as far as I knew I did not have any.

A.

Just returned from the Aug 29 sailing to Alaska on Mercury.

One suitcase of our luggage was held back because of power bar (3 outlets with very short cord) and, as reported by others, we were not informed until just before departure which caused DW to break out in a panic as the missing suitcase contained all her clothing for the trip. (Note to self: split the packing between suitcases) and no-one on board could tell us why we did not receive our suitcase, other than: "did you have restricted items in your suitcase?".

As with other posters, I had checked all X documentation on forbidden items and as far as I knew I did not have any.

A.

Oh, this is not good. We sail on the Mercury in November and really need a power strip since our camera battery chargers either won't fit in the space provided or take up both outlets when one is plugged in. And then there is the computer which we take to download pictures. We are both photographers and take 1000's of pictures per cruise. I would be considerate of Celebrity to inform us of this apparently new directive before we sail.

I would find that not having an extension cord would be a great inconvenience. I bring my own laptop and have difficulty finding a plug to use for it as it is. I usually end up quite a ways from a plug if I am using wifi somewhere out in the publice areas, and if I want to use it in the cabin I have the same problem, so the extension cord is a necessity.

judynorth and gadaboutgal:

I did bring a "three-for-one" plug (or whatever it may be called) and it did make it through the security scan without my luggage being held back.

When any of your luggage goes AWOL, check on deck 3. That's were the security area is.

Other useful notes:

There are actually two outlets in the cabin, one is 110V, the other 220V.

Most chargers (notebooks, cells, etc) will work on either voltage, just remember to bring a conversion plug (220V to 110V type).

So with an extension cord that you can get from X, a conversion plug and two "three-for one" plugs, you can actually have 6 outlets,

Then there is the shaver outlet, which would be OK for charging some equipment. The shaver outlet, which is part of the hair dryer in the bathroom, only works when the bathroom light is on, so if you want to use that for charging up electronics, leave the bathroom light on.

X might provide you with a multiple splitter, powerbar, extension cord, or ?? when asked.

But I did not ask, so I don't know. Generally they try to help and oblige. I have heard from some guests that they obtained ext cords from X.

A.

judynorth and gadaboutgal:

I did bring a "three-for-one" plug (or whatever it may be called) and it did make it through the security scan without my luggage being held back.

When any of your luggage goes AWOL, check on deck 3. That's were the security area is.

Other useful notes:

There are actually two outlets in the cabin, one is 110V, the other 220V.

Most chargers (notebooks, cells, etc) will work on either voltage, just remember to bring a conversion plug (220V to 110V type).

So with an extension cord that you can get from X, a conversion plug and two "three-for one" plugs, you can actually have 6 outlets,

Then there is the shaver outlet, which would be OK for charging some equipment. The shaver outlet, which is part of the hair dryer in the bathroom, only works when the bathroom light is on, so if you want to use that for charging up electronics, leave the bathroom light on.

X might provide you with a multiple splitter, powerbar, extension cord, or ?? when asked.

But I did not ask, so I don't know. Generally they try to help and oblige. I have heard from some guests that they obtained ext cords from X.

A.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like, as with a lot of other things, there is not a fleet-wide policy or else not fleet-wide enforcement. We will take our 3-outlet power cord and just see what happens. :)

What is the real reason they want to stop people from bring Extension Cords onboard?

1. Fire?

2. Consume electricity?

If it is Fire, then stop people from bringing lighters onboard and cigarettes. These are the biggest causes of fire.

How many times have we read about a fire caused by an extension cord?

Archived