Will the EPIC be able to pass under the Verrazano Bridge in NY?

needalatte74

I didn't even need to search.... they booked their brand new 1.2 Billion ship to visit New York, without generating any revenue.... don't ya think they checked???? :p

Umm....captain.... uh...not sure how to say this....but you remember deck 19?

Usually I am not snarky but I can't resist--

DUH! I'm sure in doing her design they calculated how big was too big to fit under the bridge, and then they added a margin for error, and another margin for high tide....

Usually I am not snarky but I can't resist--

DUH! I'm sure in doing her design they calculated how big was too big to fit under the bridge, and then they added a margin for error, and another margin for high tide....

Of course Holland America was sure the Veendam could make it through Town Cut in Bermuda so it could dock in St. George's. Then a couple of weeks before the start of this year's cruise season they decided to double check their calculations, and....oops! :eek:

By the way, the Norwegian Dream actually had a hinged funnel that allowed it to be lowered so the ship could fit under the bridges crossing the Kiel Canal.

OASIS OF THE SEAS also has a retracting funnel so she can fit under the Verrazano Bridge.

Of course as mentioned, mistakes do happen. There is the VEENDAM with Bermuda as already mentioned, and CARNIVAL DREAM in San Juan. Carnival did not do their homework and when CARNIVAL DREAM arrived in San Juan she could not dock. The design of her lifeboats interfered with the design of the pier. She basically had to turn around and leave. Luckily in San Juan there are other piers that can accommodate her for future visits.

Ernie

thanks njhorseman! I'm not tuned in enough to cruising in general to have been aware of that. I'm a techie and would be extraordinarily cautious for that type of thing so I make the assumption others would be as well.

Archived