Spirit Pilot Stike

mistery_cruiser

No one made them accept the job ...and they were being offered salary increases ... if the salary now was ok, then with the increases in this economy it should be enough... I think they should have not walked out like this. Hope they fire the pilots ...as if they could. If it was so easy to find a job at a higher salary with another airline, they would have done so.

I personally am against unions though...

Regardless of the job (how terrible the pay etc)...I have to agree with you.

The pilots knew this when they signed on. IF there was a better job out there that they could get....they would leave Spirit in a heart beat........

but (people conveniently leave out this part of the equation)...these pilots are earning something far more important than dollars and that is flying HOURS....

they obviously don't have the hours to get the better jobs....and this is something they will get a Spirit.....

I have the perfect solution....let all these pilots (who seem to think they know more than management) put all THEIR money together and start their own airline.... then they can pay themselves as much as they want....

When the teachers of Palm Beach went out on strike (or anyone else) I have as little sympathy and think they are holding the public hostage to get their way. They know the company or the govt has little choice but to give in because Unions are behind them. No one else that isnt unionized can get away with this stuff .. its wrong.

The teachers had the same excuse, we have the most important job, we teach your young ones for the future... everyone thinks they are more important and need to be paid more ...I wish all Unions would be gone.

Now I hear many union pensions are in the red and this morning on FOX said both Republicans and Democrats are backing a plan for us, the taxpayer, to fund the union pensions...same as we did with GM. Only Unions can get away with this. ..but I hear it will be the next bail out ...Union pension plans.

I also blame Unions for GM not being able to compete financially with the other car makers and going into bankruptcy ... lets send spirit into bankruptcy too, good idea unions.

to add to the issue NO other airline will accept Spirit tickets, so all Spririt passenger have to start from scratch :( They can request a refer from Spirit but boy oh boy booking last second on flights that are already over sold not easy and not cheap!

Isn't that true with Jet Blue also? Not sure about Southwest.

040107NA14_prv.gif&LFG=0x00000001&BANNERID=&PARTNER=Hotbar&REQUESTERID=&VER=10%2e2%2e215%2e0&CID=C65B7A6D0B519D4F98558962F6730FA36EB8A77B&UCDW=1212311408&DSI=298&COUNTRY=US&LANG=en%2dUS&SG=

040107NA14_prv.gif&LFG=0x00000001&BANNERID=&PARTNER=Hotbar&REQUESTERID=&VER=10%2e2%2e215%2e0&CID=C65B7A6D0B519D4F98558962F6730FA36EB8A77B&UCDW=1212311408&DSI=298&COUNTRY=US&LANG=en%2dUS&SG=

True for Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran and Spirit.....NO other carriers will accept their tickets so you are on your own when flying these airlines in the case of strike, cancellations due to aircraft breakdown, weather, etc....

Okay I have to add my two cents here! I'm a teacher in New Jersey and every single paycheck I get, money is automatically taken out to contribute to my pension. Unfortunately, for the past fifteen years the state government has contributed only a small fraction of what it was obligated to pay into the pension fund. The reason the pension funds are going bust is not teachers or unions, but underfunding by the state and allowing state employees to collect more than one pension. Teachers are not the bad guys here!!!

but (people conveniently leave out this part of the equation)...these pilots are earning something far more important than dollars and that is flying HOURS....

Hours is not the issue here. These pilots can't get a job somewhere else because NOBODY is hiring. At this point in time, most pilots at Spirit currently fulfill the hour requirements to fly at any major airline, but they have to stay at Spirit because there are no other jobs. In fact there are thousands and thousands of pilots out there that have been laid off and can't get a job anywhere. Management knows that and that's why they've been unwilling to negotiate. Their attitude has been "put up with it or leave" very well knowing that their pilots don't have anywhere to go to.

Fire 'em all. With all the downsizing in the airline industry I am sure there are other qualified pilots looking for a job.

More likely would be the airline folding, and then everyone, including the pilots, will be out on the street.

Fire 'em all. With all the downsizing in the airline industry I am sure there are other qualified pilots looking for a job.

Do you know what happens to pilots who get hired by an airline during a strike and cross the picket line? It's career suicide. They'll never, ever get hired at a reputable airline. They'll be blackballed for life. Nobody will take the chance, no matter how desperate they are for a flying job.

Obama could stop this strike if he wanted to

Obama would step in if it was a major airline, but Spirit is a small airline whose strike will only affect a very small percentage of all travelers. I doubt that he would step in...

It's true about all low cost carriers. They don't have reciprocal agreements with any other airline. In case of a strike, cancellation, or financial default, passengers holding tickets on any of these airlines are on their own...

We've flown Spirit a few times. The first couple were OK. The last few . . . disasters. The only thing we like about them now is that they help to keep the other airlines prices down, where they compete. Other than that, maybe it's a good time for them to call it quits.

R&D

Obama would step in if it was a major airline, but Spirit is a small airline whose strike will only affect a very small percentage of all travelers. I doubt that he would step in...

Spirit operates 150 flights per day. Let's say 200 people per plane (200 X 150) equals 33,000 people per day.

I was one of them.

Debbie

That and the apparent recent feeling in much of Washington that Ben Baldanza is a goober, and they're not interested in steping in to save his fanny.

Perhaps??

Spirit Management has caused grief to the public. They've had three years to come up with an acceptable contract with decent work rules and pay scale. Yet they've denied every single proposal. They've been unwilling to negotiate or to listen to common sense. The pilots have been left with no other course of action than to strike (which was approved by a court ruling).

Spirit pilots make considerably less money with worse work rules than other airlines operating the same type of equipment. Instead of pointing fingers at these "greedy pilots", people should think about how safe they would feel flying on a plane commaned by someone who is making less money than someone's secretary, and who has been up flying for the last 12 hours with minimum rest by the time they get to operate the flight taking them to their cruise vacation....

I read that the pilots were offered a 30% increase in pay over 5 years. If that is true, they are not only greedy but idiots to be striking in this environment. They deserve to be fired and replaced by someone willing to work.

This must have been written by one of the union negotiators.

I cannot believe there would be a pilot around making less money than a secretary unless she happens to work for the government.

As a Union Member and elected Union Official, I stand by this strike 100%. Unions are responsible for everyone out there who has a minimum wage. Every one out there who has vacation time, sick leave and family medical leave. They are responsible for the 40hour work week and rules that pay you overtime.

Why do you think companies are so against unions? because they hold managment accountable and protect the rights of workers. If it inconviences your travel plans, well, bless your heart.

I bet your time is worth more than the "experience" your getting while doing your job. Its funny how everyone thinks they deserve more for what they do, but others do not.

Since the pilots "Should go find a better paying job" maybe you should learn how to fly your own plane and not relay on a Union Pilot to get you to your destination cheaply.

I read that the pilots were offered a 30% increase in pay over 5 years. If that is true, they are not only greedy but idiots to be striking in this environment. They deserve to be fired and replaced by someone willing to work.

This must have been written by one of the union negotiators.

I cannot believe there would be a pilot around making less money than a secretary unless she happens to work for the government.

You've READ what the company wants you, the flying public, to hear. Airline managements will twist any story they can to make you sympathize with them - regardless of the truth behind it.

A 30% increase over 5 years isn't much. Sounds good on paper like you READ! However, I'm sure a majority of these pilots are flying with a pay around $19,000-$22,000 a year and shouldering about $80,000 in student loans. It costs a bundle to get your pilots license and a degree. All that just to be paid less than a Starbucks worker.

Keep READING, maybe some day you'll find the truth.

As a Union Member and elected Union Official, I stand by this strike 100%. Unions are responsible for everyone out there who has a minimum wage. Every one out there who has vacation time, sick leave and family medical leave. They are responsible for the 40hour work week and rules that pay you overtime.

Why do you think companies are so against unions? because they hold managment accountable and protect the rights of workers. If it inconviences your travel plans, well, bless your heart.

I bet your time is worth more than the "experience" your getting while doing your job. Its funny how everyone thinks they deserve more for what they do, but others do not.

Since the pilots "Should go find a better paying job" maybe you should learn how to fly your own plane and not relay on a Union Pilot to get you to your destination cheaply.

At a recent family get together my union worker sister spent 15 minutes raising cain about the company where she works. She was saying all non union management were stupid and the working conditions were terrible etc.! Finally I had heard enough and ask my sis why didn't quit and fine a job she would enjoy. Her response..."are you kidding! I make great money with a fantastic retirement!":confused: Great benefits despite stupid management or "suits" as she calls management! :rolleyes:

My dad was union as well as my sister. I'm non union in management (I LOVE my job). We have had some great "union discussions" in my family!:D

At a recent family get together my union worker sister spent 15 minutes raising cain about the company where she works. She was saying all non union management were stupid and the working conditions were terrible etc.! Finally I had heard enough and ask my sis why didn't quit and fine a job she would enjoy. Her response..."are you kidding! I make great money with a fantastic retirement!":confused: Great benefits despite stupid management or "suits" as she calls management! :rolleyes:

My dad was union as well as my sister. I'm non union in management (I LOVE my job). We have had some great "union discussions" in my family!:D

A union is only as good as it's members. And being managment doesnt automatically make you stupid. The Union's dedication is to it's members. Managments dedication is to profit and it's shareholders.

A union is only as good as it's members. And being managment doesnt automatically make you stupid. The Union's dedication is to it's members. Managments dedication is to profit and it's shareholders.

The most important thing to ANY traded company is the shareholders! If the companies stock loses value, everyone could lose their job! So yes indeed, union members would be wise to also have some dedication to their companies profits and shareholders! Sadly, I'm not sure every union member understands this......:rolleyes:

As a dedicated union member for over 30 years I agree with you whole heartedly!!!!!! I would not have my job if it wasn't for the union.

Well the unions have certainly benefited the US steel, train and car industries. Now, unionized government workers and their pension plans are driving governments into bankruptcy.

I hope they fire all the strikers and hire new pilots.

Archived