Taking Food Off the Ship in Europe

Shellzbellz

I've seen lots of information about not taking food off the ship in the Carribean but nothing about Europe. Does anyone know if you can or can't take food off the ship in France, Spain etc. If fresh foods are forbidden would packaged foods like crackers etc be OK?

I took packaged foods off at one port...and maybe a croissant wrapped in a napkin too.

Unlike the Caribbean, where I was more leery of the local food (I always took food with me in the Caribbean ports). There are plenty of little cafes in Monte Carlo (and Italy) that offer wonderful pastries, fresh fruit, and snacks.

Packages foods are ok.:)

I've seen lots of information about not taking food off the ship in the Carribean but nothing about Europe. Does anyone know if you can or can't take food off the ship in France, Spain etc. If fresh foods are forbidden would packaged foods like crackers etc be OK?

We did box lunches from our ship in St. Petersburg as we were doing our private tour in that historic Russian capital. I arranged this with the dining room manager the evening prior. Things worked out fine. Super, in fact. Below is the view from our van with its table set-up for the four of us as we had lunch after doing our tour of the Hermitage. We did this mostly to save time in not having to go to a dining place, place an order, wait for the food, etc.

Much depends on your ship. Some cruise lines are more helpful and cooperative. Others, especially those larger, cannot be as flexible and helpful with such requests. The cruise lines will know if you're likely to have a local problem in taking food ashore. It worked perfect for us.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Our great view as we dined outside of the Hermitage overlooking Palace Square, etc.:

1A-StP-Square-HertAlexCol.jpg

I recall being told that if we were found smuggling food into St P. we would be in trouble. I didn't want to risk it. One of our restaurant meals was really great - the other is still a family joke.

I think if the ship finds you are taking food off then they will not be too happy either. Yes, you can go back for a late lunch in the WJ, but not a takeaway buffet.

Anyway you can get really nice snacks in the places you visit. I wouldn't have wanted to miss my pastry in Denmark, or my wonderful raspberries from the market in Helsinki. I didn't stop for a pizza in Naples and I still regret it - or at least a cornetto !!

Avoid the main tourist thoroughfare if you don't want to pay the earth. A sidestreet baker or supermarket can be a great source of reasonably priced food - part of the holiday surely.

Just my twopennieworth

When in Russia on a riverboat, I felt so sorry for the skinny dogs standing at ports that I would wrap my extra food portions from buffets or dinner and throw it to them....it didnt take long before I was told , in no uncertain terms by crew, to STOP...said its against rules.....yes, I stopped when they could see me and did in from my room window....

But they never told us NOT to take food FROM boat,,,but I never did so hubby could buy me lunch,ahahaha... loved the cruise,but felt SO sorry for those poor dogs, funny saw only a FEW cats...

Was obviously missing MY animals at home right???:p

We are planning to have meals off the ship when in Europe but are travelling with a small child so I would like to be able to bring something for her just in case there isn't anywhere handy when she needs fed. It takes the pressure off a little.

I recall being told that if we were found smuggling food into St P. we would be in trouble. I didn't want to risk it. One of our restaurant meals was really great - the other is still a family joke. I think if the ship finds you are taking food off then they will not be too happy either. Yes, you can go back for a late lunch in the WJ, but not a takeaway buffet. Anyway you can get really nice snacks in the places you visit. I wouldn't have wanted to miss my pastry in Denmark, or my wonderful raspberries from the market in Helsinki. I didn't stop for a pizza in Naples and I still regret it - or at least a cornetto !! Avoid the main tourist thoroughfare if you don't want to pay the earth. A sidestreet baker or supermarket can be a great source of reasonably priced food - part of the holiday surely. Just my twopennieworth

Lot of people will "tell you things". Some are true. Some are not. That's why I asked the ship's dining room manager. He would know and said it was no problem. And it wasn't. Local food, you correctly noted, can be great . . . or a joke. I was just sharing my experience in one country. Ask people who know, rather than just relying on assumptions or guesses.

My husband has always taken "food" (granola bars, power bars, prepackaged snacks etc) off the ship in ports in Europe. But I have seen a few people being "caught" with fruit and bread from the buffet and being told to throw them away. I think the main concern is fruits and "natural" foods due to customs restrictions...and bugs etc.

I think if you have prepackaged foods/snacks in your day pack and especially if it is for a child, you will be fine. I don't know that I would walk off the ship waving it around saying - I have food, I have food. ;) and be prepared each time to have to leave it behind or toss it - since it is up to the security person (both cruise line and port authority) at the pier in each port. But like I said my husband has done this in dozens of ports in Europe (both Baltic and Mediterranean) and never ran in to a problem.

Shari

You are going to the culinary capital of the world and you want to take food off a cruise ship......:rolleyes:

You are going to the culinary capital of the world and you want to take food off a cruise ship......:rolleyes:

As I said in a post above - while we plan to have our meals in the places we visit, we are travelling with a small child and taking some food/snacks for her would be useful to take the pressure off if we can't get to a restuarant when she needs fed. I'm also not totally convinced that at her age she would appreciate the quality difference between what I feed her at home and what she would receive in France, Italy etc :rolleyes:

There's something about quarantine regs and taking food off the ship....can't remember the details now. Anyway, that may be part of the no food off ship thingo.... Certainly true when on our Asia cruise this past spring and true in French Polynesia.

I know first hand what happens if kiddos aren't fed at regular intervals...life ain't worth living. In Europe though, you'll find nice fruit and breads and cheese to feed and please the little ones. Kudos to you for taking your little one traveling.....opens their eyes to the world at large and helps them appreciate other cultures.

There's something about quarantine regs and taking food off the ship....can't remember the details now. Anyway, that may be part of the no food off ship thingo.... Certainly true when on our Asia cruise this past spring and true in French Polynesia.

I know first hand what happens if kiddos aren't fed at regular intervals...life ain't worth living. In Europe though, you'll find nice fruit and breads and cheese to feed and please the little ones. Kudos to you for taking your little one traveling.....opens their eyes to the world at large and helps them appreciate other cultures.

As noted in the original post, much depends on WHERE you are docked. The original question was about EUROPE. Asia, Africa, etc., are much different in their health and food quality situations and standards. Most of what we did in St. Petersburg was all about TIMING and the lack of it to see and do so much there.

YES, I super love France and French food. I have dined at many Michelin-starred places there, plus love the the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! And going along the French superhighways, stopping at one of the places there, grabbing the heated Panni with ham cheese. Super wonderful!!! Love French food.

Does anyone know if you can or can't take food off the ship in France, Spain etc. If fresh foods are forbidden would packaged foods like crackers etc be OK?

As long as you stay within the EU you should be fine and be allowed to take food, including fresh food, off the ship.

If you arrive from America (transatlantic), Africa (eg. Marocco) or Asia (eg. Turkey) there are many restrictions.

We had no problem taking food off the ship all over Europe, plus we always travel with small packs of peanuts or other nuts for a quick pick me up. Sherry

THANKS for your well-summarized points! Carlmm also hit it well. You've got lots of good options in Europe, if your ship staff are able to be helpful. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I asked if we paid for box lunches, would it be possible for an excursion off the ship in Biarritz, France. The cruise line rep told me that they cannot allow food to leave the ship due to local regulations. So I'm not sure what the story really is. I know you cannot take many food items back to the US, so presumably there are also restrictions in many other countries.

I asked if we paid for box lunches, would it be possible for an excursion off the ship in Biarritz, France. The cruise line rep told me that they cannot allow food to leave the ship due to local regulations. So I'm not sure what the story really is. I know you cannot take many food items back to the US, so presumably there are also restrictions in many other countries.

Is this "cruise line rep", an on-ship person like the dining room manager or Maitre D' . . . OR . . . somebody at the Oceania office in the US? Experienced on-ship people know Europe much, much better than those at a central office answering phones in Miami, Fl. Oceania is owned by Apollo Management L.P., a leveraged buy-out firm that also owns NCL and a bunch of other firms.

Oceania is owned by Apollo Management L.P., a leveraged buy-out firm that also owns NCL and a bunch of other firms.

What has that got to do with different Countries regulations?

Possibly the people taking food off do NOT ask if they are allowed to do so

In the newsletter they usually state if there a specific restrictions

Usually fruit is a NO NO but packaged food is ok

I usually carry a granola bar or similar item in case our blood sugar drops before we get to lunch when on a tour

A muffin or something like that may pass but why not try local food that is what travel is all about

What has that got to do with different Countries regulations?

My main question was about whether the info came from an experienced on-ship person knowledgeable about what is done by Oceania in Europe, or a phone person in Miami handling NCL, Oceania, etc. Some of the larger cruise line "groups" don't have dedicated personnel who really know that specific cruise product well and how things actually operate in some more specialized parts of the world such as Europe. That's why asked from whom that information was given and their knowledge base.

My main question was about whether the info came from an experienced on-ship person knowledgeable about what is done by Oceania in Europe, or a phone person in Miami handling NCL, Oceania, etc.

Yes you are correct that the rep in Miami may not be aware of the restriction in Europe.

My question was what has the ownership of the company have to do with it

FYI

Apollo owns 50% of NCL ... http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_081707

Yes you are correct that the rep in Miami may not be aware of the restriction in Europe.

My question was what has the ownership of the company have to do with it

FYI

Apollo owns 50% of NCL ... http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_081707

If the cruise line has ownership that controls and operates only one line, when you talk with someone with Crystal or Silversea, etc., that person on the phone only has one "product line" to know and be concerned about. With some lines, such as was the case for me a few months back talking with Azamara, you got somebody that also did Celebrity, etc. I'm not sure today on Oceania and its sister companies, but with certain of these larger groups of cruise companies, they try to save money by having phone operations/call centers selling many different ships and lines. Therefore, their specialized knowledge base might not be as skilled when trying to deal with a narrow question such as food standards in Europe. These leveraged buy-out hedge funds are looking to save money and sometimes the levels of service will not be at the ideal levels. That's where I was coming from.

I'll be honest. I have tried for YEARS to get some clarity on this issue. And I haven't succeeded. Here is my understanding, as limited as it is:

European countries, in general, do not seem to have the strict prohibitions against taking food off the ship that some other areas (e.g. Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Australia) do. I have heard some people say that it is an EU thing -- in other words, that once you are within the EU, there are no official "borders" so just as with passport checks, perhaps food transport between countries is not such a big deal. However, I cannot seem to find any confirmation of this. Everytime I try to research the issue online, I find a lot of info about transport from the perspective of growers and shippers, not so much for the casual traveler.

In my experience, cruiseline reps that the normal person reaches by phone to answer questions often do not know the answers. I have lost track of the number of times I have been given incorrect information about ports, visas, etc from these people. They may be better educated about the ship (even then I wouldn't count on it), but I would never depend on them for correct information about a foreign port, foreign regulations, or visas.

On the other hand, I don't know that all staff on board know the correct answers either. The gaps in knowledge I've witnessed or heard about from onboard staff and crew really are a bit unbelievable. (The port lecturer on an Eastern Med itinerary who talked about Istanbul, for example, had never heard of the Basilica Cistern, one of the major attractions in the city......:rolleyes:)

My own feeling is this: I will not take anything ashore with me that is not pre-packaged and unopened, to avoid running into any kind of problem. But that's just me -- I tend to be very cautious and I would not want to do anything to put the local ecosystem at risk or cause consternation or offense.

At least on most cruiselines I've been on, if there is a BIG issue with bringing food or drink ashore in a particular port, it will be listed prominently either in the ship's daily program, in the port info found in your cabin, and/or at the gangway. I suppose, in the absence of any such warning (or a verbal one from the CD or crew), one could not be faulted for bringing something ashore like fruit or a sandwich, but with the understanding that you may be told to dump it.

Russia is not a place I'd look to draw any attention to myself. The guards/officials are quite no-nonsense, and I have the feeling that at any time they could take a dislike to one and dredge up some old, half-forgotten 1960s Communist-era rule that is still on the books prohibiting you bringing in any food and involving a hefty fine.

I'm not sure today on Oceania and its sister companies, but with certain of these larger groups of cruise companies, they try to save money by having phone operations/call centers selling many different ships and lines.

Any cruise line does not control what the Countries regulations are concerning taking food off the ship

You need to check with the Country you are disembarking in.

I know in Mexico it is not allowed to take some foods off

You can be fined in Countries like N.Z. & Aus if you take fruit onshore

Prestige Cruise Holdings (PCH) is the parent company of Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises

They have NOTHING to do with NCL

As far as I know each cruise line still have their own res departments.

I'll be honest. I have tried for YEARS to get some clarity on this issue. And I haven't succeeded. Here is my understanding, as limited as it is:

European countries, in general, do not seem to have the strict prohibitions against taking food off the ship that some other areas (e.g. Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Australia) do. I have heard some people say that it is an EU thing -- in other words, that once you are within the EU, there are no official "borders" so just as with passport checks, perhaps food transport between countries is not such a big deal. However, I cannot seem to find any confirmation of this. Everytime I try to research the issue online, I find a lot of info about transport from the perspective of growers and shippers, not so much for the casual traveler.

In my experience, cruiseline reps that the normal person reaches by phone to answer questions often do not know the answers. I have lost track of the number of times I have been given incorrect information about ports, visas, etc from these people. They may be better educated about the ship (even then I wouldn't count on it), but I would never depend on them for correct information about a foreign port, foreign regulations, or visas.

On the other hand, I don't know that all staff on board know the correct answers either. The gaps in knowledge I've witnessed or heard about from onboard staff and crew really are a bit unbelievable. (The port lecturer on an Eastern Med itinerary who talked about Istanbul, for example, had never heard of the Basilica Cistern, one of the major attractions in the city......:rolleyes:)

THANKS, Cynthia, for an excellent summary of the confusing state of getting accurate info about this question! You offer great background and details. We are getting ready to do a July 1-16 "Norway Coast, Fjords and Land of the Midnight Sun" cruise. We will having a couple days of bird/island exploring by rental car for the four of us where doing a box lunch might make sense to consider. We will be doing independent exploring along that scenic coast and island areas. Lots of options and opportunities. Our St. Petersburg lunch on Palace Square worked well. You never know until you ask! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived