Finally booked "Explorer" for July 3rd and a question?

We finally booked "Explorer of the seas" for July 3rd to Bermuda. We went through an online TA because of the prepaid gratuities. I like that feature a few online TA do. Here is the weird thing that experienced cruisers may inform me about. When we hit "yes" button on the website,it said your booking could not be completed at this time,a travel agent will call you soon. They called and said the room we booked was taken and that we got an automatic upgrade to a suite for the same price. Is that not strange cause there were other regular balcony rooms left? Thanks for the help sincerely JC

We finally booked "Explorer of the seas" for July 3rd to Bermuda. We went through an online TA because of the prepaid gratuities. I like that feature a few online TA do. Here is the weird thing that experienced cruisers may inform me about. When we hit "yes" button on the website,it said your booking could not be completed at this time,a travel agent will call you soon. They called and said the room we booked was taken and that we got an automatic upgrade to a suite for the same price. Is that not strange cause there were other regular balcony rooms left? Thanks for the help sincerely JC

What was the quoted fare? And what category were you booking?

Well my wife booked the cruise and this is what she told me when the TA called. They said something about a Junior suite? I'm a little nervous cause your saying"get it in writting". Is there a chance its BS? We aren't gonna get on the ship and we have an inside cabin? I believe she was booking a superior balcony? I think that is what it was? Thanks for the help again. I appreciate it.

Well my wife booked the cruise and this is what she told me when the TA called. They said something about a Junior suite? I'm a little nervous cause your saying"get it in writting". Is there a chance its BS? We aren't gonna get on the ship and we have an inside cabin? I believe she was booking a superior balcony? I think that is what it was? Thanks for the help again. I appreciate it.

Welcome aboard. My boys and I are sailing with you. The last I had checked (just a few days ago) there was one owner's suite available and some interior cabins. Take the upgrade and run.

There is a roll call for our sailing and I would love to meet your family at a meet and mingle.

Don & Boys

What is the cabin number that you were assigned, it should be on your confirmation from the travel agency.

Jimbo:)

Well that is another strange thing. They said RCL will assign us a cabin and will let us know the cabin number before we board. The TA said we are gauranteed a suite but you have no control over where. I'm happy to be going that is all I know. JC

Welcome aboard. My boys and I are sailing with you. The last I had checked (just a few days ago) there was one owner's suite available and some interior cabins. Take the upgrade and run.

There is a roll call for our sailing and I would love to meet your family at a meet and mingle.

Don & Boys

Oh that's nice the family taking a 4th of July cruise. I will be there for sure. The upgrade suite sounds kinda odd but if it turns out to be true I will take it and run. Thanks for the advice. I cannot wait to go. I have never been to Bermuda,fun? What's it like? Thanks JC

Sounds like you either booked a Balcony GTY, which is a Category X or a Junior Suite GTY which is a Category W.

If you know what you paid per person(2 persons in the cabin) before taxes and port fees, it would help us better to know what the travel agent booked you at?

I think the TA is just hoping you get assigned a Suite, can't really guarantee it at this time. Most likely you will be assigned a cabin in a few days anyway and the mystery will be over.

Sounds like you either booked a Balcony GTY, which is a Category X or a Junior Suite GTY which is a Category W.

If you know what you paid per person(2 persons in the cabin) before taxes and port fees, it would help us better to know what the travel agent booked you at?

I think the TA is just hoping you get assigned a Suite, can't really guarantee it at this time. Most likely you will be assigned a cabin in a few days anyway and the mystery will be over.

The total for 2 was $3,422. It was a Category X. I believe she said we would get a Junior suite and I believe the word "guaranteed" was mentioned. As long as we get a balcony I don't care. What is the diff between a regular balcony and Junior suite anyway?

The total for 2 was $3,422. It was a Category X. I believe she said we would get a Junior suite and I believe the word "guaranteed" was mentioned. As long as we get a balcony I don't care. What is the diff between a regular balcony and Junior suite anyway?

Nope she booked you in a Category W, Junior Suite GTY........wow that was alot of $$$ for a 5 day cruise.

I think she screwed you, I would call her back and go for the Category X , Balcony GTY......that total should be $2622........

Call her back and tell her she mislead you, save yourself $800.00.

Demand her to switch it....

wonder why she said you were guaranteed a suite, heck she booked you in a Suite GTY.........

She sounded like you got a free upgrade.....Not!!! you are paying for it....Don't let them rip you off.

Personally we would never go for Junior Suite for that short of a cruise......Just not worth the $800 extra.

Good Luck

just found out its a Junior suite room# 1312. Junior suites are going for $1,899 no? That would mean we saved money no? Middle of the ship high up though. Also for a 5 day cruise I'd go for an inside cabin but my wife won't,likes the balcony.

just found out its a Junior suite room# 1312. Junior suites are going for $1,899 no? That would mean we saved money no? Middle of the ship high up though. Also for a 5 day cruise I'd go for an inside cabin but my wife won't,likes the balcony.

No Junior Suites are going for $1599, exactly what you paid .......its called a Junior Suite Guarantee......that is what Junior Suites are going for....$1899 is for people that don't know any better book, but when you see both offered you book the GTY

It's your money though, if you are happy that is all that counts.

No I'm new to all this. when I'm on the websites it says Junior suites $1,899? Obove that is some other type suite for $1,599? I thought i was reading that right? Oh well its done now and I;m not gonna go change it now. Not many rooms left at all now anyway. Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

No I'm new to all this. when I'm on the websites it says Junior suites $1,899? Obove that is some other type suite for $1,599? I thought i was reading that right? Oh well its done now and I;m not gonna go change it now. Not many rooms left at all now anyway. Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

"Obove that is some other type suite for $1,599?" That is what the travel agency booked you in...

Do this aleast, call the agent in the morning and asked to be switched from cabin 1312 on deck 10 to cabin 9318 (it's available, I just checked) on deck 9......It's always better to be sandwiched between to deck of cabins rather then a public place above or below your cabin..........Plus you will get a better view from the balcony on deck 9 since it is right in the middle of the hump and allows you to loook both ways aft and forward.

If the agents says you can't switch cabins when booking a Guarantee, tell her you heard of other people doing it.....Tell her to please call Royal Caribbean and try....Make her earn some of that extra commission she got off of you.

Let us know how you make out after calling her.

Jimbo :)

Ok but I that is not what the email says nor what the ship is indicating. Email says we are booked in a Junior suite and I thought thats what the sgip says also. I'm lost now anyway. Thanks for trying to help me.

When I put room#1312 in on RCCL "Explorer" it says "Junior suite" and according to websites I checked it comes out to over $4,000 bucks. To me it looks like we saved plus we got pre paid gratuities. Right now it seems we made out great.

When I put room#1312 in on RCCL "Explorer" it says "Junior suite" and according to websites I checked it comes out to over $4,000 bucks. To me it looks like we saved plus we got pre paid gratuities. Right now it seems we made out great.

You are right, 1312 is a Junior Suite. Jimbo was not saying it was not, he was just pointing out that 9318 (same category) is also available and is a great location, in the middle of the "hump" and on Deck 9.

You are on Deck 10, which is great for easy access to the Windjammer, pool deck, etc., but sometimes people hear noises (chairs being moved, etc.) from above when they have cabins on Deck 10.

And what your TA booked (and anyone could have access to) is called a Guarantee category. It just means you don't choose your exact cabin, you are assigned one within that category (or better). That is why they are cheaper than booking an exact cabin, you don't know what you'll get.

But the way I understand it is that when you book a Guarantee and are assigned a cabin, you can ask (once) to be moved to another if you are not happy with the first one. I have not booked a Guarantee, so I don't know if that means you can request a SPECIFIC cabin or not.

We are on the same itinerary you are in a week and a half. We'll try to keep the ship in good shape for ya!

Sue

Oh ok I get it now. Actually I'm pretty happy with the cabin we got. too much for 5 days but that is peak cruise time right? Do you think "Explorer" will do anything special for the 4th of July being that 99% of the people on board are going to be Americans?

I have not booked a Guarantee, so I don't know if that means you can request a SPECIFIC cabin or not.

Sue

If your travel agent is on the ball you can request a specific cabin and get it, have even done it when booking directly with Royal Caribbean. My guess is though that the OP isn't going to do anything but pay whatever bills come in.

The End.

Do this aleast, call the agent in the morning and asked to be switched from cabin 1312 on deck 10 to cabin 9318 (it's available, I just checked) on deck 9......It's always better to be sandwiched between to deck of cabins rather then a public place above or below your cabin..........Plus you will get a better view from the balcony on deck 9 since it is right in the middle of the hump and allows you to loook both ways aft and forward.

Jimbo :)

I agree (and it is still available).

Archived