What To Pack

indiaksue

We are taking our first cruise to New England & Canada this fall. We have always gone to the Caribbean and I have packing down pat for the tropics, but for colder weather I am at a loss where to begin. Does someone have a packing list for this type of cruise. We will be cruising late Sept. to early Oct.

Thanks for your help.

We are taking our first cruise to New England & Canada this fall. We have always gone to the Caribbean and I have packing down pat for the tropics, but for colder weather I am at a loss where to begin. Does someone have a packing list for this type of cruise. We will be cruising late Sept. to early Oct.

Thanks for your help.

The standard saying about New England is "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute"

Temps can vary from 80 to 40 for the daytime high. Nights at sea are whatever temp the ocean is [high 50's, to mid 60's]

The general answer is layers of clothing. It could be nice and warm, or cool and raw, sometimes both in the same day. Even if the day is warm and wonderful, it will be cool on the ship at night.

That's kind of what I thought. Unfortunately we always end up packing our maximum 50 lbs for the airlines with swimsuits and shorts how are we ever going to get in heavier clothes. It will be a challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

Pack the heavier stuff in your carry on and bring your jacket on the airplane with you. I've been to Alaska 3 times and have done this. I use my jacket as a "pillow" for the airplane - you are allowed to carry on a jacket at no extra counting as "luggage"...

I think the down jacket would be perfect. I have always taken a down jacket when flying to cooler climates because you can really scrunch it up in your carry on. It's lightweight and yet just warm enough. If it gets too warm, you can take it off or tie it around your waist. I think it will work good for you - it always has for me. As I said above, I use my jacket as a pillow on the airplane. I have also used it over my legs for times it gets cold on the airplane. Has worked great.

I think the down jacket would be perfect. I have always taken a down jacket when flying to cooler climates because you can really scrunch it up in your carry on. It's lightweight and yet just warm enough. If it gets too warm, you can take it off or tie it around your waist. I think it will work good for you - it always has for me. As I said above, I use my jacket as a pillow on the airplane. I have also used it over my legs for times it gets cold on the airplane. Has worked great.

Hi Snoofer, thanks for letting me know about the down jacket, it sure helps when planning for things.

We went in 2008 (pictures below in my signature). We took jeans and t-shirts and our Columbia jackets. It rained one day. I don't think it ever got cold enough for the fleece liner for our coats.

We packed too many jeans though. We ended up finding out that we liked sending our jeans and kahki pants to the ship laundry service. They came back clean and so nicely pressed. So if I had it all to do over again, I would wear 1 pair, and probably pack 1 or 2 pair extra.

I took black sandals for wearing in the dining room each night. They were fine. The temperature on the ship was fine as usual.

Have fun planning!!

Archived