Delicate Tummy Issue

TnMama

Good Morning.I thought I would bring this up in here,since all are so helpful,and I didnt want to go to "strangers" and bring this up.

Does the ship food ever tear your tummy up? I have to wear those Spank things with my 3 dresses,and do they constrict you on how much you can eat,or give you various issues afterwards? Lets face it well all know what Im talking about, gas,D,nausea,heart burn,just flat out pain? Do they holdem in and suck em ups contribute to any of these aliments? I dont wear these things at home. ppl know how fat I am,lol. I have many tummy issues and I dont want to be unprepared at sea. So I plan to take an aresonal of meds, most precription,{phenegran}for my rumbly tumbly. I think Im just scared I wont be able to get to a bathroom fast enough. After 3 tummy surgeries in 7 months, yall could understand my fear. One being having my GB removed in sept. Cant do salads thats for sure!

I'm sure you know what works for you (food) at home, so stick close to that diet and you won't have problems. There's no need to deny yourself the dessert or a particular item, but just take a taste of it instead of downing the whole thing.

I have learned the hard way on cruises, rich food and I don't get along too well. I need fruit and vegetables and plenty of them. I hold off on sauces and keep my hand out of the bread basket. It's not worth it to me to have indigestion issues and suffer, I'd rather give up the rich foods and be comfortable.

As far as Spanx being a problem, if they are so tight they are constricting your organs, you need to go up a size or two ;) They are meant to be a little help, not a solution.

As long as you eat reasonable portions, and stick to the foods you would eat at home, you shouldn't have any more problems than normal.

No way would I bother with a girdle (and that's what Spanx is...a girdle) on a cruise...especially a warm weather trip! If you decide to get Spanx, it should be a large enough size to "smooth" you, without constricting you at all. Or, better yet, a looser cut of clothing that will 'flow" over your lumps and bumps makes more sense!

Spanx should give you a smooth line - no panty lines, lumps or bumps. NOT squeeze your guts out! If it's that tight, it's too little.

If you don't have a gall bladder then you need to avoid eggs in particular and fatty foods in general. The job of the gall bladder is to store the bile that the liver makes. Bile helps digest fat, when you eat something fatty, the gall bladder releases some bile to help digest it. When you don't have one, all the bile that the liver makes just gets gradually dumped into your GI tract all day long and this can often cause diarrhea. Also if you eat eggs in particular or fatty foods, since the gall bladder can't release a little burst of bile to help digest them (it's gone :p) they often don't digest too well, causing upset tummy. People without a gall bladder often have upset tummy in the morning - this is due to the bile being released from the liver overnight with no food in your system. Lots of people are helped if they eat a fiber supplement before bed. Metamucil makes some crackers that you can eat. That might help you

Spanx should give you a smooth line - no panty lines, lumps or bumps. NOT squeeze your guts out! If it's that tight, it's too little.

If you don't have a gall bladder then you need to avoid eggs in particular and fatty foods in general. The job of the gall bladder is to store the bile that the liver makes. Bile helps digest fat, when you eat something fatty, the gall bladder releases some bile to help digest it. When you don't have one, all the bile that the liver makes just gets gradually dumped into your GI tract all day long and this can often cause diarrhea. Also if you eat eggs in particular or fatty foods, since the gall bladder can't release a little burst of bile to help digest them (it's gone :p) they often don't digest too well, causing upset tummy. People without a gall bladder often have upset tummy in the morning - this is due to the bile being released from the liver overnight with no food in your system. Lots of people are helped if they eat a fiber supplement before bed. Metamucil makes some crackers that you can eat. That might help you

Great response.

Thank you for your warm and informative responces. You know I DO have morning issues. had not even thought about it being lack of GB related. So thank you very much for letting me know that. I knew about the bile and stuff,but not considered the other. I thought it was stress.

As for the fiber supliments, I cant have them right now due to recent hernia surgery.ive been on a super restricted diet since my surgery on April 13. had a scope done just thurs. and dr siad it worked,but right now Ive got some severe gastritis and my doudadnal {sic} is inflamed. So my tummy looks like mild chicken pox on the inside. Ive run the race on tummy issues my whole life.Dr put me on Karafate {sic}.

And for spanks. mine arent too tight,per the way yall described the fit. Since I refuse to wear hose,on formal night I do need a bit of a smoother. everything else can go to hang for all I care,lol. I just dont have a chance to get dressed up much being Suzy Homemaker and all.So I do want to look nice. Im taking a pair of black pants too and they make even my big booty look good,lol.

Yall have been so kind,in your answers and I really do appreciate it.

Sarah

Along the same lines as finding a potty on ship. What about Nassau? Im not so worried about HMC,{on Carnival},b/c roomie and I can set up camp near the bathrooms if we need to. But she and I plan to do a walking tour of the Ardastra Gardens,and then eat over at the Fish Fry area. Im one of those "when in ....." eat what local's eat. So I gotta try fried conch. My plan is to take half an imodium before leaving the ship and half shorty before lunch. For those who have been to those places, are thier public potty's avaliable? Just wondering....thanks,

Sarah

Along the same lines as finding a potty on ship. What about Nassau? Im not so worried about HMC,{on Carnival},b/c roomie and I can set up camp near the bathrooms if we need to. But she and I plan to do a walking tour of the Ardastra Gardens,and then eat over at the Fish Fry area. Im one of those "when in ....." eat what local's eat. So I gotta try fried conch. My plan is to take half an imodium before leaving the ship and half shorty before lunch. For those who have been to those places, are thier public potty's avaliable? Just wondering....thanks,

Sarah

good question. post this over on the Nassau board too

I have mild gallbladder issues and IBS so I can certainly relate. I do take a probiotic that I don't have to refrigerate and can be purchases in the drugstore. I also avoid most fried foods and milk products, including heavy cream sauces. I did not feel deprived on our RCL trip last year and even lost 10 lbs without missing out! I still ate whatever I wanted, I just didn't eat as much. Some folks go on a cruise eating and eating and eating because well..sort of like the buffet at a restaurant, you get more for your money if you eat more!! I would rather savor the bits and enjoy, leaving room for the next morsel that might come along.

why bother with spanx? why not just wear an outfit that is comfortable and looks good and then you can enjoy your meal? don't worry about the size, no one else cares or should make comments. If they do, they are rude. enjoy yourself and your size. I'm 2P or 4P depend on the designer.

I've tried spanx and ICK, returned it to Nordstrom.

Thanks Rain for your insight.

Nothing seems to help with this bout of gastritis, ive got to stop smoking. I know, sinner me.:rolleyes: But its hard to stop a habit like that.

Michelle,I will go post over there, thanks Roomie.;)

I've had my gall bladder removed and I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I can tell you that bathroom locations are important. That being said I do take extra precaution - gas-x, immodium, etc. whenever I'm going out to eat or out of town. I have medication for the Crohn's that has helped considerably, but I have to take 8 pills a day. I've also discovered probiotics recently, and they really help.

I will say that I stay away from a lot of things though - fried food, lots of cheese/dairy, tomato sauces, spicy foods, etc. I will treat myself every now and then, but I know the consequences later. :eek:

Thanks Rain for your insight.

Nothing seems to help with this bout of gastritis, ive got to stop smoking. I know, sinner me.:rolleyes: But its hard to stop a habit like that.

Michelle,I will go post over there, thanks Roomie.;)

I stopped smoking cold turkey almost 22 years ago. What I did was cut back daily, with a stop date in mind. Once that date came, I smoked my last cigarette (ever) and have not looked back since then. It's easier than you think if you make your mind up.

It's not only a gift to yourself, it's a gift for your children. They can have a mom longer and not be subjected to the fumes of cigarettes. It's not just the second hand smoke that affects them, it's also the fumes on your clothing.

Good luck, make it real and not just a wish :):):) I'm pulling for you! There is a woman on CC (darn I can't remember her screen name) who quit and saved all the cash she would have spent on cigarettes. After about a year, she bought herself a piece of jewelry, I think it was a diamond ring.

After having tummy and bathroom issues for years, my GB was removed 3 years ago. I now can eat most anything, as long as I don't over eat. I was also concerned about our first cruise last year, 'cause when you get those familiar pains, you gotta GO NOW! However, for the first several days, I didn't over drink or over eat and had no problems what-so-ever. One day I ate too much and felt miserable all day. I didn't make those bad choices for the rest of the cruise. I also took Pepto a day before we got on the ship and for the first several days of the trip. That tends to help me when I drink different water or foods when I am away from home.

I feel for you, as well as all of the other gals who have digestive issues. It does create some searching ahead of time for public restrooms. You know your body best, and listen to that littel voice in your head when it tells you "You know what might happen if you eat that...!" I enjoy eating as the locals also, but choose to "sample" the cuisine instead of appetizer or entree sizing it.

Best wishes for a tummy trouble free vacation!

Im so glad NOT to be the only one. Its just something we dont always talk about.So thats the purpose of this thread. to help each other along.:)

happy, My roomie has suggested I quit on the cruise. New place,new things to do, NOT smoke. I told her Id be a beotch without them. She said who better to be that with than her. gotta love some good friends. So its a maybe.

As for the potty in Nassau,I was able to bring it up along with a post over there. the title is about budget.but the OP brought up potty,so I went with it,and didnt consider it off post. nobody said anything to me,so I guess it was ok. Today Im paying for eating cake and ice cream,and fresh veggies at Monkeys bday party. I tried to eat a cheeseburger too. DH does such a great job on the grill. I ate cheeseball too. Had to lay in bed all evening,after taking pepto and phenegran. I felt pregnant sick! {Im NOT nor can I be,if the dr did his dern job right 3 years ago. so far so good}. I think I have not had the D issue b/c Ive been off and on pain pills pretty much since my GB surgery. But now,Im cold turkey off them. thats been BAD! but now,Im not consitpated by them, things just run through me. Its worse in the morning. I totally agree with the poster on this thread who mentioned your liver working over night,and it hits you in the AM. the coffee and nicotine probably dont help either. I will NOT let myself over eat. Im learning what I can and can not do in mass quanities. Im a big girl,so food has normally been my friend. but not now! sux too b/c I eat my feelings. milk actually helps, so cereal it is. eggs dont hurt me,but spice does. I used to be the garlic queen,and now Im not. it kills me.

Im worried about motion sickness too. I cant do the ginger pills,they give me heartburn. So Ill just take phenegran,and bonine and I hope to be fine. only thing about that stuff is,I cant drink. I dont drink much at all anyway. I dont plan on being boozed up the entire time, so thats a good thing on my meager budget I guess....

Lordy mercy Im rambling. I think I am gonna get me some probiotics. Where can I get them, and just what are they? thanks.

I got pro-biotics at a health food store, but they had to be refrigerated...not good to take on a cruise. I only use them if I am on an antibiotic, since those really upset my stomach. There are some that don't need refrigeration. I believe yogurt is also a pro-biotic (anyone correct me if I'm wrong :o).

TnMama, it sounds like you are in for a complete life style change :) Not just your eating habits but smoking as well. It will be a good thing, you're young and have little ones, why not make the changes you need to make and have not only yourself, but the rest of the family healthy as well?

It's a commitment, but a very positive one and you know you have support here. Your cruise friend sounds lovely, only a true friend would be as understanding as that.

BTW, ginger pills give me heartburn as well, I just use seabands and less drowsy Dramamine if needed. But I only take a half a tab and take it at bed time...it still makes me a bit drowsy the next day.

Our intestines are full of bacteria, both good and bad types. Sometimes, due to antibiotics, surgery and various reasons they can get out of balance and we don't have enough of the good ones. Probiotics are pills (or yogurt) that have the good bacteria in them. The point is to help restore the balance and boost the good bacteria that help us digest things, etc.

Many types of probiotic pills have to be refrigerated or the bacteria will die, but not all types. The best probiotic pills (with lots of bacteria, etc) will be more expensive, you get what you pay for. If you find them really cheap, probly aren't very good. Can usually be found at health food stores, Whole Foods, etc.

You don't need to take them forever, get a bottle, take them as directed and see if they help. Once the bottle is gone, if you are continuing to do well, don't get more. If you find that you are having problems again, take more. Especially after taking antibiotics etc.

I take acidopholis in capsule form already. I tend to have lots of yeast in me,have since I was a baby, so that helps with it. Will that do the same thing? or IS it the same thing?

Thanks Happy, youre very right.

Our intestines are full of bacteria, both good and bad types. Sometimes, due to antibiotics, surgery and various reasons they can get out of balance and we don't have enough of the good ones. Probiotics are pills (or yogurt) that have the good bacteria in them. The point is to help restore the balance and boost the good bacteria that help us digest things, etc.

Many types of probiotic pills have to be refrigerated or the bacteria will die, but not all types. The best probiotic pills (with lots of bacteria, etc) will be more expensive, you get what you pay for. If you find them really cheap, probly aren't very good. Can usually be found at health food stores, Whole Foods, etc.

You don't need to take them forever, get a bottle, take them as directed and see if they help. Once the bottle is gone, if you are continuing to do well, don't get more. If you find that you are having problems again, take more. Especially after taking antibiotics etc.

You're quite right. My GI suggested the Align, but I have taken the ones from Whole Foods, and other HFS. I have also had issues with candida and wheat intolerance so I have to be careful with what I eat as well. Someone mentioned taking pepto bismal a few days before the trip, that I never thought of an will be adding to my packing list.

Thanks to all suggestions and explanations. It has helped me greatly.

Bad Bowels, Bad Bowels,

Watcha Gonna Do,

Watcha Gonna Do

When Ya Gotta Go Poo!

Okay, that was just a brief music interlude. I have great sympathy for all who suffer with digestive issues.

I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) for many years and sometimes, I could not leave my house after meals for the reasons stated herein. If I did, well, let's just say it often involved sprinting through malls, grocery stores, libraries, etc. to the restroom.

In 1997, I had upper and lower GI procedures that found severely inflamed stomach tissue. I improved significantly by taking a 4 month regimen of prescription strength acid reducer and a drug called Propulsid (now off the market).

In addition to the drug therapy, I permanently changed my diet. This included eliminating caffeine, reducing red meat and dairy products and eating more fibrous bulky foods such as fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc. I nearly always get my 10 servings of daly fruit/veggies and fiber. It does require planning and dedication to eat well, but I feel so much better that it is well worth the time invloved. My husband is a terrific whole foods cook and that helps a lot.

I don't eat highly processed food very often but when I do, I almost always feel badly as a result, though with far less, er, dramatic symptoms than before treatment. Whereas I used to have 4 -5 IBS attacks a WEEK, I now might have 2 a YEAR. Close enough to a cure for me!

I also think exercise and relaxation/meditation areimportant to overall digestive health so I power walk, hitting my goal of four hours a week most weeks. In addition, I have started some light free-weight lifting for my arms. To aid relaxation, I reduced my stress levels as much as possible, spent more time alone and found part-time work writing and producing for public radio. All these thing together have played a part in my feeling better.

TnMama, I got your e-mail and will get back to you soon.

Bad Bowels, Bad Bowels,

Watcha Gonna Do,

Watcha Gonna Do

When Ya Gotta Go Poo!

Okay, that was just a brief music interlude. I have great sympathy for all who suffer with digestive issues.

I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) for many years and sometimes, I could not leave my house after meals for the reasons stated herein. If I did, well, let's just say it often involved sprinting through malls, grocery stores, libraries, etc. to the restroom.

In 1997, I had upper and lower GI procedures that found severely inflamed stomach tissue. I improved significantly by taking a 4 month regimen of prescription strength acid reducer and a drug called Propulsid (now off the market).

In addition to the drug therapy, I permanently changed my diet. This included eliminating caffeine, reducing red meat and dairy products and eating more fibrous bulky foods such as fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc. I nearly always get my 10 servings of daly fruit/veggies and fiber. It does require planning and dedication to eat well, but I feel so much better that it is well worth the time invloved. My husband is a terrific whole foods cook and that helps a lot.

I don't eat highly processed food very often but when I do, I almost always feel badly as a result, though with far less, er, dramatic symptoms than before treatment. Whereas I used to have 4 -5 IBS attacks a WEEK, I now might have 2 a YEAR. Close enough to a cure for me!

I also think exercise and relaxation/meditation areimportant to overall digestive health so I power walk, hitting my goal of four hours a week most weeks. In addition, I have started some light free-weight lifting for my arms. To aid relaxation, I reduced my stress levels as much as possible, spent more time alone and found part-time work writing and producing for public radio. All these thing together have played a part in my feeling better.

TnMama, I got your e-mail and will get back to you soon.

Youre always one for a laugh! TY for that. lol. So glad you understand. For me its the morning that is bad. I DID eat Chineese food last night,and i seem to be ok. I felt that wonderful hot mustard all the way in the back of my head. ahhh! lol. Good pain,and it only lasted breifly. It didnt give me gas or heartburn either. I do keep getting horrible headaches though. i think its b/c I only drink half caf coffee,and in the afternoon's drink water and decaf sweet tea. I may have to drink half a cup of half decaf in the afternoon just to help with the headaches Im having. Im TRYING to be nice to my body! but its revolting against me,dernit! If its not one thing its another!!!

Archived