Last day at sea my calfs and ankles swelled and became hard and painful

S.E.

I took my first cruise and we got back on the 13th. It was awesome! We had a blast. Only problem is the last full day at sea my lower legs and ankles swelled and my calfs became hard and painful. Each step I took hurt. The swelling has subsided a lot, but I am still having pain at night and if I move a lot in the day. My legs have never felt so weird.

Anyone else have this problem and how long does it last?

It's probably a combination of lots of food/salt, and lots of walking. Also, if you do any snorkelling/diving, and are not used to these activities, that could cause some soreness. Also, being overweight, having high blood pressure, sun exposure/dehydration, and smoking, etc. could contribute..

DVT can cause both legs to swell even if the clot is in only one leg: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/seniors/common-older/800.html

Plus, yes, there is such a thing as bilateral DVT. (both legs)

Also, from post #8 of the linked thread: "Mine swell because I have had DVT in both legs.. "

I think OP needs to see a doctor. We can't see OPs legs and I feel it could be harmful for us to speculate on a medical condition....

(DVT runs in my family: my grandmother and great grandmother both died from blood clots, and my aunt had one last year after knee surgery...)

I think OP needs to see a doctor. We can't see OPs legs and I feel it could be harmful for us to speculate on a medical condition....

Whilst one can never argue with such advice, cruise cankles is a relatively common phenomenon. No need to see zebras where there are horses.

Whilst one can never argue with such advice, cruise cankles is a relatively common phenomenon. No need to see zebras where there are horses.

I understand, but OP is still complaining about pain. My cankles have never hurt. OP also said his legs still feel "weird".

I swell up on every cruise.

I blamed it on alcohol...humidity, anything I could think of.

I just took an 8 day land vacation in Mexico.

Same alcohol

Same humidity

NO swelling.

I think the ships use way too much salt in the food, or MSG, or something because it isn't the heat, humidity or the booze.

I have a cruise booked for January and I requested low sodium diet. We'll see if that makes a difference.....

I understand, but OP is still complaining about pain. My cankles have never hurt. OP also said his legs still feel "weird".

although it's always best to see a Dr., I can tell you that if you swell enough, it IS painful.

BUT DVT is scary. My Dad died from it at age 53......it's best to seek medical attention.

Drink lots of water - there is sooooooo much added salt and MSG in the food. Also, alcohol can add to it. If you are still really concerned then I would definitely see a doctor but like one poster said "no need to see Zebras when there are just horses"

I swell up on every cruise.

I blamed it on alcohol...humidity, anything I could think of.

I just took an 8 day land vacation in Mexico.

Same alcohol

Same humidity

NO swelling.

I think the ships use way too much salt in the food, or MSG, or something because it isn't the heat, humidity or the booze.

I have a cruise booked for January and I requested low sodium diet. We'll see if that makes a difference.....

I've suffered from bad cruise cankles on 2 cruises. Both were solos with a large group of "professional" drinkers.

I blame the booze.

I took my first cruise and we got back on the 13th. It was awesome! We had a blast. Only problem is the last full day at sea my lower legs and ankles swelled and my calfs became hard and painful. Each step I took hurt. The swelling has subsided a lot, but I am still having pain at night and if I move a lot in the day. My legs have never felt so weird.

Anyone else have this problem and how long does it last?

Please keep us updated on how you are!

I've suffered from bad cruise cankles on 2 cruises. Both were solos with a large group of "professional" drinkers.

I blame the booze.

salty booze???? :p

For me it has to be the food....being with 'professional drinkers' doesn't ever affect my intake. I'm always moderate.

I don't like to get sick and I look really gross if I have too much to drink :p

salty booze???? :p

For me it has to be the food....being with 'professional drinkers' doesn't ever affect my intake. I'm always moderate.

I don't like to get sick and I look really gross if I have too much to drink :p

But I look better the more you drink. ;):D

Halos, how do I request a low sodium diet? DH has high blood pressure and MSG causes it to spike. We always request no MSG... but I suppose requesting low sodium would do.

Just curious on MSG-does waiter tell you what does not have MSG?

Just wondering as sensitive to it.

Archived