Customs Question - Vancouver and U.S.

cruisedad2

We are U.S. citizens traveling on a southbound Alaska cruise originating in Anchorage and ending in Vancouver, then flying home in the United States. When we get to the airport in Vancouver, will we have to go through Customs at that airport, or only when our plane lands in the U.S., or do we have to go through Customs both in Vancouver and our U.S. airport at the end of the trip? Thank you very much for responding!

You will go through Customs and Immigration in Vancouver before your board your flight. I am pretty sure that you don't have to go through again at your destination. The only place that you sometimes go through Customs at the destination is Hawaii.

When you arrive in Vancouver you will clear Canadian Customs at Canada Place once at the airport you will then clear US Customs and that will be it. There is another process that is available to you which is a joint effort of the Port of Vancouver, YVR, airlines, customs and alike and it is called US Direct. With this you travel in a "in bond" situation from the ship directly to YVR and your plane with out clearing customs. Here is a link for your reference: link This does require that you purchase a transfer from Princess.

As a footnote, US Direct became effective for Princess pax on June 5 and ordinarily runs to about Labour Day.

If you are self-disembarking and going to catch a cab or take the new Canada Line out to YVR then that would be the quickest. Failing that, given your flight time I would opt for the US Direct Program...this can be arranged for at the Passenger Services Desk once on board but I would make arrangements early as seats can sell out.

We cleared customs and immigration last year in Vancouver returning from a cruise. It took us a couple of hours to clear and then queue into the security line. It was by far the worst part of the trip, but you dont have to clear customs in the US.

Canada line it just takes 26 minutes .

Come out of the underground up the slope to Cordova west Street turn left the Station is just one block away big red brick old fashioned building.

Two Canada line trains leave do not take the Brighouse one .The other one says Airport.

Thats if you decide to go by train.......:)

The train appeals to me, and we're ok with early disembarkation and walking with wheeled luggage, but is the train crowded in the morning? Is there a chance we wouldn't get a seat?

The start of the journey I've always got a seat at that stop.:)

I've changed my mind so many times about getting to Seattle after the cruise -- booked and canceled the Amtrak train, Amtrak bus and cruiseline shuttle.

I decided to try CanadaAir between Vancouver and Seattle, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for your help.:)

I've changed my mind so many times about getting to Seattle after the cruise -- booked and canceled the Amtrak train, Amtrak bus and cruiseline shuttle.

I decided to try CanadaAir between Vancouver and Seattle, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for your help.:)

We rented a car last month and drove to Seattle from Vancouver. It was nice because it gave us flexibility since our flight didn't leave Seattle until 11:30 p.m. The only downside was the 2 hour delay crossing the border.

Archived