Use TA or Book Directly

Chirpbird

Some TAs discount the fare up to say around 10% (cruisefare only after port charges subtracted out).

If they dont discount, I would book direct... and in fact have been booking direct, so I have control and can submit the price drop form myself and not dependent on a TA to do it.

If they dont discount, I would book direct... and in fact have been booking direct, so I have control and can submit the price drop form myself and not dependent on a TA to do it.

Excellent point. I think I have sumitted the price drop form for my Inspiartion cruise four times now. Maintaining control over the reservation is important.

With NCL, however, I will use a TA as they are allowed to discount.

Depends on what cruise or which cabin I'm booking. On my upcoming Miracle cruise, I wanted an aft wrap and knew there probably won't be any price drops as these are very popular cabins so I booked with an TA that offered me a great discount in essence getting my saved money up front. On my upcoming Destiny cruise, I'm doing a cheapy cruise and knew the TA couldn't do much for me so I booked thru Carnival.

Pat

I have booked with Carnivals PVP (Wayne) for the last three cruises and have had excellent service. BUT, on the other hand so many people are booking directly TAs are becoming an endangered species. I was planning on being a TA when I retire but have changed my mind. The only TAs are the ones that are online and specialize like cruises only or corporations.

I have booked with Carnivals PVP (Wayne) for the last three cruises and have had excellent service. BUT, on the other hand so many people are booking directly TAs are becoming an endangered species. I was planning on being a TA when I retire but have changed my mind. The only TAs are the ones that are online and specialize like cruises only or corporations.

I have used both and had no issues.. but just to let you know you are not allowed to mention the PVPs name on CC sorry;)

It is really a persons preference as to how they book. The only issue is if you book Early Saver rate. You have to ask and find out of TA's will act on your behalf if the prices goes lower and submit the forms. It meansless profit for them, so it is questionable if they would or not. A PVP or booking direct online means you have the abilty to get the OBC or lower rate when you book ES rate.

I like the PVP's and I have a good TA.....

We've done both--just depends on the deal we get. I was going to book online for our upcoming cruise because a "popular online travel site" was offering a $75 OBC and the price was good. Fortunately for me, they were having issues with their site and I wasn't able to book it. So, I called Carnival and booked direct and saved $100 pp. :D Other times, I've gotten a better deal through a TA or online, so I usually check both.

Must say though, I'm not very happy with my PVP. She's extremely slow to respond. Will find a new one next time I book direct. Maybe Wayne. ;)

Just to toss in a different point of view here:

TA's aren't just for discounting, as a majority of the posters in this thread allude to. Yes, getting a lower rate is always a bonus, but the use of a TA should be about more than just the price you're getting. Good TA's offer personalized service, personalized recommendations, and are looking out for your needs and the investment of your vacation dollars. They want to be sure you get the experience you are looking for, and that your money is spent such that you get the biggest bang for your buck. It's also quite nice to be able to pick up the phone and call someone, and have them know who you are right away and know your travel history, rather than having to explain everything every time to a reservationist who doesn't know you from Adam.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with booking direct, but do realize there's more to using a TA than just getting a lower price. My TA has been great for me, and it took me a while to find him. I don't use him for everything, but I do use him for my cruises. I always feel much better knowing I have someone keeping tabs on my stuff for me. It frees me up to focus on other things, like the rest of my life.

TA's aren't just for discounting, as a majority of the posters in this thread allude to. Yes, getting a lower rate is always a bonus, but the use of a TA should be about more than just the price you're getting. Good TA's offer personalized service, personalized recommendations, and are looking out for your needs and the investment of your vacation dollars. They want to be sure you get the experience you are looking for, and that your money is spent such that you get the biggest bang for your buck. It's also quite nice to be able to pick up the phone and call someone, and have them know who you are right away and know your travel history, rather than having to explain everything every time to a reservationist who doesn't know you from Adam..

How is that different than using a PVP? My PVP knows pretty much exactly what I want before I even say it. She knows my cruise history and that I want early dining...all my preferences and she also has inside information to get that FCC processed faster etc. I wouldnt have wanted to deal with a TA when I booked 8 days before my cruise to get a FCC also processed, as it was it got posted on Wednesday and I left on the cruise Saturday, but left for the hotel on friday... with a TA I think it would be cutting it too thin.

TA's aren't just for discounting, as a majority of the posters in this thread allude to. Yes, getting a lower rate is always a bonus, but the use of a TA should be about more than just the price you're getting. Good TA's offer personalized service, personalized recommendations, and are looking out for your needs and the investment of your vacation dollars. They want to be sure you get the experience you are looking for, and that your money is spent such that you get the biggest bang for your buck. It's also quite nice to be able to pick up the phone and call someone, and have them know who you are right away and know your travel history, rather than having to explain everything every time to a reservationist who doesn't know you from Adam.

Well said and I agree totally.

How is that different than using a PVP? My PVP knows pretty much exactly what I want before I even say it. She knows my cruise history and that I want early dining...all my preferences and she also has inside information to get that FCC processed faster etc. I wouldnt have wanted to deal with a TA when I booked 8 days before my cruise to get a FCC also processed, as it was it got posted on Wednesday and I left on the cruise Saturday, but left for the hotel on friday... with a TA I think it would be cutting it too thin.
I honestly can't say how it's different with a PVP, except that a PVP has Carnival's best interests in mind and a TA has your best interest in mind. Even then I wouldn't know. If you're happy with your PVP, that's terrific. For me, I like having a relationship with my TA - he's actually more of a consultant than an agent, really, and shows that he is invested in my happiness. He practices that relationship marketing stuff I'm sure you've heard about - I don't know of a PVP who does.

As far as your FCC goes, it's possible a PVP had an inside track on getting that processed faster than a TA would. Again, I wouldn't know. But, a TA worth his (or her) salt would climb mountains for you. And that's certainly a mountain.

Depends on what cruise or which cabin I'm booking. On my upcoming Miracle cruise, I wanted an aft wrap and knew there probably won't be any price drops as these are very popular cabins so I booked with an TA that offered me a great discount in essence getting my saved money up front. On my upcoming Destiny cruise, I'm doing a cheapy cruise and knew the TA couldn't do much for me so I booked thru Carnival.

Pat

Same here....depends on the cruise....some don't ever drop in price...like our Southern Carib Miracle cruise.....it has only gone up and up and up and now is nearly sold out....so price drops won't happen. In this case it would have been far more fiscally prudent to have booked with a TA, taken their lower offered fare and OBC and we would have been FAR better off. It also depends on who you use at Carnival....some PVP's are great, as the testimonials people give for some, others are really not good at all and offer nothing over booking online yourself or using a TA from the outside.

Archived