International Cafe?

Rhitson88

Ok, not to familiar with this as it is apparently on my upcoming August 29th cruise aboard the Emerald Princess. Whats the deal with this? Is it free or you have to pay? Just wondering what the big deal is?

Ok, not to familiar with this as it is apparently on my upcoming August 29th cruise aboard the Emerald Princess. Whats the deal with this? Is it free or you have to pay? Just wondering what the big deal is?

There are some items that are free....best kept secret on the ship....although think the secret it out.

The chicken salad on a croissant is to die for...no charge. Also, little plates of marinated mushrooms and such....oh, and not even a cookie person but fell in love with the oatmeal raisin. No charge for any of this type of stuff. Nice little cafe tables to sit at and you can purchase a glass of wine at nearby Vines and if you are lucky, catch an act in the Piazza.....all from that one little area.

I remember going on one of our cruises and upon embarkation, I passed this place and saw these big cookies on top of the counter. So I asked for 3 peanut butter cookies and asked the price. The guy behind the counter with a big white chefs hat on laughed and said "they're free". The place looked like a really, really, nice bakery you would see at home so I then asked him, "what about this and what about that?". "All free" he said. It was like I died and went to heaven. Everything was so beautiful and delicious too. Since it was located right in the piazza section of the ship, it became our new favorite place because we get our goodies and then sit and watch the entertainment or just people watch in nice comfortable chairs. Youre gonna love it! As everyone else is telling you - you pay for the coffee/tea and gelato but no biggie.

The chicken salad is definitely good. I liked the IC better before they changed it. On the Emerald, (2008) the Tapas were served there. They were quite good. On the Ruby (2009) after they were moved to Vines, the selection seemed to noticeably decline and they didn't seem as good (IMHO).

Bob

The IC also hosts an expresso/ coffee bar. The prices are even a bit less expensive than land businesses. For example a small latte at the IC is $2 or $2.50. It is the same size as a Sbux "grande" with is 3.45 in my neck of the woods... You can make it even cheaper if you get a 15 punch coffee card for $27.00.:)

I think we should all take a vow never to answer a question about the IC. What happens if everybody finds out about it? You can actually see people pass by without stopping to pick up some of those wonderful goodies.

There are some items that are free....best kept secret on the ship....although think the secret it out.

The chicken salad on a croissant is to die for...no charge. Also, little plates of marinated mushrooms and such....oh, and not even a cookie person but fell in love with the oatmeal raisin. No charge for any of this type of stuff. Nice little cafe tables to sit at and you can purchase a glass of wine at nearby Vines and if you are lucky, catch an act in the Piazza.....all from that one little area.

No more marinated mushroomsl They now have grilled/marinated veggies which are just as good, if not better than just mushrooms. Also, not swimming in so much oil.

I think we should all take a vow never to answer a question about the IC. What happens if everybody finds out about it? You can actually see people pass by without stopping to pick up some of those wonderful goodies.

I always wonder what's wrong with those people, who can pass by without stopping! I never can . . . I think I ate my weight of chicken salad, shrimp salad, the cookies . . . sigh. Best innovation/feature on a cruise ship ever.

And don't forget the quiche! I think I had quiche and chicken salad for lunch every day!

Along with the gelato, I believe the chocolate covered strawberries were a buck each and wasn't there a fondue pot with goodies for approx. $5?

Along with the gelato, I believe the chocolate covered strawberries were a buck each and wasn't there a fondue pot with goodies for approx. $5?

Except for the gelato, the foods that had a cost to them are no longer available at the IC and have not been since last summer.

I so agree about it being a secret. Day one of our 14 day cruise...hardly anyone but us. Day 13, lines so long you had to really want something to stand in line. Sandwiches to die for, and the best desserts on the entire ship. (and if not for CC, I probably wouldn't have stopped by as soon as we got on the ship!)

The IC became our favorite spot on the Crown! We stopped by every morning for coffee and light breakfast. On the third day of the cruise we found the fruit/yogurt parfaits! Yummy!

Every afternoon it was to the IC for our coffee and snack. I am also a fan of the chicken salad and ate many lunches here as well.

All in all, a great addition to the ship!

My DH & I started our day off for a light breakfast. Mid afternoon we would have our "ice coffee" and a snack. Then we end our evening with decaf coffee and maybe a cookie or two....:D

best entertainment too; on the Crown they sang for us, did trivia and etc. I miss the IC:(

Archived