Family Oceanview rooms, why are they a dying breed?

We are booked in a 6J Family Ocean view room on the Carnival Liberty. I understand that this si the last ship with these rooms as the other Conquests have been refitted as balconies.

I am wondering why.

They seem to be great rooms with floor to ceiling windows and I understand that sometimes they go for a higher price than a balcony.

Currently on my sailing balconies start at 739 and a 6J is currently 809.

We personally chose this catergory because of it's location to the Lido and Camp Carnival as well as having a veiw without worrying about my 3 and 5 year old on a balcony.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Currently on my sailing balconies start at 739 and a 6J is currently 809.

Of course to be fair, you would have to check a ship that this level is balconys, and then you would see the top deck of balconys costs more than your 6J ...not comparing them to a 8A which is a lower deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello -

I am considering booking one of these rooms for a jan cruise on the liberty -- same reasons. I have 2 young kids and don't want a balcony, and I think they would get a kick out of the windows. Plus close to Camp Carnival and easy walk down to the pool, plus it looks like it would be a quiet floor. My main concern is that I could get 2 adjoining OV rooms for just a little more, and I'm wondering if it would be better to have the 2 rooms...

BTW, do you know how high up the OV windows are? I'm wondering if my kids can see out of them (they are 3 and 6) without standing on something. That is another reason I thought that the floor to ceiling window would be better -- don't want my kids dragging chairs over to the window and standing on them the whole time.

I believe it is because of demand. If you look at the newest ships on all cruise lines, not just Carnival, you will see a huge increase in balcony/verandah rooms. In fact, some of these newest ships no longer have an ocean view option at all. They have inside, balcony, and suites. Balcony rooms seem to be all the rage currently in cruising. I have no doubt that this is based on market research. Cruise lines would not spend the oodles of dollars on these new ships if these designs weren't what so many cruisers have been asking for.

I just would take pride in the fact that you are a good mommy thinking of your children's safety. I'm sure the safety benefits of the family ocean view room just didn't occur to many people. All they think about is having a cup of coffee in the morning on their balcony as they look out onto their port of call.

The good news for you is that your children are growing up every day and there will be a day in the not so distant future when you won't have to worry about them being out on a balcony.

Cruise lines like any other business is in business to make money and if you can sell a balcony for more than ov and the cost of building balconies justified it you will build more balconies and less ov's.

Simple economics.

I dunno why people worry about thier kids and the balcony so much when having the ability to put the kids to bed and sit outside is such an appealing option... It's not like any responsible parent would let thier kid out on the balcony by themselves, and there is a lock up high, very much out of the childrens' reach. And if a parent is letting thier kids out on the balcony by themselves, that is a whole different can of worms.

This will be my daughters 3rd cruise in a year, and she knows she is not to walk out that balcony door without me. She will wake me up in the morning, so she can go outside with me. It's not rediculous to think other children would also get that.

I dunno why people worry about thier kids and the balcony so much when having the ability to put the kids to bed and sit outside is such an appealing option... It's not like any responsible parent would let thier kid out on the balcony by themselves, and there is a lock up high, very much out of the childrens' reach. And if a parent is letting thier kids out on the balcony by themselves, that is a whole different can of worms.

This will be my daughters 3rd cruise in a year, and she knows she is not to walk out that balcony door without me. She will wake me up in the morning, so she can go outside with me. It's not rediculous to think other children would also get that.

My problems with the balcony is that my 3 year old wants to spend all of his time out there and I don't like sitting out on balconies -- it is BORING and usually either too hot or too windy. So I either have to sit out there and supervise or lock the door and constantly deal with his disappointment and requests to go outside. (And to be woken up to be dragged out onto the balcony? Ugh!!)

This is very fresh in my mind because we just spent the last 2 weekends at the beach, and the last hotel had this long balcony off both the master and the living room and the boys spent, literally, hours out there. Fortunately our neighbors were visiting with us and the mom likes to sit on the balcony, so she stayed out with the kids while the rest of us socialized indoors. I like the view from a balcony, but not the ambience, and it would just not be a relaxing vacation for ME with my kids and a balcony.

I would however, like a separate place to sit after the kids go down, which is why the other option I'm considering is two ocean view rooms... about the same price as a balcony (or a family stateroom), and we could have a sitting room and a bedroom, basically.

Well, maybe family OVs arent such a dying breed, because Dream and now Magic have a few family OVs that are actually larger and have split baths, better for familys of 5 than a small cabin like the older ships. ..but not that cheap imo.

My problems with the balcony is that my 3 year old wants to spend all of his time out there and I don't like sitting out on balconies -- it is BORING and usually either too hot or too windy. So I either have to sit out there and supervise or lock the door and constantly deal with his disappointment and requests to go outside. (And to be woken up to be dragged out onto the balcony? Ugh!!)

This is very fresh in my mind because we just spent the last 2 weekends at the beach, and the last hotel had this long balcony off both the master and the living room and the boys spent, literally, hours out there. Fortunately our neighbors were visiting with us and the mom likes to sit on the balcony, so she stayed out with the kids while the rest of us socialized indoors. I like the view from a balcony, but not the ambience, and it would just not be a relaxing vacation for ME with my kids and a balcony.

I would however, like a separate place to sit after the kids go down, which is why the other option I'm considering is two ocean view rooms... about the same price as a balcony (or a family stateroom), and we could have a sitting room and a bedroom, basically.

If you don't like the balcony and think it is boring, then why even consider it?

Unfortunately, I think this is the territory that comes with being a mom. It's not like you can't see the water from all the of the public places on the ship - so get an interior, tell them they didn't have anything else (how would they know?) and then tell them when you are up and about that they can sit and look out into the ocean while you sit in a lounger, in the lido restaurant, etc. and do something you want to.

I love these cabins! We had one on the Conquest and the window view was amazing! My kids were old enough to go on a balcony alone but I worried about them horsing around and falling off. I know.....but boys:rolleyes:. I was so sad when they took these cabins away. And the family ov on the dream and magic dont have to floor to ceiling window, just a regular window. They call it family because it has the 2nd bathroom with sink and jr tub. I am pretty sure my 13 year old boys wont fit in a jr tub...lol

If you don't like the balcony and think it is boring, then why even consider it?

I'm NOT considering a balcony for the cruise -- trying to decide between family stateroom or 2 connecting OVs. I thought you had to have a 4 person occupancy on the family staterooms, but was just told that you could have 2 people per room and they do have adjoining rooms. It would cost $500 more to get 2 adjoining family staterooms than 2 adjoining OVs. Trying to decide between these options now.

Hello -

BTW, do you know how high up the OV windows are? I'm wondering if my kids can see out of them (they are 3 and 6) without standing on something. That is another reason I thought that the floor to ceiling window would be better -- don't want my kids dragging chairs over to the window and standing on them the whole time.

The windows aren't low enough for your little ones to see out of without getting on something or being held. The kid in this picture is about 6'2".

2680310950102380909S425x425Q85.jpg

The windows aren't low enough for your little ones to see out of without getting on something or being held. The kid in this picture is about 6'2".

2680310950102380909S425x425Q85.jpg

For the rooms OP is talking about in her post, these rooms have floor to ceiling windows and the window is literally all the way from floor to ceiling. I'm on the same sailing as OP. I also booked it because of the huge window view. And while I love a balcony, it is our first time taking the kids on a cruise and my DH has nightmares about our kids on a balcony. Peace of mind with a lovely view for us. And also close to kids camp, pool, fewer rooms on that deck, etc. :)

For the rooms OP is talking about in her post, these rooms have floor to ceiling windows and the window is literally all the way from floor to ceiling. I'm on the same sailing as OP. I also booked it because of the huge window view. And while I love a balcony, it is our first time taking the kids on a cruise and my DH has nightmares about our kids on a balcony. Peace of mind with a lovely view for us. And also close to kids camp, pool, fewer rooms on that deck, etc. :)

My answer was to the question by GatorMom that I quoted, asking about the regular OV room.

Thanks for the input. I'm traveling with my mom and she has said we must get 2 rooms. She wants connecting OVs, I want the connecting family rooms with the F to C windows, but $500 more... She is also concerned there would be too much movement up at that level.

She just got off a cruise on the Glory today, and she says the windows on the OV have a ledge where the kids could sit and hang out. I'm looking at the picture just posted and the ledge doesn't look that big to me.

I guess I just need to decide if it is worth (or if I can afford!) to pay $500 more for the floor to ceiling windows. I'm not to worried about the movement for some silly reason (denial, perhaps?)

There is alot of movement up that high. On Conquest it was the spa deck. Since then we have to get lower decks because my son stayed sick on that cruise. I did love that there were very few cabins on that deck and it is convenient to everything but surprisingly quiet. We had the last cabin so only one neighbor. But if motion is an issue, there is more up there.

Thanks for the input. I'm traveling with my mom and she has said we must get 2 rooms. She wants connecting OVs, I want the connecting family rooms with the F to C windows, but $500 more... She is also concerned there would be too much movement up at that level.

She just got off a cruise on the Glory today, and she says the windows on the OV have a ledge where the kids could sit and hang out. I'm looking at the picture just posted and the ledge doesn't look that big to me.

I guess I just need to decide if it is worth (or if I can afford!) to pay $500 more for the floor to ceiling windows. I'm not to worried about the movement for some silly reason (denial, perhaps?)

By the way I was on the Victory in OV cabin and the window was too high for little kids to reach and it had sort of a ledge. It was easy for the kids to sit there and look out.

Archived