Chair Hogs

Frassy

You know, it strikes me that Carnival (and other lines) could solve this problem easily. It would require a deck attendant, and I know they don't like to have them.

Just put a sticker on the back of the chair, noting the time. If the chair is not occupied in 30 minutes, just remove the flip flop or towel or decorative name-tag or whatever.

In my city, in areas where parking is restricted, the parking aides come along and chalk my tires. I've gotten several tickets because I over stayed my welcome.

I actually don't think Carnival has any desire to address this problem. It would require some attendant and that costs money. Plus, of course, people like to hog chairs.

You know - for the price of a cruise - inside stateroom - in the bowels of the ship I would do it. It would cost them less than $70 a day for me to tag chairs and remove crap that people drop on it at 6AM. I am menaposal, I am mean and I ain't small - just let some one challenge me. I'm in - anyone else want to join me. I love posting this time of the night after a drink of two - I grow balls

You know - for the price of a cruise - inside stateroom - in the bowels of the ship I would do it. It would cost them less than $70 a day for me to tag chairs and remove crap that people drop on it at 6AM. I am menaposal, I am mean and I ain't small - just let some one challenge me. I'm in - anyone else want to join me. I love posting this time of the night after a drink of two - I grow balls

Me too.... Me too... I will assist you (Power in numbers) Tag team the Chair Hogs. When do we start? :cool:

Me too.... Me too... I will assist you (Power in numbers) Tag team the Chair Hogs. When do we start? :cool:

Let's go girl - I am tagging you as a friend as we are two peas in a pod. We rule.

You know - for the price of a cruise - inside stateroom - in the bowels of the ship I would do it. It would cost them less than $70 a day for me to tag chairs and remove crap that people drop on it at 6AM. I am menaposal, I am mean and I ain't small - just let some one challenge me. I'm in - anyone else want to join me. I love

posting this time of the night after a drink of two - I grow balls

:eek::eek::eek:

The last (only) cruise I've been on, we didn't have much time on the pool deck due to rain and really rough seas. You all have me really nervous about this CHAIR HOG thing. In August when we cruise our plan is to sun bathe all day on our days at sea. I'm thinking I should make some signs "In the ladies room" "getting a drink" "getting wet in the pool" so our stuff is not bothered or moved to the lost n found when we get a minute. This CHAIR HOG issue sounds pretty serious. :/

My simple rule of thumb. If the chair, does not have a warm body in it, it's available. I have and never have had any issue with tossing the towels, on another chair. I see no need to tell a pool attendant, or no need to return the towels. Sometimes I just put the towels, under the chair I'm using! If someone returns, and claims the chair, I simply ask them to prove it.

You know, it strikes me that Carnival (and other lines) could solve this problem easily. It would require a deck attendant, and I know they don't like to have them.

Just put a sticker on the back of the chair, noting the time. If the chair is not occupied in 30 minutes, just remove the flip flop or towel or decorative name-tag or whatever.

In my city, in areas where parking is restricted, the parking aides come along and chalk my tires. I've gotten several tickets because I over stayed my welcome.

I actually don't think Carnival has any desire to address this problem. It would require some attendant and that costs money. Plus, of course, people like to hog chairs.

I totally agree. They could do it if they could and they should.

They should NOT leave it up to the passengers who are trying to have a good time to enforce the 30-minute rule. A passenger shouldn't have to do that. I tend to be out in the sun alone (no one else likes to sit there), so I can normally sit anywhere, but fair is fair.

Other cruise lines have "hog watcher's" who remove items that have been left for a pre-designated amount of time - Dont know how they manage that...kinda like the parking meeter lady I suppose. You are charged for your "beach" towels if they are not accounted for - So those that leave their beach towels on the chair for hours come back and they are gone not only are inconvenienced about their "spot" they get charged for the towel. Wish Carnival would implement something to that effect.

Other cruise lines have "hog watcher's" who remove items that have been left for a pre-designated amount of time - Dont know how they manage that...kinda like the parking meeter lady I suppose. You are charged for your "beach" towels if they are not accounted for - So those that leave their beach towels on the chair for hours come back and they are gone not only are inconvenienced about their "spot" they get charged for the towel. Wish Carnival would implement something to that effect.

It seems there are enough people here on CC who would gladly volunteer to do this.

We always run into this problem as we travel with a group of 20+ ppl and we can never find seats together...we normally set a time that we are all going to meet on deck and a little earlier a few of us will go in search of some chairs in the same area...It seems that everyone's issue is they don't want to sit next to someone they don't know so you will see a couple with a chair in between them and the next person and this continues until you have a line with 2 ppl, empty chair, 2 ppl, empty chair...so there are plenty of empty chairs, just not next to each other...

I watched on out last cruise as a lady came out and put 6 towels down right next to us...there were 4 of us but only 3 of us on deck so we only took 3 chairs...so about 2 hours later my older daughter was feeling a bit better and wanted to sit with us...my husband said to move one of the towels off of the other chairs that were STILL ALL vacant 2 hours later except for the woman that put them there...so I asked the woman if we could have one of the chairs and she said no...her family was having lunch in the MDR and when they came out they wanted to sit together...I said it has been 2 hours and she said no...so I picked up a towel and put it on the chair next to it and I sat there and gave my daughter my seat...the woman started yelling saying you can't do that, yada yada and I told her I would like to see her do something about it...

She proceeded to go to the towel attendant to tell him what happened...he came over and asked what the problem was and I told him, he told her you can't save chairs for more than a half hour and she is now going to have to move all of the other too as there were people waiting for deck chairs...so not only did she lose one, by thinking she was better than us and could do what she wanted she lost the 4 others...

I would have no problem moving someone's stuff if they were reserved for more than allotted amount of time and if I had an immediate need for the chair. I wouldn't move the stuff (even if it was well beyond the time limit) just to save a spot for someone I know.

Two questions--what IS the "posted" time limit rule when saving becomes "hogging"? And are chairs (on the Legend) generally more available away from the pool areas? I don't prefer to sit near the pools (especially the main pool--too noisy).

When I was on the Splendor, there were 2 men that came out and put towels, books, magazines, etc on about 12 chairs right next to the adult aft pool. PRIME real estate:D Their friends were sporadically coming out, I'm sure, as they were waking up...but at no time were all of those chairs being used. What a bunch of IDIOTS.

That's terrible. People don't think or care about others. I could NEVER do that.

After my first handful of cruises I just stopped trying to get a chair near the pools.

We always run into this problem as we travel with a group of 20+ ppl and we can never find seats together...we normally set a time that we are all going to meet on deck and a little earlier a few of us will go in search of some chairs in the same area...It seems that everyone's issue is they don't want to sit next to someone they don't know so you will see a couple with a chair in between them and the next person and this continues until you have a line with 2 ppl, empty chair, 2 ppl, empty chair...so there are plenty of empty chairs, just not next to each other...

I watched on out last cruise as a lady came out and put 6 towels down right next to us...there were 4 of us but only 3 of us on deck so we only took 3 chairs...so about 2 hours later my older daughter was feeling a bit better and wanted to sit with us...my husband said to move one of the towels off of the other chairs that were STILL ALL vacant 2 hours later except for the woman that put them there...so I asked the woman if we could have one of the chairs and she said no...her family was having lunch in the MDR and when they came out they wanted to sit together...I said it has been 2 hours and she said no...so I picked up a towel and put it on the chair next to it and I sat there and gave my daughter my seat...the woman started yelling saying you can't do that, yada yada and I told her I would like to see her do something about it...

She proceeded to go to the towel attendant to tell him what happened...he came over and asked what the problem was and I told him, he told her you can't save chairs for more than a half hour and she is now going to have to move all of the other too as there were people waiting for deck chairs...so not only did she lose one, by thinking she was better than us and could do what she wanted she lost the 4 others...

That is totally awesome. That story makes me feel warm inside :)

Love it! We've really only had a problem in the Serenity Area. My mom (about to be 60, lol) thinks it's a fun game now to gather things up and turn them into the lost and found so we can sit together, lol.

I don't see the problem. After a sufficient amount of time, I think staff should be removing things from chairs when the area is obviously full and people are looking for seats/loungers. Congrats to your mother for doing so herself.

My simple rule of thumb. If the chair, does not have a warm body in it, it's available. I have and never have had any issue with tossing the towels, on another chair. I see no need to tell a pool attendant, or no need to return the towels. Sometimes I just put the towels, under the chair I'm using! If someone returns, and claims the chair, I simply ask them to prove it.

That's how I see it too. If there is noone in the chair it's available. No need guessing how long the person has been gone. You can't leave the buffet line and come back and get in your same spot later. :rolleyes:

My personal favorite was a group on the old Celebration out of Jacksonville who'd made up these cute little laminated signs with clip art and ribbons and everything. Mom and I went up on the deck, some lady is tying them to the deck chairs. I just stop and wag a thumb at them. "Check it out," I say to my mother. "Aren't they nice?" the lady askes us in her lovely Southern drawl. My mom looks her dead in the eye and says, "You really put a lot of work into those, didn't you?" The lady smiles widely, "Why, yes I did. Thank you for noticing." Mom grins wider. "Yeah, too bad you can't save seats. Is your group somewhere on deck or can I sit there now?"

The woman THREW herself across the chairs. Threw herself. Life she was Pete Rose sliding into second. And then she preceded to flail her arms and legs and wail. Luckily, it attracted the attention of the deck captain who thought she was having a seizure. When he surmised she was just having a temper tantrum, he removed her signs and told her the policy. I sincerely hope that deck captain is still working for CCL. And that woman has gotten a grip on her control issues.

LMAO!!!!

Well, I gotta give the lady a 1/2 point for the signs and creativity! Much more creative than the usual banana, orange or Croc!

I have to tell you - after reading all these posts and going on our first cruise in October - I'm getting a little worried!

I want to have a relaxing vacation - but I feel like I have to worry about not being able to find chairs for my kids and hubby at the pool. I don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn and drag all of us down there just so we have a chair. Then if we wait we won't find anything!! This is too stressful... :eek:

I can just see me getting in a fight with a chair hog....:)

I have to tell you - after reading all these posts and going on our first cruise in October - I'm getting a little worried!

I want to have a relaxing vacation - but I feel like I have to worry about not being able to find chairs for my kids and hubby at the pool. I don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn and drag all of us down there just so we have a chair. Then if we wait we won't find anything!! This is too stressful... :eek:

I can just see me getting in a fight with a chair hog....:)

Ive never had too much of an issue getting a few chairs on 10+ cruises, including the Pride (my fave btw). If you want right next to the pool, those seem to be the first to go. Personally, I prefer away from the pool...a bit more calm imo.

On sea days, expect more crowds but I bet you will be fine and please dont let it stress you out! :)

It just comes down to the fact that the cruise lines very rarely do anything to curtail rude behavior. Chair hogging (whether it be poolside or in the theaters) is just one example. Cutting in lines, sitting in the stairwells at debarkation, leaving before your tag color is called, the list goes on and on.

And it's not limited to cruises. There are people that display common courtesy and follow the rules designed to maximize everyone's experience, and there are those who just do whatever they want, with the attitude that they really only care about themselves, so no number of disdainful stares, or even remarks really phase them.

In a closed, close quarters community such as a cruise, those behaviors just stand out more.

The cruise lines feel that they would lose the business of the rude people if they intervene, but that the others will just consider it an inconvenience, a part of cruising, and accept it.

And truth be told, most do.

According to my signature, my most recent cruise was in 2006. I finally got fed up with the cruise line's unwillingness to address issues that bother most of their customer base while providing less and less of the things I enjoyed the most about cruising.

Someone once told me to either do something about it or shut up. So I tried to see if there was any chance that the cruise lines had plans to address some of the crap that goes on, but found out that they don't.

So I voted with my feet and have been spending my vacation time and money on trips where I can limit, and to some extent, control my exposure to rude behavior.

Happy cruising!

ROFLMAO :D

Big Girls with Balls I think we need our own tag... Can I join in this group too?!?!?!?

Archived