What foods to AVOID? (a different wrinkle)

erdoran

I totally agree with those who have mentioned the asian beef noodle dish on embarkation day. Eeeew.

Additionally, and this would be true no matter where I ate, not just on NCL, I totally avoid any cold soups that are not fruity. I LOVE the chilled fruit soups, but have tried the chilled 'others' (potatoes and leeks, etc.) and they are awful! Again, I want to say that isn't just on NCL, but in land-based restaurants as well. I know, there must be others who love them.

Hikini

A guess would say the food varies somewhat from ship to ship. Last week was our third time on the Dawn (and maybe last - too much has changed but that's another post...).

Foodwise, there were several items I wasn't jumping up and down about, but everyone's different (for instance, DW loves the Dawn's Italian dressing...).

But please, if you value the Tex-Mex culinary experience (whatever that is), and/or your entire GI system, do not order the nachos at Salsa's . The dish is the free chips and dip with shredded meat, guacamole, and sour cream tossed in. The chips appear to be a tasteless inexpensive bagged brand and the topping is like Cheez Whiz. No, really. I cant imagine how NCL thinks this item belongs in a pay restaurant.

"LOBSTER NIGHT"

avoid this at all costs. the worst thing we have ever had.

my poor boyfriend got the worst case of food poisoning from it and it ruined his whole vacation. i was about to march down to the lobby & complain when i came back to the room and my boyfriend was green & gray, but he stopped me and said they'd prob claim it was the Noro Virus and quarantine him.

so now i'm telling everyone i know to stay away from it!!

it's not even real lobster. its a rock lobster tail aka crayfish aka kreef

with a piece of grouper that looked like it was sitting out at the beach all day.

also the ribeye in Mama's was the worst steak our friend has ever had

the pizza is also horrible as well

i actually liked the scrambled eggs on the buffet. i thought the buffet was better than the MDR. we never went back to any of the MDR after the poisonous "lobster" night.

Additionally, and this would be true no matter where I ate, not just on NCL, I totally avoid any cold soups that are not fruity. I LOVE the chilled fruit soups, but have tried the chilled 'others' (potatoes and leeks, etc.) and they are awful! Again, I want to say that isn't just on NCL, but in land-based restaurants as well. I know, there must be others who love them.

The only thing I haven't finished on an NCL plate/bowl, was chilled macadamia nut soup with pineapple oil. I think it was on the Gem. The pineapple oil was not what I expected, and the soup was, well, nasty.

But honestly, I've enjoyed everything else I've ever eaten on NCL.

--Michael

"LOBSTER NIGHT"

avoid this at all costs. the worst thing we have ever had.

my poor boyfriend got the worst case of food poisoning from it and it ruined his whole vacation. i was about to march down to the lobby & complain when i came back to the room and my boyfriend was green & gray, but he stopped me and said they'd prob claim it was the Noro Virus and quarantine him.

so now i'm telling everyone i know to stay away from it!!

It probably WAS Noro. Food poisoning on a cruise is exceedingly rare. If you think it was food poisoning because the lobster was the last thing your boyfriend ate, you are mistaken... if that's the case, it was decidedly NOT food poisoning, because that takes about 30-36 hours to take effect.

Well I would have to start with the curried vegetables on the buffet...no they were wonderful. The eggs....do you want to die on the ship? The salt alone will kill you. How about Muesli some of the best I have had.

We like the food on NCL if you don't like it try another line.:eek:

The only thing I really regret is NCL does not offer the chocolate soufflé for desert now. It was super.:rolleyes:

That Museli stuff has been missing from the breakfast buffet on our past couple cruises. Can't say that I miss it. :rolleyes: However, the sticky buns, are my fav!

With blueberries...what's not to like. Oh I see, sticky buns trumps museli every time.

Gosh ... I have tried and tried to think of something that I felt was just horrible.. the only thing that comes to mind for me is one day in Cagneys for lunch I ordered the sliders. I took one bite and literally almost ..well.. lost my lunch.. no pun intended. Now I don't think you can go by me in this instance because I am very strange about beef. If it tastes too beefy, i can't eat it and these tasted VERY beefy. I know people that swear by them though. I am sure this posting sounds strange..LOL... but if there is anyone out there who doesn't like beef to taste too beefy.. they will understand.. That is why you will almost always see me having chicken or seafood. 8-)

And I thought you were a Texan:D

I thought the sliders were foul the first time I had them, but had them again last November, and thought they were better. I still wish the lunch menu in Cagney's wasn't fixed. I truly can't think of one thing I would advise people to avoid.

Al

Gosh ... I have tried and tried to think of something that I felt was just horrible.. the only thing that comes to mind for me is one day in Cagneys for lunch I ordered the sliders. I took one bite and literally almost ..well.. lost my lunch.. no pun intended. Now I don't think you can go by me in this instance because I am very strange about beef. If it tastes too beefy, i can't eat it and these tasted VERY beefy. I know people that swear by them though. I am sure this posting sounds strange..LOL... but if there is anyone out there who doesn't like beef to taste too beefy.. they will understand.. That is why you will almost always see me having chicken or seafood. 8-)

Terry, I know what you mean and agree! I actually looked into it and on the menu they mention (or they did) "wagyu" beef sliders. Actual wagyu beef comes from Japan and is very expensive. Not sure about Cagney's wagyu. There is definitely a distinctive taste to that beef (like you say a stronger beef taste) that you won't find in the regular burgers from the Blue Lagoon or outdoor BBQ.

I thought maybe the first experience was a "one-off" so tried them again on a different ship. Asked for extra smothered onions and they were better. Ended up leaving a lot of bread since there are the 3 mini buns.

As for the MDR menus, the only really weird thing is NCL's version of beef stroganoff. Too little beef, rather chewy and the infamous pickles on top. I know years ago there was a long discussion here about various versions of that dish and how everything from red beets to pickles can be used. That may be but there have been quite a few here that wouldn't choose it again.;):D

Actually much easier to talk about all the different foods in the various restaurants (and DR's) that we do like.:) I don't mind the small lobster tails if they're cooked properly. Have had many good little tails (which can order without the grouper).

A guess would say the food varies somewhat from ship to ship. Last week was our third time on the Dawn (and maybe last - too much has changed but that's another post...).

Foodwise, there were several items I wasn't jumping up and down about, but everyone's different (for instance, DW loves the Dawn's Italian dressing...).

But please, if you value the Tex-Mex culinary experience (whatever that is), and/or your entire GI system, do not order the nachos at Salsa's . The dish is the free chips and dip with shredded meat, guacamole, and sour cream tossed in. The chips appear to be a tasteless inexpensive bagged brand and the topping is like Cheez Whiz. No, really. I cant imagine how NCL thinks this item belongs in a pay restaurant.

I am shocked and amazed I could have forgotten NCL's Tex-Mex restaurant. I guess it is a memory I have tried to bury deep in my mind. The absolute only thing I have had there that was good was their guacamole. It was actually delicious. The rest was HORRIBLE. Trust me when I say, Tex-Mex it isn't.

I am DYING to hear what all has changed on the Dawn as, overall, we really enjoyed her last November. Have you posted or will you be posting a review where you will talk about some of the changes?

The only thing I can remember really disliking on my 14-night Jade cruise was the French Dip in the MDR for lunch. Terrible. I am slightly comforted that other people have agreed with this. Everything else I ate on the ship was good to VERY good. Except perhaps the Osso Bucco in the Italian restaurant. Wasn't very fond of that, but it was edible.

And just to put in my two cents on the whole egg business: the eggs at the buffet were just fine. I have no idea why so many people say "avoid the buffet at all costs." I loved the buffet on the Jade. The salad bar was the best I've ever seen... anywhere, ever.

I can only speak for myself about the buffet, but for me, the food is not the issue with NCL's buffets. I hate the way the buffet and seating in the buffet is arranged. With the exception of the Pearl, where I found the buffet to be excellent, food and seating. I hope the buffet is that way on the other ships that are in Pearls class.

And I thought you were a Texan:D

I thought the sliders were foul the first time I had them, but had them again last November, and thought they were better. I still wish the lunch menu in Cagney's wasn't fixed. I truly can't think of one thing I would advise people to avoid.

Al

LOL.. I am.. that is why I don't say that too loud when in Texas.. they will revoke my membership card.

Terry' date=' I know what you mean and agree! I actually looked into it and on the menu they mention (or they did) "wagyu" beef sliders. Actual wagyu beef comes from Japan and is very expensive. Not sure about Cagney's wagyu. There is definitely a distinctive taste to that beef (like you say a stronger beef taste) that you won't find in the regular burgers from the Blue Lagoon or outdoor BBQ.

I thought maybe the first experience was a "one-off" so tried them again on a different ship. Asked for extra smothered onions and they were better. Ended up leaving a lot of bread since there are the 3 mini buns.

As for the MDR menus, the only really weird thing is NCL's version of beef stroganoff. Too little beef, rather chewy and the infamous pickles on top. I know years ago there was a long discussion here about various versions of that dish and how everything from red beets to pickles can be used. That may be but there have been quite a few here that wouldn't choose it again.;):D

Actually much easier to talk about all the different foods in the various restaurants (and DR's) that we do like.:) I don't mind the small lobster tails if they're cooked properly. Have had many good little tails (which can order without the grouper).[/quote']

You know, there is an original Kobe steak house here in the Dallas area that is literally my favorite restaurant and I have had the pleasure of dining there for well over 20 years, probably close to 25 years, and one time I made the mistake of ordering their filet of beef and found exactly what you are saying to be true. BOY did it have a beefy taste that scrubbing my mouth with toothpaste and Lysterine barely could get rid of..LOL.

i am not a big dessert eater, but usually i just have to settle for ice cream or sherbet.

You guys should try the sugar free Panna Cotta if you ever see it offered on the menu. Two of the best desserts I have ever had in my life were on NCL ships and this was one of them. The other was a vanilla souffle with Baileys Irish Cream sauce. TO DIE FOR.

I don't remember the name of this menu item, but it was a vegetarian entree. It was a mashed potato cake served with a side of, you guessed it, mashed potatoes. The mashed potato cake was unseasoned and not yummy and I could not believe they would serve potatoes with a side of potatoes.

That Museli stuff has been missing from the breakfast buffet on our past couple cruises. Can't say that I miss it. :rolleyes: However, the sticky buns, are my fav!

I really love the museli, although I can't say why. It doesn't seem like it should be that exciting, but I find it addictive. I'm sad to hear it's gone.

The only thing that I have had on NCL that I personally thought was REALLY awful was Lamb Kebab. I don't know if they still have it on the menu. The odd thing is that every other lamb dish I have had on NCL has been great.

Zeno, I was about to say the same thing: they are gross, but thank God they no longer appear. The only other thing I can think of might be the scrambled eggs in the buffet and on our last cruise the roast pork loin, MDR was really dry, but that could have just been an exception...

Nita

can't believe I'll be the first one to mention this one....the artichoke dip in Blue Lagoon - ugh. Tasteless and soupy. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I loved everything in the last 5 cruises.

Glad to hear that the buffet on The Pearl is a good one. Hubby loves the buffet and even though I prefer the MDR, it is nice to get in and out quick sometimes.

deb

The steak at Cagney's. If you're from Texas they just can't get it right. We stick to the Prime Rib. Delicious.

wow, we are all Texans or have lived there for many years and love Cagney's. I guess, like so much else food is subjective. Now, when it comes to the Tex-Mex, I agree with others, I had forgotten how bad it is..The ribs are good, but when did ribs become a Tex-Mex meal?

Nita

can't believe I'll be the first one to mention this one....the artichoke dip in Blue Lagoon - ugh. Tasteless and soupy. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I loved everything in the last 5 cruises.

Glad to hear that the buffet on The Pearl is a good one. Hubby loves the buffet and even though I prefer the MDR, it is nice to get in and out quick sometimes.

deb

Haven't had it, but heard the very same thing, it is awful. Yes, the buffet on the Pearl is layed out well and as good as buffets generally are. I am not a huge buffet person, but the Pearl does it right.

Nita

Archived