?

mi_in_sc

Was that a rhetorical question? ;)

I haven't seen anyone get angry.......

but, when subjects like dresscode in the dining room, smoking on the balcony, whether or not to have a passport, smuggling booze, etc. have aaallll been beat to death on these boards, then someone starts another thread about wearing shorts in the dining room....:rolleyes:

You have to wonder what their real motives are. Right?

No it wasn't rhetorical. I accidentally posted something after searching and not seeing it. The person responding may not have meant it that way, but it came off sounding angry to me. And I am not talking about those posts. I just ignore them. I don't know, I just can't let message boards upset me like that. I was just wondering if other people experienced that.

As in real life, there are many kinds of people. For the most part you will find us at CC to be helpful and either answer directly or include info that will help you find the answer you need. Ignore those you deem rude or unhelpful. :rolleyes:

Don't be afraid to ask a question. We're here to help :)

Some people have very narrow lives and make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. Try to remember the phrase, "Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

I like that

:);)

Why do people get so angry if you accidentally duplicate a thread they started? It is very difficult sometimes to find what you are looking for and it happens. Relax people!

mi,

Saw the post you are talking about. Not sure the guy/gal was angry, but they certainly could have worded their response a little better . . . . like just inviting you over to the thread they started without the "confusing" statement.

It happens on these boards . . . . frequently. I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree mi in sc. This is a general forum to ask questions and share info. And I'm surprised at the responses of 'this has been asked over and over....', 'why don't you do a search...., 'oh no, another thread on *****....'

It doesn't matter to the great majority of us what questions people ask - if you don't want to answer it or its a repeat question, then Don't Respond and Don't Visit that Thread. But then again, they can't appear to be so much more sophisticated and worldly than the poor OP who just asked a simple question. Especially when the OP is not quite as experienced, and has a life unlike those of us with 2000+ threads....oh well. (not a putdown to those posters with lots of post AND a life.....)

Those putdown threads are rude, so use the triangle at the top right side to signal the Hosts to review the post/thread and if is is inappropriate they will remove it and warn the poster. And that poster gets tagged and watched by the Hosts for repeat Rude posts.

So go ahead and ask away. In truth, there are few 'original' questions. And many of us love providing information, and if you ask too original of a quesiton, we might not be able to answer it!

We should all follow one of the many CC Guidelines - treat each other as if you are face to face, or as if you will meet shortly. Notice how nice everybody is on the Roll Calls.

Denny

Yeah, while there are some who think they know it all, there are others looking for answers.

Don't worry about the know-it-alls. It isn't as if they NEVER asked something that hadn't been asked before. No matter how perturbed they become, you have the right to post as many questions as you like; they can choose to either ignore the thread or post a "*****" response.:p

MIchelle, I saw those comments on the Century Roll call thread. He had started a roll call on April 16th and there were no further posts until today.

He (or she) wasn't angry, they were rude. No wonder nobody wanted to play with them ;).

Here is my response

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24807055&postcount=4

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

this is hilarious! I assumed the OP was talking about a rude post on this forum and someone hit her on not searching on some subject - and I even said how rude people can be on this general forum, 'Unlike on Roll Calls' and it turns out this occured on a Roll Call! Jokes on me.

Boy, that should be a 'fun' connections party unless certain rude posters take care of it now. I've made what I thought were OK posts that someone took as rude or inappropriate - and the approprate resonse is to appologize, and appologize in a way that doesn't somehow turn it back as the fault of the one who you were rude to. I've even asked the Hosts to remove my own post when I realized it was wrong/inappropriate.

We are not face-face and there is no tone of voice or facial ques on what is really meant. And the best way to fix things especailly when you didn't mean the tone that it was interpreted is to Appologize and do it quickly.

Another lessons learned...even the Roll Call posts can be rude. Just serves mi_in_sc right, you should have gone back 2 or 3 pages looking for a thread that had One post in it that was 2 months old - right.

Suggestion - use the triangle at the top right side to highlight to the Hosts the Roll Call thread you started and ask them to combine your two threads so there is only one.

I bet things will be smoothed over and enjoy the cruise. If not, there are 1945+ other people on the cruise.

Denny

Like the OP, I am a relatively new poster on CC. After joining the roll calls on my two upcoming RC cruises, I diligently searched for roll call threads for my two future X cruises. Not finding an existing thread for either -- I started threads for each of them. No problems so far, but if I had known of the OP's experience -- I might have thought twice about doing that! :eek:

And to the OP -- please don't be put off by this experience. The roll call threads are (generally) a great place to meet the people you will be cruising with. :cool:

Yeah, I did the same thing last cruise, not knowing it was a big deal to have 2 threads for the same cruise... in fact I didn't even look that closely. But the 2 threads were merged into 1, and all was well. This time I looked pretty closely, but must have overlooked it. I probably won't even go to the Meet and Mingle this time anyway. It was not what I expected last time. I was just hoping to maybe "meet" some other couples we might have something in common with. It's really not a huge deal, I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had this experience. Thanks for all of the responses. Since you all seem friendly though... have any of you been on the Century to Alaska? We were on the Infinity to Alaska last month and loved it so much, we wanted to do it again, with a slightly different itinerary. :)

Yeah, I did the same thing last cruise, not knowing it was a big deal to have 2 threads for the same cruise... in fact I didn't even look that closely. But the 2 threads were merged into 1, and all was well. This time I looked pretty closely, but must have overlooked it. I probably won't even go to the Meet and Mingle this time anyway. It was not what I expected last time. I was just hoping to maybe "meet" some other couples we might have something in common with. It's really not a huge deal, I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had this experience. Thanks for all of the responses. Since you all seem friendly though... have any of you been on the Century to Alaska? We were on the Infinity to Alaska last month and loved it so much, we wanted to do it again, with a slightly different itinerary. :)

Mi -- After your cruise, would you please come back and tell us about Century? We're sailing on her to Hawaii in the spring of 2012, and would love any info you can give us about the ship. :)

And, having sailed on at least one ship the size of Century -- trust me, you will have an opportunity to meet lots of couples that you have things in common with -- you are going to have a great cruise!!

Since I'm the cause of this thread........ I've already posted an apology on that thread.

I've been a cc member for years and don't think I've ever been accused of being rude. I was surprised another poster had started a new thread on the roll call boards. I started that one with two others on the B2B2B.

Surprised....but certainly not angry. Basically I wanted a combined thread rather then people being confused (there's that "rude' word again).

Again, my apologies for any perceived offense and certainly mi_in_sc should attend the Meet n Mingle. We've met some great friends there and hope the roll call will continue and be a source of great information as other roll calls have been.

I hope everyone will consider the matter closed and we can go on to more fun things-----like planning cruises.

Good on ya HLN500.

It takes a kind soul to apoligize for something they weren't sure they did.

Just knowing that someone was upset was enough for you..

I like to see that, and thought you should be commended for the act of kindness.

mi-in-sc.... I'm glad you took the time to post on this. Your feelings were valid and it helps for others to see how something may come across the wrong way.

Otherwise it would have all just ended in hurt feelings and a lack of attendence in your Meet and Mingle.

Now you can both enjoy your time and maybe share a laugh about the whole thing while sailing away... I mean really, is there a better place to enjoy someone's company then on a cruise ship?? I think NOT!!

Have a WONDERFUL time, enjoy yourselves and safe travels to you both.

:mad: HERE WE GO AGAIN! If you would take the time to use the search function, you will see that there are plenty of explanations as to why people get angry on duplicate posts.

:D:D:D

I agree with ya. It is good to get fresh opinions sometimes.

Very nice post HLN500. If we knew we are being rude there would be no problem, but that type of thing is in the eye of the beholder, not the originator.

As to the comments about searching the forum, I think the default on what is displayed for the general forum is 'Last Week' and for the Roll Calls, it is "Last Month". So any threads older than that don't show up. Yes, using Search goes beyond that, but searching for a Roll Call thread can be a bit trickly since you have to have the right date format the originator used.

Now, back to talking about cruising!!

Denny

HLN500 -- it takes a big man (or woman) to admit a mistake and try to make things right, so -- good for you! :D

And, as I'm finding out, starting a roll-call thread is a little trickier than it looks -- especially for a cruise that's over a year away. If there is not much activity on the thread, it can slip into the void very quickly! :eek:

I must say that sometimes it is difficult to find a roll call. I have found that roll calls that are started a good year out get buried. Also, sometimes the date format is such that the search does not provide good results. It is easy to have a couple of roll calls going. The moderators are great at combining the threads once it is brought to their attention.

Now to address why someone would begin a new thread about topics that have been discussed ad nauseum: to get fresh information; to get a response they agree with; to see if there have been changes in rules. :D

I must say that sometimes it is difficult to find a roll call. I have found that roll calls that are started a good year out get buried. Also, sometimes the date format is such that the search does not provide good results. It is easy to have a couple of roll calls going. The moderators are great at combining the threads once it is brought to their attention.

For those who would like a link regarding protocol for finding and/or starting a Celebrity Roll Call--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773244

Now to address why someone would begin a new thread about topics that have been discussed ad nauseum: to get fresh information; to get a response they agree with; to see if there have been changes in rules. :D

As they say on Family Feud, "Good answer! Good answer!" The nature of a forum such as Cruise Critic is that there is no formal organization of topics, and searching and finding information can be happenstance or produce outdated information. A search of information regarding price drops after final payment has been made is now going to produce a ton of inaccurate info. And some people are simply better at searching than others. I usually find a good many posts that come up with a keyword search that have little if anything to do with what I'm trying to find. Unless someone is willing to undertake the effort of cataloging, organizing and updating the information on every post to an Encyclopedia Cruisica, it's going to happen that topics are addressed and readdressed. If you have nothing to add or don't want to participate in that umteenth thread, please just keep quiet and let others have their fun.

Archived