Oil Spill Changing Your Plans?

Soonerbaby

Yes. I am delaying booking two cruises that we planned to take this year. Waiting to see what happens and how ships might be affected. Might opt for land vacations unless Carnival puts out some kind of announcement about how they might protect reservations.

I noticed Carnival just started a "cash back" promotion. I thought that might be due to a drop off in bookings.

Do any of you think that people might switch to different itineraries that don't go through the Gulf?

We're booked on the Miracle out of New York, doing the Eastern Caribbean route and I've noticed that the prices have remained pretty high. On the other hand, I've heard that ships leaving from NY tend to fully sell out because so many people can drive to port.

I've noticed that also, not including the cash back I just found out about.

When I eyeballed those, the biggest seem to be for cruises from the left coast, and no oil spills out there.

This isn't the first time they've done cash back offers. Just some marketing in play. It wasn't that long ago that they raised prices.

Hell with BP and the oil! Leaving on the Triumph July 24th; Ate raw oyster this past weekend, ate fried shrimp poboy for lunch w/ a crab cake appetizer. ALL LOCAL SEAFOOD. Don't plan on snorkeling at the mouth of the Mississippi River where the oil is...

And actually heading the Alabama Gulf Coast for the weekend to support them also.

Nola girl here!

Hell with BP and the oil! Leaving on the Triumph July 24th; Ate raw oyster this past weekend, ate fried shrimp poboy for lunch w/ a crab cake appetizer. ALL LOCAL SEAFOOD. Don't plan on snorkeling at the mouth of the Mississippi River where the oil is...

And actually heading the Alabama Gulf Coast for the weekend to support them also.

Nola girl here!

Oysterfest?

Where'd ya get the poboy at?

WhoDat!

Drago's in the Hilton Saturday evening; Po Boy at Charlie's in Harahan. OMG!!!! That was the best shrimp sandwich (Leidenheimers bread) and crab cake appetizer ever!!!! Also, the crawfish and corn soup! No I did not eat dinner. Frank Brightsen is the owner/chef.... ridiculously good!

Geaux Tigers!

We are planning to stay at an ocean front hotel in South Beach a few days pre cruise. Now Im waiting a little longer till I make my reservation. Dont see the need in spending a lot more money for a hotel on the beach if its covered in oil.

We are planning to stay at an ocean front hotel in South Beach a few days pre cruise. Now Im waiting a little longer till I make my reservation. Dont see the need in spending a lot more money for a hotel on the beach if its covered in oil.

It would take a lot of ill winds to blow it up and around key west, then back west and hit south beach. I dont know when you are going ...but Florida needs your business.

Not changing anything, in fact, looking at booking one out of Mobile in July for a quick get away. Also headed to Orange Beach, AL this Saturday. If they close the beach I'll just sit at the pool and look at it! No problem. BP has hurt the areas economically enough...

Drago's in the Hilton Saturday evening; Po Boy at Charlie's in Harahan. OMG!!!! That was the best shrimp sandwich (Leidenheimers bread) and crab cake appetizer ever!!!! Also, the crawfish and corn soup! No I did not eat dinner. Frank Brightsen is the owner/chef.... ridiculously good!

Geaux Tigers!

Know both Drago's well. Love Brightsen's. Will have to try Charlie's! Thanks!

IMG_4948.JPG

Maybe. We were looking at the late July Legend but we are going to wait until last minute to book to see what's going on then. If it doesn't work out, we can do a land/driving vacation.

We both get about 10 weeks off a year, but due to different busy seasons wt work, we can usually manage just a 2 week overlap and it needs to fall in late July/early august so we don't have tons of flexibilty and only one vacation together per year.

My husband and I were discussing our trip this morning, as our final payment day is July 17th and we cruise in October. Is anyone changing their plans because of the oil spill? I am new at all this, so I have to ask, does cruise insurance cover cancellation due to something like the oil spill?

:( I was reading about all of the animals affected so far...so sad!

I feel so bad for the wildlife and critters of the sea.....but not for BP. We sail on July 17 and we are not changing our plans, You would probably be covered with insurance, but it would be the first of its kind, so no one really know what will happen. Have a great cruise!

It would take a lot of ill winds to blow it up and around key west, then back west and hit south beach. I dont know when you are going ...but Florida needs your business.

I agree and Im not to worried, but they are saying it MIGHT go that way. Not going untill end of September. I actually went and checked the price for my hotel again after posting that last thread, and the price has gone down from $360 for 2 nights to $300. So I think I will go ahead and reserve next week. It will be nice just to be in SOBE for 2 days and not by the airport or downtown.

We are in Idaho, and we changed our plans from Disney/Keys - Driving/beach/land vacation for 10 days TO a cruise. Legend. 8/1. And we are staying in Tampa with friends - have told her to keep her eyes open for the opportunity to volunteer for cleanup. My kids - 15 and 9 - may not understand what they will get from an opportunity to help. My dh does not agree.... Stick in the MUD! (or oil....)

My reason for changing had very little to do with the oil - we were planning on 4 days in Key West - where the oil is very likely to be... But the rest of the time was August - Inland - Crowded Theme Parks - ugh..... no thanx! Id rather be on a floating resort with a DOD in one hand and my sudoku book in the other while I sit on my balcony while my kids are busy at Camp Carnival and O2!!!

Take currents into account. The "Gulf Current" goes all the way to Scotland.

You would probably be covered with insurance

I would be willing to bet that most cruise insurance companies will find a clause they can use to avoid paying for any oil-related claims, especially if the cruise still sails but with a different itinerary. My guess is that they're going to tell the insured to file a claim with BP for any perceived damages, losses, or inconveniences.

We are leaving on Sunday on Conquest out of Galveston....oil or no oil. Headed to Key West and the Bahamas. The gulf is huge...we have dodged hurricanes, and I am sure the captain will dodge any oil slicks.

We went through Katrina and Ike on cruise ships....we will be fine.

Archived