Do you miss your kids?

It's soooo hard for me to enjoy my time away from my girls! I'll see something that they'd love to do and think of them. I do have many moments of fun. But, even on my honeymoon, I missed them.

That being said, I like to take a couple of vacations a year. So, we take all four girls. It get's pretty expensive. The plan is to take one as a group and one as a couple. But, I always chicken out!

I'm afraid that I'll get bored with just my husband (shhhhh) for 5 nights.

Am I the only one?

It's soooo hard for me to enjoy my time away from my girls! I'll see something that they'd love to do and think of them. I do have many moments of fun. But, even on my honeymoon, I missed them.

That being said, I like to take a couple of vacations a year. So, we take all four girls. It get's pretty expensive. The plan is to take one as a group and one as a couple. But, I always chicken out!

Am I the only one?

I took my first cruise without husband (now ex) and kid in March...had a blast!

Darlin', if you're getting bored with your husband in just 5 nights, we need to talk. ;)

I think it's natural to miss your kids and think/talk about them. Heck, our 4 boys are all in the 20's, and we still talked about them on our last vacation! :)

I don't have kids myself but we cruise with friends who have them. We took a 12 night cruise with them two years ago, and though they enjoyed it as well as their kids, there were times..... Next year they are going on a cruise with us without their kids (I think they are doing one in a few months solo too). They seem to have a freedom to them about planning for this one as they know they will not have to worry about them and can stay up later with us.

I think the alternating back and forth is a really good idea. It will also make your kids appreciate going on the cruise with you, as they will always know (and believe) you will cruise without them (if they don't behave during the year).:)

My first cruise for my 10th wedding anniversary. A relative drove in from NC to watch the 4 kids and I knew they were well taken care of. It was a 5 night cruise and I have to admit that I was so busy I didn't miss them. For me, cruising is the only time that I'm really off. The rest of the time someone, somewhere needs or wants something....

My last cruise was with the baby...my 16 year old son and we had a blast. In fact, the two of us are going again in October.

I think the alternating back and forth is a really good idea. It will also make your kids appreciate going on the cruise with you, as they will always know (and believe) you will cruise without them (if they don't behave during the year).:)

I can see how that could work to my benefit....:p

I have two kids 3 and 1, and of course I miss them! We took a cruise when my daughter was 10 months old for a friends wedding, and left her with grandma. We did miss her, and worried about her, but we also had a great time on the cruise. We are doing it again in October and leaving out kids with grandma again

My husband and I took a cruise before we had children by ourselves, and although we enjoyed it, we did find ourselves getting bored. It was a whole lot of " what do you want to do?" " I don't know, what do you want to do?" :) Our last cruise and the one coming up, we have taken with friends.

I am a stay at home mom, and my husband and I feel that we just really need this time together. And the fact that we have friends going with us ( leaving their kids at home too), makes it perfect. We can do stuff as a group, couple, or just girls/guys, etc... We also do a family vacation every year as well.

I love my kids dearly but I also enjoy my time away from them. I have been married for coming up on 30 years and I still don't get bored with my husband - maybe something is wrong with me. Someone want to psychoanalize me - something is dreadfully wrong with me.

Am I the only one?

We take one weeklong + vacation with the kids (besides dance nationals for DD) and DH and I try to take at least a long weekend upto 5 days for the 2 of us. For the family vacation we involve the kids in deciding where we are going. They usually want to cruise. DH and I love going out west (we went there on our honeymoon 20+ years ago) so we usually head that way on our own. I do miss them and try to call them at least once a day...but the alone time with DH is must at least once a year.:D

I've always enjoyed alone time on vacation with my husband.

I found (back when the kids were little) that that anticipation of leaving them was actually worse than how I felt once we had left. Once I was (or am) out the door, the anxiety goes away and I don't miss ANYBODY.

(OK, sometimes I do miss my dog... ;))

Now that my girls are grown, I am happy we made time for each other all along...because if we never did, and suddenly here I was alone with him, I might not know how to handle it. :D

I love my kids dearly but I also enjoy my time away from them. I have been married for coming up on 30 years and I still don't get bored with my husband - maybe something is wrong with me. Someone want to psychoanalize me - something is dreadfully wrong with me.

I think your normal.

although coming from me, that doesn't mean much :D

(I'll be married 28 years this Sept.)

Am I the only one?

I've cruised & taken land vacas with my children and without them. It's a different kind of fun when it's just the two of us! Besides the obvious, we can stay up later, sleep later, have a bit more to drink and just relax with out the children wanting to be entertained every second. My kids don't enjoy sitting on a deck chair reading a book and drinking margaritas for hours like I do!

I leave extra money for whoever is babysitting to take them on extra fun outings and they are fine with that. They know that we alternate going places as a couple and as a family. That's just the way it has to be to keep our sanity,

We've taken a number of cruises and land vacations without the kids. We were married in 1993, had our first kid in 1996, and until 2009 all family vacations were closer to home and less expensive affairs that we all thoroughly enjoyed. Then we took the kiddos on their first real vacation and they fell in love with travel.

So our plan now is to take one couples vacation each year and one family vacation each year. The couples vacation has become the less expensive oen - the last couple of years it has been Vegas.

So, we've been on a number of nice vacations without the kids and while we certainly missed them a little, I can honestly say that we never got bored. We do different things when the kids aren't with us, usually things that the kids can't do or won't like. We look at it as relationship-building time. It's important to work on your relationship - just as important as being a good mom or dad.

When we are on vacation and start to miss them, we talk about them a little bit, but then make a decision to put it aside and find other things to enjoy and talk about.

I am a divorced mother of a four year old, and while I am not single, Dan and I are 1400 miles apart, so it is me and my son almost all the time. Dan offered for my son to come on the cruise with us, but I just thought no, it's going to be a nice, romantic and hopefully *sparkly* memorable first vacation for him and me, especially because until he moves here we get very little time together, so while I think I will miss my son (who wouldn't miss that cute face!), it will be good for him to spend that week with his dad, and it will be wonderful for Dan and I to get away and enjoy our time together. My sister and brother-in-law and a couple that they are friends with are probably coming with us, but all in our own cabins and we will kind of do our own thing a lot of the time.

I know I will miss my son when we are doing things that I KNOW he would think are "super cool, mom!" He would love to swim at the beach, or see exotic animals, or play at Camp Carnival, but I figure there is time for that in the future.

OP:

Keep taking the kids until they no longer wish to cruise with you (friends, sports, etc.).They grow old sooooo fast .:)

The extra $$ is worth it even if it limits your cruises for now.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a cruise for 2 right now is not for you (yet) . Bored with husband, missing kids.

A recipe for failure.:eek:

Am I the only one?

We took a 5 day cruise without DD (1 at the time). We missed her so much!

She broke into tears when she saw us. We never left her home again. She will be platinum on her next cruise.

It's actually GOOD for both parents AND kids to separate sometimes.....I mean, the whole point of raising kids is to make them independant so they can "leave the nest", and taking a short break from each other allows them to do that! You get to reconnect with your hubby (you are more than a "mom", you know!) and the kids get to see that if you're not there, life still goes on!

It's a HEALTHY thing to get away from the kids. The parents are actually more important than the kids....without happy, healthy (emotionally and otherwise) parents, the kids have squat!

You feel this way because you are having fun and you wish your children were experiencing this with you. I say, do what comes natural. If you want to take your children, take them. Go on one cruise a year, and pay for late night babysitting *for alone fun* with the extra money you save from not going on the second cruise.

My DH & I took a 7 seven day cruise in April and didn't tell anyone but my DS (had too he lives with us 22y/o) Forward all the cellphone calls to the house. DS did get to text us for free. Sort of funny when we didn't answer him right away. Taste of his own medicine.

DH has 7 older kids up north. They still don't know. Will do it again in Jan. 2011. It is nice to go away and have peace and quiet.

Archived