family service radio? (walkie talkie)

oldmedic

You have to check the frequency it uses. Some US based walkie talkies work on a frequency used by the Italian government/military, which has led to problems.

One way to be sure is to check the web site for your radios. They should be able to tell you what countries they can be used in.

When we were touring Germany in 2002. They were still a novelty back then so it raised some eyebrows. My German cousin bought a European version of our Motorola the following year.

They sure saved us a lot of time and heartache last time and allowed us to wander and separate a bit.

We're probably taking them next month for our cruise to the Med.

Just use them quietly and sensibly - don't display them around officials if you're yacking in English.

When we were touring Germany in 2002. They were still a novelty back then so it raised some eyebrows. My German cousin bought a European version of our Motorola the following year.

They sure saved us a lot of time and heartache last time and allowed us to wander and separate a bit.

We're probably taking them next month for our cruise to the Med.

Just use them quietly and sensibly - don't display them around officials if you're yacking in English.

Brilliant logic -- tell that to the fire department that your transmissions stomp all over; hopefully they're not trying to rescue someone at the time nearby...

Brilliant logic -- tell that to the fire department that your transmissions stomp all over; hopefully they're not trying to rescue someone at the time nearby...

My thoughts exactly. You know it may seriously, negatively impact others, but just be subtle.

Use of U.S. FRS radios s simply illegal in Europe. Technical they are also illegal on cruise ships in international waters without written permission from the ship's master but this is much less important and less dangerous. Using FRS transceivers in Europe could cause harmful interference with public services -- in addition to simply being illegal.

Do Americans use them in Europe? Certainly. No one ever accused the average American tourist of being particularly law abiding.

I found a set of walkie talkie radios that have both frs(us) and gmrs (europe) channels in them.... so I will be legal.... I certainly would not want to intefer with any emergency services or military actions....

I found a set of walkie talkie radios that have both frs(us) and gmrs (europe) channels in them.... so I will be legal.... I certainly would not want to intefer with any emergency services or military actions....

I applaud your concern not to interfere.

there are frequencies in Europe used for similar purposes as the U.S. GMRS service. However, they are different frequencies. Are you sure your radio has the European frequencies? The reason I ask is that radios designed for both FRS and GMRS are common, but they use the U.S. frequencies, not those of Europe's equivalent service.

I applaud your concern not to interfere.

there are frequencies in Europe used for similar purposes as the U.S. GMRS service. However, they are different frequencies. Are you sure your radio has the European frequencies? The reason I ask is that radios designed for both FRS and GMRS are common, but they use the U.S. frequencies, not those of Europe's equivalent service.

•8 PMR446 license free channels- European use

FRS and GMRS are both N.American frequency bands (GMRS technically requiring a license in the USA - but no one bothers). It is NOT the same thing at the European PMR446 standard

Archived