Is it safe to cruise to Mexico?? I have one booked in September, should I change?

6 of us

Hello everyone. I have only been on 2 cruises, both to the Bahamas, so I still new to cruising - although I hope to become an expert :D. When I booked a 5 day to Mexico with 3 of my kids included, it didn't occur to me that right now Mexico is having major trouble with gang violence & theft of tourists. I have heard about that on our consumer reports radio station here in Georgia recently & it was even recommended by Clark Howard NOT to go. Then again, I heard from other people, that as long as you stay right where the cruise excursions go, you are pretty safe.

What is the real scoop from all you who know ? :).

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

There are no guarantee's of safety anywhere. I also live in GA. and spend as little time in Atlanta as possible. Most of Mexico's unrest is drug related on on the border. If you stay with your tour and if not touring, in the tourist areas, you should be safe. Using common sense will help you avoid problems in any country. Read the ports of call board for current info from cruisers like you who have been where you are going. Bill

I'm in Mexico 2 or 3 times a year and I feel very safe.

We're 2 50+ sisters and travel all over Cozumel and Progresso by ourselves always on independent excursions. We've never had any trouble and the only place we've ever been offerred drugs was in Montego Bay.

We took our kids on a 10 day cruise to Mexico in early April (over spring break) and we felt safe. I did cruise sponsored excursions. I don't think the cruise lines would stop at any port they felt was unsafe. We even went to Acapulco (which I was very worried about) and had a great time AGAIN on a cruise sponsored tour. Good Luck!

I have sailed to Baja and Mexican Riviera and felt completely safe. The areas that are unsafe if the border Mexico towns, off of California, Arizona and Texas. If the cruise lines feel there will be any type of danger for their passengers they will cancel the port on the cruise.

When there was high crime in St. Croix (U.S. Virgin Islands), the cruise lines pulled their ships and stopped making calls there until the police and officials addressed the problems. They have started adding St. Criox back to the itineraries. The island took such a horrible hit financially without the ships, it was the incentive they needed to clean the place up.

If the cruise companies feel passenger safety is compromised calling in Mexico, they will cancel stops there. They have very good statistical information by which to make that decision. They certainly know about any of their guests who become victim of crime during a port call.

They will not and cannot tolerate that.

Not going anywhere in Mexico because there is high crime in one area (the border, in this case) is about the same as not going to Portland, Maine because of the high crime rate in, for example, Washington DC.

Normal common sense precautions should apply, naturally.

IMO Belize, Jamaica and Barbados are more dangerous than any cruise port in Mexico. Yet people have no problem going there. We spend a week in Mazatlan every year and have never had a problem.

The Tourists that have problems in Mexico are the one who get plastered and behave badly.

Not going anywhere in Mexico because there is high crime in one area (the border, in this case) is about the same as not going to Portland, Maine because of the high crime rate in, for example, Washington DC.

Normal common sense precautions should apply, naturally.

Hey, I live on the border of DC. Yes, you do have to be cautious in some areas of DC.

Archived