30 Day Rule to Transfer from PVP to TA-Is This True?

Happy0810

So I've read in another thread that there is a 30-day rule to be able to transfer a booking from a PVP to a TA (became effective sometime last year). Is this true?

Situation...I book with a Carnival PVP because I get great information and service from her. However, to redeem my credit cards cruise rewards the booking has to either be booked with or the booking be transferred to the credit card company's TA. When I have had to deal with the TA in the past, I've never received that great of service. Since I booked ES, I knew there was the possibility of getting price adjustments, and I figured it would be easier to get the adjustments with my PVP (it has been such an easy process with my PVP :)).

I always remind my PVP prior to making a deposit of my need to transfer the booking to the credit card TA before final payment. I was told by my PVP that this would NOT be a problem and just let her know when I need to transfer the booking. I do still have the email where she said this. A little info...cruise was booked in late March/early April 2010. Final payment is due in mid-July. I planned to transfer the booking in early July.

Now I'm worried that there will be an issue with the transfer. Any suggestions/help? I did read the Terms & Conditions and Ticket Contract and don't remember anything about a 30 day rule (but I could be missing it).

I'll email my PVP in the morning, but I wanted to see if any of you have any information.

My coworker booked directly thru Carnival then after many months we were talking and she told me she had booked a cruise, I said she should have booked with my (wonderful, awesome,terrific) TA. She called Carnival and was told about the '30 day rule', ~now what happened next I will admit, I dont know the Exact Details~ but my TA called Carnival and my Coworker was swiched to my TA.

(dont know how, or what TA said to Carnvial, but it was Well past the 30 day)

So you might call your TA, esp since you have worked with them before and just 'see what they can do for you'

Good luck!:)

Thanks for letting me know about your experience Kandy. I wonder if the final decision to go against the 30 day rule is left to the PVP...hmmmm. My PVP has said that transferring the booking to a TA doesn't affect her commission at all.

Any other knowledge/experiences about this?

PVPs dont work on commission, but they do get credit for the booking. Since they dont work on commission, no it doesnt affect their commission if you transfer the booking. I suspect it would take a supervisor to transfer the booking, but let us know.. I have one I wouldnt mind transferring too, and I let it go too long, now Im getting close to final payment.

My one understanding is that if you book "ES" rates transfering can be very expensive due to penalties....Otherwise I know you can transfer within 30 days no problem.

?? Why would there be penalties for transferring an ES booking? It's not a re-booking; it's a transfer. Wouldn't you still have the same booking # and details? I'm planning to do the same thing because of the same reason as the OP--to get the credit from my cc company.

?? Why would there be penalties for transferring an ES booking? It's not a re-booking; it's a transfer. Wouldn't you still have the same booking # and details? I'm planning to do the same thing because of the same reason as the OP--to get the credit from my cc company.

Mich, are you still within 30 days or out of that timeframe to transfer the booking to the TA?

I have no loyalty to the cc company's TA as they've changed over the years (both the employees and the TA), but I really like our PVP. However, I do get some great rewards ($800 off of the cruise) so it's worth it to transfer to the cc's TA. :)

I'll definitely come back and post to let you know what I find out.

Mich, are you still within 30 days or out of that timeframe to transfer the booking to the TA?

I have no loyalty to the cc company's TA as they've changed over the years (both the employees and the TA), but I really like our PVP. However, I do get some great rewards ($800 off of the cruise) so it's worth it to transfer to the cc's TA. :)

I'll definitely come back and post to let you know what I find out.

The 30 days is not an issue for the transfer; however, when I saw the ES posting, I became concerned since that's what we've booked with great results on our last few cruises. This will be our first experience transferring a booking to a TA though.

:confused: The rules for the ES are confusing to me at times. I thought that under an ES rate you can't get TA perks like discounts or OBC's. Can someone please explain this to me? :confused:

You have to choose one rate. No, you couldn't combine a TA rate that includes an OBC or discount with the ES rate. You can apply an OBC received from Carnival from something different (not an OBC included in a booking rate) to an ES booking.

You have to choose one rate. No, you couldn't combine a TA rate that includes an OBC or discount with the ES rate. You can apply an OBC received from Carnival from something different (not an OBC included in a booking rate) to an ES booking.

A TA can give you any rate or OBC they choose, they arent under any restrictions. Some rebate their commission on top of the Carnival listed ES rate. Its totally up to each TA how much they want to offer their clients. Many will book you into their ES groups, which usually include OBC and other perks.

Since I booked ES......

However, to redeem my credit cards cruise rewards the booking has to either be booked with or the booking be transferred to the credit card company's TA.

Isn't that what is going on here? Transfer to a specific TA to get $800 off? They booked an ES. :confused:

A TA can give you any rate or OBC they choose, they arent under any restrictions. Some rebate their commission on top of the Carnival listed ES rate. Its totally up to each TA how much they want to offer their clients. Many will book you into their ES groups, which usually include OBC and other perks.

I'd like to see an example of this. I have never seen anything better/more from a TA (other than a bottle of wine or other gift, or discounts because of programs, such as the cc program this thread was originally started for) than I have found online on my own. I have done plenty of research, and booked through several different TAs over the years.

Isn't that what is going on here? Transfer to a specific TA to get $800 off? They booked an ES. :confused:

The credit is from the cc TA. Different credit cards give different perks. I have one that I use to get $$s off our cruises. It is not combining two rates; it's redeeming your rewards.

I'd like to see an example of this. I have never seen anything better/more from a TA (other than a bottle of wine or other gift, or discounts because of programs, such as the cc program this thread was originally started for) than I have found online on my own. I have done plenty of research, and booked through several different TAs over the years.

You would need to actually call or ask for a quote, hundreds of TA do this all the time. Sadly, we arent allowed to mention TA names.Just checking online, really wont help since no TA is allowed to list a price lower than Carnivals advertised rates.

:confused: The rules for the ES are confusing to me at times. I thought that under an ES rate you can't get TA perks like discounts or OBC's. Can someone please explain this to me? :confused:

A TA can rebate part of their commission to you, but they cannot advertise to do same. A TA can give you goodies and even Gift Cards. ken

You would need to actually call or ask for a quote, hundreds of TA do this all the time. Sadly, we arent allowed to mention TA names.Just checking online, really wont help since no TA is allowed to list a price lower than Carnivals advertised rates.

I understand that. What I meant, is that I do research online before calling and booking through a TA. Guess I will have to start asking for more when I call...

I understand that. What I meant, is that I do research online before calling and booking through a TA. Guess I will have to start asking for more when I call...

All TA dont do this,so unless you are calling the more aggressive ones, you are out of luck. It wouldnt be something you have to ask for, it would just be the rate they quote you.

Either a TA discounts or they dont ...I dont think asking them if they say they dont would help ... but I guess cant help. The ones that do, will tell you upfront what their discount policy is, like 10% off the cruise portion etc.. but we have fees to process if there is a price drop. ...watch the fees.

We booked 5 cabins on the Freedom for 7/31 with our PVP. After that, we received info from Discover that we could get rebates on the cruise if we booked through them. We first called our PVP to make sure it wouldn't effect his commision. After he assured us he would still get the commision, we had the booking transferred. There was no problem at all. The travel agency handled it for us and we already received the rebates from Discover. We ended up saving close to $700. I'm not sure about any 30 day rule.

I tried to switch my Carnival cruise past the 30 day limit and got no where. I even went as far as emailing Carnivals complaint department asking them where it is written that I cant switch and got no where. I was told it is an unwritten rule that I should have asked or known about. Right. I lost out on $150 worth of OBC from my TA because of this rule. I learned my lesson. Carnival better WOW me because my next booking is back with Royal Caribbean and may never venture to Carnival again.

Archived