Alaska–Need help deciding on Ship - HAL or Princess

samgill99

I would really appreciate some help on choosing which ship to cruise on for Alaska. The 3 that I’m looking at are HAL Oosterdam, Sapphire Princess and Golden Princess. They are all the same price for a balcony cabin and each leave a day apart which is making it very difficult for me to choose (I think the itinerary is pretty much the same too) . I have only ever cruised once before on Carnival. I am going with my husband – we both turn 40 this year and celebrate our 20th anniversary. We both love good food (looking forward to eating a lot :D)!! ! I do like to be active and all 3 ships have a fitness centre and jogging track. I just don't know :confused: Any insights and suggestions are more than welcome. I will also post this on the Princess Boards.

I've been on the Oosterdam and the Sapphire this year. You can't go wrong with Princess or HAL. While many people will tell you the service is SO much better on HAL I haven't found it to be that way. I too keep active and thought the gym sucked on the Sapphire. I like using the eliptical and there were none on the Sapphire. You will also find more activities on Princess.

Posting this on the HAL board should get you lots of recommendations for HAL. Post it on the Princess board and you're likely to hear the opposite.

I've cruised both and prefer HAL. I like the smaller ships, especially for Alaska.

Saw this on the front page...

Haven't cruised to Alaska before, but my parents did Alaska on the Sapphire and had great things to say. They even recommended Princess to my husband and I for our honeymoon cruise.

I was on the Golden to AK last year and loved it. I am trying HAL this year. I will have a better answer to your question at the end of July.

My mother has done both lines and prefers HAL. :)

You will be fine with either HAL Oosterdam or Sapphire Princess. They are both nice ships, as stated before the people who like Princess will say Princess and the ones who like HAL will say HAL, with the same price for a balcony cabin makes it easy on that part. Now each leave a day apart which gives you a choice for your travel and pre/post stay. Read the posts on each ship on each board will be helpful.

Thanks for all the replies - all 3 cruises are return from seattle. The itineraries are very similar except that the Golden Princess and Oosterdam go to Glacier Bay and the Sapphire Princess goes to Tracy Arm. The balcony cabins for Golden Princess and Oosterdam are the same price and the Sapphire Princess is $50 less. Not much of a difference :confused:

I will travel on HAL and here's why:

1. Bedding is SO much better

2. Sitka is a port I really want to visit

3. Hydrotherapy and thermal suite area (heated ceramic loungers :D)

4. Pinnacle Grill - got the best steak of my life there

5. Much more relaxed disembarking

Hmm that's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are other reasons. Have a super cruise.

The itineraries are very similar except that the Golden Princess and Oosterdam go to Glacier Bay and the Sapphire Princess goes to Tracy Arm.

Then drop Sapphire Princess from the list. Glacier Bay is much better than Tracy Arm.

While there is no self serve laundry on the Oosterdam, please don't let that be a deciding point. Mid week, for a reasonable fee, you can stuff the dirty stuff in a bag and have it all come back folded and/or pressed. After the cost of the cruise another $20 or so not to waste time doing laundry is a good thing.

We've enjoyed both Princess and HAL, but in our experience the cabins are much quieter on HAL.

Thank you so much for all your input. THere was lots to ponder :confused:. I had to make a quick decision since the cruise is in 3 weeks and I had to book my vacation time. In the end I ended up booking the Sapphire Princess. It ended up being approximately $100 and $135 cheaper than the other 2 and it has laundry facilities. Yes, I can't believe this is what I based my decision on :eek: but I was so undecided and had to book it today that it would have been eenie meenie mino moe anyways!!!

I would have booked Oosterdam, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the Sapphire. We had a mini-suite on the Golden last year, and the cabin simply cannot compare with the SY category on HAL. Alaska is beautiful, no matter which ship you're on. Have a great cruise!

Then drop Sapphire Princess from the list. Glacier Bay is much better than Tracy Arm.

What about Hubbard Glacier? How does it compare to Glacier Bay? That is the deciding factor for us. We are booked in Sept. but have time to change.....

What about Hubbard Glacier? How does it compare to Glacier Bay? That is the deciding factor for us. We are booked in Sept. but have time to change.....

Assuming good weather at each, I think Hubbard has it all over Glacier Bay. The ride up Yakutat Bay is one of the most beautiful in the world, and the glacier itself is spectacular.

Hubbard is long (which you won't especially see), wide, and high. It's bluer than the glaciers in Glacier Bay. There is more calving activity. I love it when a large chunk breaks off, set the waves going, and then the ship rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely HAL. I have done Alaska on both - the Statendam and the Princess Sapphire. Both are nice but the Sapphire is far too big. The staff on the Sapphire seem to be overworked because of the size of the ship - too many passengers for them to handle efficiently and although they are pleasant and do their best they seem to struggle "behind the 8 ball". The smaller the ship the better the service and the more sociable your fellow passengers. And...(depending on your itinerary) HAL get the most convenient berthing places at docks in Alaska ...and get into closer contact with the glaciers for a better experience in that regard too.

tailskid

Archived