SUN Update - Cancelled Cruises!!

guyver

I just got an email fron NCL informing me that the following cruises are cancelled. January 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd. This is due to their drydock updating.

This is a bummer. I am scheduled to do a B2B on the 1st and 8th in an AC suite.

It states that there is a $50 OBC ($100 for suites) if you rebook on sailings between October 16th, 2010 and April 9th, 2011.

The worst of it all is that I already have flights booked, cars rented, and hotels booked. I got a good deal on our flights so I am sure there will be a penalty on that one. Not sure about the rest.

Sorry to hear of your having to cancel. That is more than a bummer - a lot of time and $ down the drain. I too, would have hoped NCL would compensate a bit better, but you made me remember to put some trip insurance down for our just booked trip last week.

Thanks for the update and good luck in finding your next cruise.

I do feel bad for all the January cruisers. Do you know if the 29th is still on? We are on that one with about 500 + rock n rollers.....

According to the email, the sailing on Jan. 29th looks like it is a go. Personally, I am hesitant to book that date in case their renovations take a little longer than expected.

The one week sailings on Jan 1 is still a go. The ship will dry dock when it returns to port on Jan. 8. Very sorry to hear of your cancellation.

You could be right. My letter says it is cancelled but that might be just because I have it booked as a 14 day.

your trip got cancelled.....if you can't reschedule something around the flights you already booked, maybe you could try calling NCL back and explain you already booked flights etc and is there something they can do to compensate you. Worth a try good luck!!!

Question? We are booked on the Sun Feb 19, 2011 western Caribbean....now since it will be in dry dock does this mean it will be redone for our trip? This will be our 2nd cruise (both NCL) so not sure exactly what this means.

Thanks!!

Sorry about that but you could do a B2B on the Carnival Dream on the same dates.:)

We were just on the Dream last Fall for one of the 2wk Med cruises. She's a nice ship. A dramatic improvement on the Carnival cruises we took in the mid-90s.

your trip got cancelled.....if you can't reschedule something around the flights you already booked, maybe you could try calling NCL back and explain you already booked flights etc and is there something they can do to compensate you. Worth a try good luck!!!

Question? We are booked on the Sun Feb 19, 2011 western Caribbean....now since it will be in dry dock does this mean it will be redone for our trip? This will be our 2nd cruise (both NCL) so not sure exactly what this means.

Thanks!!

This is one example where it could have been cheaper to book the air through the cruise line. No extra fee's if they cancel the sail date you are booked on. You book the air on your own, you are liable for the cancellation fees...

\ since it will be in dry dock does this mean it will be redone for our trip? This will be our 2nd cruise (both NCL) so not sure exactly what this means.

Thanks!!

Dry Dock means that she'll have an engine overhaul, the eletrical systems, ventilation systems and everything else mechanical will be looked at VERY thoroughly. You might expect some interior rehabbing as well, but since carpets and stuff are changed all the time during cruises that might not be an issue. They might do some more interior painting, have new furniture installed (maybe) they might update things as well that you will never see if you are a passenger.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Pretty Strange! I just went to the NCL site to try and book a January 8 cruise on the Sun. It let me go all the way to the payment page and was ready to take my money.

Hope they fix this before others make plans and book flights.

thats to bad for all the JANUARY SUN cruisers that this AFFECTS...SORRY to hear, am on the sailing a month before she goes into drydock--i guess we just NEVER know about these types of things....to bad tho MORE isnt offered especially when you already have flights:(

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE with booking another!!!

Pretty Strange! I just went to the NCL site to try and book a January 8 cruise on the Sun. It let me go all the way to the payment page and was ready to take my money.

Hope they fix this before others make plans and book flights.

I Just called NCL and the lady I spoke to said she just received the e-mail. Dry dock will affect the 1/8, 1/15 & 1/22 sailings. She didn't know when the web site would be updated. Should be good to go for the 29th. DH and I are planning on going on the 29th. Maybe it's a good thing we haven't booked yet. (We're late bookers)

This kinda bites the big one!! Just checked on changing my airfare and with raised airfare costs and change fees, it is going to cost us an extra $600.:eek:

Easily remedied with insurance. Did you buy insurance?

If not, the best solution would be to look for another sailing with the same departure dates as previously planned. I know it won't be as easy given that you were doing a B2B, but worth a try.

To those booked on these cruises I am truly sorry that your cruise has been cancelled. I know how heart breaking this must be.

As big of a fan of NCL as I am, I do believe I would check and see what other cruises I could take on different lines for the same dates, rather than pay a lot more for airfare.

To schedule a dry dock this close to scheduled sailings seems very unusual. Usually only happens when a significant issue needs to be addressed. I agree $50 or $100 OBC is pretty low after you factor the markup of purchases onboard.

To schedule a dry dock this close to scheduled sailings seems very unusual. Usually only happens when a significant issue needs to be addressed. I agree $50 is pretty low.

Her drydock has been discussed for several months on these boards. She was due to go in this Fall if not earlier this year but had been postponed because she must have been in good shape not to warrant it. So, technically drydock has been in the making for about a year.

Her drydock has been discussed for several months on these boards. She was due to go in this Fall if not earlier this year but had been postponed because she must have been in good shape not to warrant it. So, technically drydock has been in the making for about a year.

That makes sense, until you look at the fact that most passengers don't follow Cruise Critic on a regular basis. I first thought this thread addressed 2012 sailings as that would be the timefame in which a normal dry dock scheduling occurs. Announcing a dry dock less than 7 months ahead of time that does not involve fixing a recent chronic issue is very unusual in the cruise industry.

I just got an email fron NCL informing me that the following cruises are cancelled. January 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd. This is due to their drydock updating.

This is a bummer. I am scheduled to do a B2B on the 1st and 8th in an AC suite.

It states that there is a $50 OBC ($100 for suites) if you rebook on sailings between October 16th, 2010 and April 9th, 2011.

The worst of it all is that I already have flights booked, cars rented, and hotels booked. I got a good deal on our flights so I am sure there will be a penalty on that one. Not sure about the rest.

Boy that hurts, but NCL has given you plenty of notice. I don't know what else can be said. You may want to check other lines leaving about the same time.

Nita

Archived