Kids and Seapass cards

I was searching around trying to find out if its possible to limit the amount per day or total limit on a child's seapass card. I am pretty sure that from what I discovered, its not really feasible for the line to do that. It was more of a curiosity thing than a real question. I mean, the kids and the parents had a sit-down discussion already about using and NOT using the seapass card, and what was permissible, so I'm not really worried.

But in reading though the threads under my search, I was -stunned- at the vehemence people expressed about "If you can't control your kids, don't expect RCCL to do it!" Outright animosity over the questions. I actually felt sorry for one woman in particular.

Regardless, I was curious what other people do. Have you ever had a child go nuts with his card? Ever had success in getting a card set to a daily limit or a total fixed limit? Just put cash on their card and tell them when its gone, its gone?

We talked with our kids ahead of time and gave them daily dollar limits. We told them that if they went over, there would be consequences. It forced them to keep track of their own expenses and to manage their money. We checked their accounts every night to see how they did. They did very well as they never came close to the limit and we never had an issue. I don't know how old your kids are but this started when my daughter was nine.

If the kids are unable (for whatever reason) to do it this way, just put cash on their accounts and do it that way.

I have not had this problem with kids but in hindsight, I should have done that with my ex. LOL Yes you can set a spending limit on thier sea pass. You can put a set amount down and they will be capped at that.

We were on FOS a couple of weeks ago and we did cap our kids cards. Very easy - just go to guest services and fill out a form. We capped them both at $50 (and they spent at least $40 in the dang arcade but hey it ws their vacation too). We were also able to check their charges each night and we did. Our kids are 9 and 13.

I think it's totally acceptable and wise to cap their cards. It's so easy for us as adults to underestimate how much we put on those things. It turned into a great lesson for them - they were surprised how much they had spent in the arcade. And our youngest got a kick out of offering to "pay" for our ice cream at Ben and Jerry's! Too cute!

Michelle

We were on FOS a couple of weeks ago and we did cap our kids cards. Very easy - just go to guest services and fill out a form. We capped them both at $50 (and they spent at least $40 in the dang arcade but hey it ws their vacation too). We were also able to check their charges each night and we did. Our kids are 9 and 13.

hrm. Maybe I should have read more. I think I'll do that just to be safe.

The thing is, I have three kids. I am virtually certain that if I gave them each $100, the 9 year old would end up with 0.00. The 12 year old would have about $25.00 and the oldest (15) would want to know if he could just keep the $100 for use later.

And after going back and re-reading the thread I got stuck on, I realized that OP wanted a -daily- limit, not a total limit. Hence my confusion.

We have never put a specific dollar limit on our son's spending, we just discuss what he can and can't do. We buy him a soda card and then allow him to charge one frozen virgin drink and ben and jerry's ice cream a day. We ask that if he wants to charge anything else, he discusses it with us in advance. He is also aware that if he overspends, he is expected to reimburse us.

This has worked well for us. He usually only gets a few frozen drinks a week and one ice cream since the free frozen yogurt machine is very convenient. He only goes to the arcade when it is free, which has usually been the first night from 11pm to midnight for the older teens. Other than that, he says the games are "lame".;)

You know your kids, do what you think works best for them.:)

My DD will be 11 in Nov. We have never given her charge privileges and most likely wont when we cruise next June. Most of the time she is either in AO or with us, so if she wants/needs something we can get it for her. As she gets older and we allow her to "roam freely" we will probably give her a weekly limit. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Archived