What foods to AVOID? (a different wrinkle)

erdoran

Lots of talk about yummy stuff--how about foods you've tried that weren't very good? or is there such a thing on NCL? I don't mean "I don't like fish", but rather stuff like "avoid xxx, it's really greasy and doesn't taste very good" or "xxx sounds great but it was tough and overspiced"--that type of thing!

Lots of talk about yummy stuff--how about foods you've tried that weren't very good? or is there such a thing on NCL? I don't mean "I don't like fish", but rather stuff like "avoid xxx, it's really greasy and doesn't taste very good" or "xxx sounds great but it was tough and overspiced"--that type of thing!

Well, if you want fish dishes to avoid, I'd stay away from the lutefisk, ocra, chocolate chip pizza. The bacon-wrapped gefilte fish isn't much better.

InThe

Scrambled eggs on the buffet...well, OK, avoid the buffet.

There is an Asian Beef Noodle thing on a lunch menu. It is incredibly vile.

Be prepared for broiled fish to be over-cooked.

NCLs italian salad dressing is very different from what I'm used to.

End of list.

I avoid scrambled eggs at all buffets, not just NCL.

The lobster.

Most desserts. I don't like most NCL desserts, especially the cakes. There was a cookie I liked, and some sort of butterscotch dessert. Most of the time I just get ice cream.

How is NCL's Italian dressing different from the norm? Is it spiced differently or is it more of a house thing? I'm curious because I normally would order Italian dressing but I'm not sure now :)

How is NCL's Italian dressing different from the norm? Is it spiced differently or is it more of a house thing? I'm curious because I normally would order Italian dressing but I'm not sure now :)

Well, it's red, for starters. There is something in it that I'm not a fan of. I don't know what it is. I just avoid it now.

I agree that the embarkation lunch asian noodle thing is disgusting! The description sounds so tasty on the menu that once three out of four at our table ordered it. My hubby and I ate the beef, but thought that the noodles were gross...my friend ate the noodles but thought that the beef was inedible. Now we just order the ribs. The noodle thing is the only menu item that makes me go yuck!

Gosh ... I have tried and tried to think of something that I felt was just horrible.. the only thing that comes to mind for me is one day in Cagneys for lunch I ordered the sliders. I took one bite and literally almost ..well.. lost my lunch.. no pun intended. Now I don't think you can go by me in this instance because I am very strange about beef. If it tastes too beefy, i can't eat it and these tasted VERY beefy. I know people that swear by them though. I am sure this posting sounds strange..LOL... but if there is anyone out there who doesn't like beef to taste too beefy.. they will understand.. That is why you will almost always see me having chicken or seafood. 8-)

The only thing that I have had on NCL that I personally thought was REALLY awful was Lamb Kebab. I don't know if they still have it on the menu. The odd thing is that every other lamb dish I have had on NCL has been great.

The French Dip on the lunch menu from Cagney's was dried out and tough. Even the bun tasted old. And that was embarkation day.

Someone else commented they felt the same way - different ship, same item.

The one time I ordered the French Dip, there was more gristle and fat than meet. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case every time, but I've never ordered that sandwich again.

I'm not fond of NCL's bacon...not horrible but not good...and find the biscuits they serve at the buffet to be little hockey pucks.

That's about it though. In general I find NCL's food to range from good to excellent in quality.

The only thing I can remember really disliking on my 14-night Jade cruise was the French Dip in the MDR for lunch. Terrible. I am slightly comforted that other people have agreed with this. Everything else I ate on the ship was good to VERY good. Except perhaps the Osso Bucco in the Italian restaurant. Wasn't very fond of that, but it was edible.

And just to put in my two cents on the whole egg business: the eggs at the buffet were just fine. I have no idea why so many people say "avoid the buffet at all costs." I loved the buffet on the Jade. The salad bar was the best I've ever seen... anywhere, ever.

The only thing I can remember really disliking on my 14-night Jade cruise was the French Dip in the MDR for lunch. Terrible. I am slightly comforted that other people have agreed with this. Everything else I ate on the ship was good to VERY good. Except perhaps the Osso Bucco in the Italian restaurant. Wasn't very fond of that, but it was edible.

And just to put in my two cents on the whole egg business: the eggs at the buffet were just fine. I have no idea why so many people say "avoid the buffet at all costs." I loved the buffet on the Jade. The salad bar was the best I've ever seen... anywhere, ever.

I guess that I meant "avoid all buffets, all the time". We don't only avoid the buffet on NCL.

Gosh ... I have tried and tried to think of something that I felt was just horrible.. the only thing that comes to mind for me is one day in Cagneys for lunch I ordered the sliders. I took one bite and literally almost ..well.. lost my lunch.. no pun intended. Now I don't think you can go by me in this instance because I am very strange about beef. If it tastes too beefy, i can't eat it and these tasted VERY beefy. I know people that swear by them though. I am sure this posting sounds strange..LOL... but if there is anyone out there who doesn't like beef to taste too beefy.. they will understand.. That is why you will almost always see me having chicken or seafood. 8-)

I too hate beefy beef. LOL

I love sushi though, and thought the sushi on the Star was terrible! The premade stuff at Costco is better than that nastiness.

Archived