SUN Update - Cancelled Cruises!!

guyver

Friends,

This is an unusually long drydocking (three weeks). I think that they will make MAJOR changes aboard the Sun, including things that we passengers will see.

I expect to see the old-fashioned TVs replaced.

I expect to see new, up-to-date technical equipment -- such as faster computers and karaoke machines with music on hard drives instead of CDs.

Another HUGE change (for the better) will occur in a massive [nearly complete?] changeover of crew members. All of the current people will go directly to other ships -- or they will go home (Philippines/Indonesia especially) on vacation, probably returning to other ships. Many CC reviews complain of bad morale on the Sun now. That will change.

Above all, I hope/expect to see a complete restructuring of the Garden Cafe (buffet restaurant area on the Pool Deck). BY FAR the greatest number of negative comments (in CC passenger reviews) are critical of the small size of that restaurant and the limited seating there.

I hope/expect to see a doubling of the size of the Garden Cafe (starboard aft corner) by the elimination of the Pacific Heights Restaurant, the Video Zone, and the Sports Bar (port aft). The space of these last three could/should be merged into the Garden Cafe. [see a deck layout here: http://www2.ncl.com/ship/sun/decks/1/11#tab_detail]

Have fun! :)

Friends,

This is an unusually long drydocking (three weeks). I think that they will make MAJOR changes aboard the Sun, including things that we passengers will see.

I expect to see the old-fashioned TVs replaced.

I expect to see new, up-to-date technical equipment -- such as faster computers and karaoke machines with music on hard drives instead of CDs.

Another HUGE change (for the better) will occur in a massive [nearly complete?] changeover of crew members. All of the current people will go directly to other ships -- or they will go home (Philippines/Indonesia especially) on vacation, probably returning to other ships. Many CC reviews complain of bad morale on the Sun now. That will change.

Above all, I hope/expect to see a complete restructuring of the Garden Cafe (buffet restaurant area on the Pool Deck). BY FAR the greatest number of negative comments (in CC passenger reviews) are critical of the small size of that restaurant and the limited seating there.

I hope/expect to see a doubling of the size of the Garden Cafe (starboard aft corner) by the elimination of the Pacific Heights Restaurant, the Video Zone, and the Sports Bar (port aft). The space of these last three could/should be merged into the Garden Cafe. [see a deck layout here: http://www2.ncl.com/ship/sun/decks/1/11#tab_detail]

Have fun! :)

You make some very good points. I will have to sign up for the TA again in April to see what she gets decked out with. (pun intended)

That makes sense, until you look at the fact that most passengers don't follow Cruise Critic on a regular basis. I first thought this thread addressed 2012 sailings as that would be the timefame in which a normal dry dock scheduling occurs. Announcing a dry dock less than 7 months ahead of time that does not involve fixing a recent chronic issue is very unusual in the cruise industry.

Totally agree. When we booked this cruise we were under tghe assumption that the drydock was going to be fall 2010. We have beeen fortunate. This cruise, if we were to book now it is $1150 more pp. I am not chronically complaining but I just feel that they could make a schedule and stick to it.

Boy that hurts, but NCL has given you plenty of notice. I don't know what else can be said. You may want to check other lines leaving about the same time.

Nita

I hasve looked at some of the the other lines and the only thing I see matching up is CCL Dream. That said, they are offering 7 day cruises and to get a comparable suite is totally way more money and also does not include NCL suite perks. Can not seem to come close to matching the deal I got with NCL.

I guess the only thing that really ticks me off is the extreme rise in airfare. That is certainly not NCL's fault. There is plenty of time left to rebook but I have become spoiled by getting great deals by booking early on the cruises. airfares, etc.

This too shall come to pass and We will forgive NCL and truly enjoy yet another vacation!! We have only sailed NCL and really like it. Have not found a reason to try another line. I guess the end of the day answer is that it is a good thing we got our cabin cheap.:)

If you are booked during this period you don't have to look at other lines, you just have to rent a car one way from MCO (or wherever you're flying to) to Miami. You can then take the Pearl, Epic, or Dawn. One way rental's are very reasonable ($30-$50???). I booked the Sun for spring break, so this is actually good news as when I booked it was scheduled for dry dock in the fall 2010; so on again, off again, on again....

Dear friends:

I am sorry the cruise company has cancelled your cruise. That is a big disappointment.

But for those of you who purchased flights and incurred other expenses, why should the answer be "Did you purchase trip insurance".

If the cruise line cancels the cruise, it should pay the expenses you incurred (such as non-refundable airline tickets, etc.). Remember, in this instance, the cancellation is the fault of the cruise line, not the passenger and not force majeure.

And what about passengers who can still book on the web, even though NCL knows that the cruises are cancelled? You mean to tell me that even these passengers will not be refunded their out-of-pocket expenses such as non-refundable airline tickets when in this case it is obvious negligence on the part of NCL if NCL does not immediately remove this booking capacity? I don't think NCL's position would hold up in court, despite what they probably put in their contracts issued in the U.S. (the cruiseline can do whatever it wants whenever it wants and the passenger has no recourse).

I'm not sure what the laws are in the United States, but here in the European Union, the cruise line must pay those expenses and must also compensate the passenger by giving at least 5% of the cost of the trip in cash, apart from a full refund.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

I am sorry the cruise company has cancelled your cruise. That is a big disappointment.

But for those of you who purchased flights and incurred other expenses, why should the answer be "Did you purchase trip insurance".

If the cruise line cancels the cruise, it should pay the expenses you incurred (such as non-refundable airline tickets, etc.). Remember, in this instance, the cancellation is the fault of the cruise line, not the passenger and not force majeure.

And what about passengers who can still book on the web, even though NCL knows that the cruises are cancelled? You mean to tell me that even these passengers will not be refunded their out-of-pocket expenses such as non-refundable airline tickets when in this case it is obvious negligence on the part of NCL if NCL does not immediately remove this booking capacity? I don't think NCL's position would hold up in court, despite what they probably put in their contracts issued in the U.S. (the cruiseline can do whatever it wants whenever it wants and the passenger has no recourse).

I'm not sure what the laws are in the United States, but here in the European Union, the cruise line must pay those expenses and must also compensate the passenger by giving at least 5% of the cost of the trip in cash, apart from a full refund.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

When you put a deposit down or in final payment with any cruise line here in the states you have agreed to their terms and conditions of a contract. The cruiseline contract discloses that they have the right to cancel the cruise at any time for any reason. This includes the entire cruise or once on board ship they can cancel or add a port if need be. Trip insurance will cover the costs associated with the cancelled cruise. As I indicated in an earlier post this is one of the examples where it MAY have been cheaper to purchase the cruise line's air because in that case there are no cancel fee's.

What type of insurance would cover the loss of changing airline tickets? Not cruise insurance as the OP is not out any cruise line payments. Not trip interruption as the flight is still going on. What would you buy to cover this?

There are third party insurance out there that would have coved this. Companies like Travel Guard and Access America, just to name two...You are correct that if you purchase the cruise line insurance it would not cover the airline tickets that you purchase on your own. Which is why you want to go with a third party company.

We are booked on a 14-day B2B leaving 1/15/11.

We have heard nothing from NCL... (they do have our email address - get emails from them all the time.)

We booked early to secure an aft cabin and got it!

We are using the NCL reward points that cannot be used after January 2011.

Our flights are booked!

Celebrating a special anniversary!

$50 OBC means absolutly nothing (well almost nothing) to us.

This is awful...

We love NCL, but... we hope to be treated fairly as this all plays out.

I suppose we'll wait to hear something from NCL before moving forward.... maybe?

Hope we are all able to get things worked out for us who are impacted by this situation!

Happy cruisin' everyone!

We are booked on a 14-day B2B leaving 1/15/11.

We have heard nothing from NCL... (they do have our email address - get emails from them all the time.)

We booked early to secure an aft cabin and got it!

We are using the NCL reward points that cannot be used after January 2011.

Our flights are booked!

Celebrating a special anniversary!

$50 OBC means absolutly nothing (well almost nothing) to us.

This is awful...

We love NCL' date=' but... we hope to be treated fairly as this all plays out.

I suppose we'll wait to hear something from NCL before moving forward.... maybe?

Hope we are all able to get things worked out for us who are impacted by this situation!

Happy cruisin' everyone![/quote']

I wouldn't wait. I would want to start working this out ASAP while you may still have a chance to get the type of cabin you want on another sailing. You may want to take the other person's advice and try to get on NCL out of Miami for the same dates and rent a car from the Orlando airport to Miami, unless you can change your flights without too much penalty.

Dear friends:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Well, no court will ever get to rule on "NCL's position" (which I agree with you, is really crappy), because NCL has included a forced arbitration clause in its guest ticket contract (check out paragraph 10b). Unless you have a claim for personal injury, illness, or death against NCL, no court for you! PRIVATE arbitration, in Miami. (Oh, you live far away and it would be too costly for you to go to arbitration there? Well, that's the intent!) Closed proceedings, no transparency, no procedural or substantive protections of the American judicial system.

What most Americans don't realize is that these sorts of forced arbitration clauses have been snuck into most employment agreements and most contracts for consumer goods and services. Do you have a cell phone, a computer, see a doctor, work for a big company? You've probably signed such a clause. No court for you in the event of a dispute.

And the arbitrators get this repeat business from the companies, so they are beholden to them. Rule for a consumer and you won't be hired again. It's a dirty little secret. We've lost so many rights, we don't even know it.

Sorry for the thread drift, but Gunther and Uta are correct, we Americans put up with far too much from Big Business. I think NCL's idea of a $50 OBC as compensation sucks.

Totally agree. When we booked this cruise we were under tghe assumption that the drydock was going to be fall 2010. We have beeen fortunate. This cruise, if we were to book now it is $1150 more pp. I am not chronically complaining but I just feel that they could make a schedule and stick to it.

I hasve looked at some of the the other lines and the only thing I see matching up is CCL Dream. That said, they are offering 7 day cruises and to get a comparable suite is totally way more money and also does not include NCL suite perks. Can not seem to come close to matching the deal I got with NCL.

I guess the only thing that really ticks me off is the extreme rise in airfare. That is certainly not NCL's fault. There is plenty of time left to rebook but I have become spoiled by getting great deals by booking early on the cruises. airfares, etc.

This too shall come to pass and We will forgive NCL and truly enjoy yet another vacation!! We have only sailed NCL and really like it. Have not found a reason to try another line. I guess the end of the day answer is that it is a good thing we got our cabin cheap.:)

I am so sorry for all your disappointment. It does suck. but this does happen from time to time, not just with NCL, but with all lines. Either they decide on dry docking, they change the itinerary or they charter the ships to private groups. Regardless that doesn't help you I know.

Nita

Called ncl today and was told she knew nothing about a dry dock so who do we believe....I hope this is not true as i'm really looking forward for a 14 day cruise with my friends.....:mad::p:p

I received a call from my TA yesterday morning saying our 1/15 B2B 14 day was cancelled. She forwarded to me a letter received from Crane Gladding, Senior Vice President, Passenger Services and Revenue Managment, Norwegian Cruise Lines. Sorry, I can't copy and paste here since it is an Adobe document and won't allow me to. It states that the sailings of Norwegian Sun for Jan. 1, 8, 15 and 22 have been canceled.

I also wish this was not true, but looks like it is a done deal. You have until June 25 to make a decision about rebooking with $50 OBC (really cheap!) and price protection. After the 25th, you deposit will be refunded.

If you booked with a TA, contact them immediately. If you booked with NCL direct and they are telling you they know nothing about it, I don't know what you can do. Maybe refer them to Mr. Gladding.

To schedule a dry dock this close to scheduled sailings seems very unusual. Usually only happens when a significant issue needs to be addressed. I agree $50 or $100 OBC is pretty low after you factor the markup of purchases onboard.

I don't think that six and a half months from sailing is considered 'close' to a scheduled sailing.

...this does happen from time to time, not just with NCL, but with all lines. .

Nita

I don't come over to this board much anymore (I'm sure there are some who are verey glad) but it sure seems like every time I pop over here there is something like this on page 1.

I don't come over to this board much anymore (I'm sure there are some who are verey glad) but it sure seems like every time I pop over here there is something like this on page 1.

Not sure the rest of us follow....care to elaborate? :confused:

Unfortunately, the cruise lines book cruises up to two years in advance, but you won't allow the cruise line to make any changes to their ship's itineraries for a drydock six months in advance...

Six months is a lot of time, more than enough to rebook a cruise and/or flights. Six months is not a sudden change of one week or less... I doubt whether any ship of any line is fully booked six months in advance, so whatever changes shouldn't take much more than a single call to your travel agent.

Not sure the rest of us follow....care to elaborate? :confused:

It just seems like NCL does a better job finding ways to screw thier customers over than the other lines. When I frequent the other boards, its very unusual to see a major change so poorly communicated. Sure there are threads about curling irons and such, but very seldom something like this.

It just seems like NCL does a better job finding ways to screw thier customers over than the other lines.

You are entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be. All cruiselines have things come up that cause discomfort to their passengers.

Some people just have a jaded view of certain lines and freely (and continually) express those views. Myself I cannot bother to take the time to incessantly complain about cruise lines that have disappointed me, I speak with my pocketbook.

PE

It just seems like NCL does a better job finding ways to screw thier customers over than the other lines. When I frequent the other boards, its very unusual to see a major change so poorly communicated. Sure there are threads about curling irons and such, but very seldom something like this.

I had to ask!:rolleyes:

FWIW, everyone cruise line has its share of shortcomings as expressed on the many threads here. Your opinion is your opinion. Thankfully, not everyone shares it. Coming to a board to add nothing but negative expressions on a line you prefer not to sail takes a very jaded person.

It is certainly not hard to see why you wouldn't be welcome.

You are entitled to your opinion' date=' as wrong as it may be. All cruiselines have things come up that cause discomfort to their passengers. [/color']

Some people just have a jaded view of certain lines and freely (and continually) express those views. Myself I cannot bother to take the time to incessantly complain about cruise lines that have disappointed me, I speak with my pocketbook.

PE

I had to ask!:rolleyes:

FWIW, everyone cruise line has its share of shortcomings as expressed on the many threads here. Your opinion is your opinion. Thankfully, not everyone shares it. Coming to a board to add nothing but negative expressions on a line you prefer not to sail takes a very jaded person.

It is certainly not hard to see why you wouldn't be welcome.

My most recent post to this board, last night, was fairly complementary, and the most recent post that could be remotely construed as negative was back in February. Yet you folks decide to profile my personality with broad exagerations and generalizations ("continually", "incessantly", and "nothing but negative") and you say I'm Jaded? :rolleyes:

I've haven't sailed NCL in a few years, so I would be very hesitant to comment on most things shipboard as I'm sure many things have changed. Over that same time, very little has changed on this board.:(

Not too hesitant though!!! It's that damn turkey isn't it?? :rolleyes:

PE

We have not had the pleasure of cruising on Thanksgiving since our Spirit Cruise and have avoided Turkey on the 4 cruises we've taken since then. ;)

Update folks!! I just got through changing my cruise date. Fairly painless. As was stated in the letter, original cruise fare was protected. I had a $300 OBC from my original booking and it remains as well as the $100 extra OBC because of the drydock.

The one thing not publicized is airfare penalties. I asked about this and was told that they will reimburse up to $150 pp. That is appreciated. It doesn't cover my flight change fees but it certainly helps.:)

Archived