Just back from Grand Med cruise - May 29- June 10

financialgrl

Just back from the Grand Med (Barcelona-Venice). I (55 y/o female) traveled with my 20 y/o niece shortly after her return home from college. We stayed in Barcelona 3 days precruise, 2 days extra in Venice afterwards and then we stopped in London for 3 days on the way home.

Stayed in Jazz Hotel - a great choice. It is very modern and closeby the Rambla, near Starbucks (apparently a must for the college aged!) and Metro. We arrived at hotel mid afternoon and walked the Rambla. I bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus and we rode it the first day, just taking the city in never getting off because we were so exhausted from the flights/jet lag. The next few days we visited Segrada Familia, Montserrat, and Park Guell, Miramar, etc.. Embarkation at the port was the easiest, smoothest I have ever encountered. You just check in, take the escalator up and walk directly onto the ship. Couldn't be easier (I do not have priority boarding or Elite status) and surprised how fast it went. Checked luggage arrived to our room very quickly. Loved the Ruby and her crew.

I used Princess Shore Excursions for all ports except Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Mykonos and Venice which we wandered on our own. The weather was great the whole trip - never so hot we couldn't stand it. Also didn't notice huge crowds in many of the ports until we hit Athens and the Acropolis. We were told there were 4 other ships in Athens and found this the only place it was hot and crowded. I had the following Shore Excursions booked: Best of Florence/Pisa; Best of Rome; Pompeii/Amalfi cruise up the coast; Topkapi Palace/Hagia Sophia/Cruise on the Bosphorus; Ephesus and Acropolis tour and 2 1/2 hours On your Own. Really enjoyed all tours but if I had it to do all again, I'd have probably skipped the Best of Florence and only done Pisa only because we were there on a Monday and much of the tour has to be substitutions due to much closed on Monday (this is not a surprise, it is stated on the description) . I also loved the "cruise" portions on the Pompeii and Istanbul port stops. It was cool on the water and made a great diversion from being on buses and walking which is the large part of all the tours. I really loved Mykonos and was stunned by the beauty of it. The white washed buildings, the windmills and the many colors of the water were absolutely drop dead gorgeous making a Greek Isles cruise a "must" in the future.

I absolutely loved this cruise but want to offer two observations: 1) I am glad I chose to do this cruise at this point in my life - still young enough to handle it. It is extremely port intensive and there are only 2 sea days. Read any tour descriptions and figure out any of your limitations honestly and go from there when booking tours (ship or otherwise). Many places the buses can't get thru narrow areas so lots of walking (some uphill) and almost always on uneven surfaces. On the Rome tour we had two couples (older) that could not continue midway thru the tour. Same thing happened at the Acropolis but there it was mostly because it was hot, the marble is slick and very crowded.

Second observation is Venice. We loved it here but again it has limitations for anyone with mobility issues. Lots of walking, lots and lots of steps. I used a Princess transfer so we could have transportation back to St Mark's Square when the cruise was over and our hotel (Colombina) was located there. The transfer included luggage delivery to our hotel which was a godsend. (It offers that for a handful of hotels in both St Mark's Square and the train station). I had all our large luggage delivered via the transfer and we kept a small carry on piece with our electronics we didn't want to relinquish and even then it's not fun hauling luggage up and over all the steps/bridges here.

I loved this trip despite all the obstacles encountered (we flew from Washington DC to Heathrow so we were on constant volcano watch as it got close but we did get to fly that leg with no problem) and then the British Airways strike cancelled two of our flights which had to be rescheduled. Little bumps in the road which caused me a little panic but it was all worth it and I'd gladly do it all again. I will say though that, as always, it's good to be back home again though too!

I agree, a Med cruise can be exhausting. We are fairly fit for our ages (more than 55 :rolleyes:) but read in depth about the expectations of our ports before making decisions. The Acropolis is simply not a possibility for anyone with mobility impairments. What always amazed me was the women walking around in high heels or flip-flops. I needed my best sneakers to give me stablity on the uneven, slippery surfaces.

You were very smart to choose a hotel with luggage transfers available in Venice. We stayed in that wonderful city pre-cruise and had to hassle with hauling cruise luggage over several bridges (with the help of hotel staff :)). The day before embarkation, we took half of our luggage to a baggage storage area in Piazalle Roma so that we didn't have to haul it all at once that morning. Just wish we had left it there in the first place.

I envy all of your time in Barcelona. We were only there one day and just had time to get to Sagrada Familia and wander Las Ramblas. I can't wait to go back some day.

Just back from the Grand Med (Barcelona-Venice). I (55 y/o female) traveled with my 20 y/o niece shortly after her return home from college. We stayed in Barcelona 3 days precruise, 2 days extra in Venice afterwards and then we stopped in London for 3 days on the way home.

Stayed in Jazz Hotel - a great choice. It is very modern and closeby the Rambla, near Starbucks (apparently a must for the college aged!) and Metro. We arrived at hotel mid afternoon and walked the Rambla. I bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus and we rode it the first day, just taking the city in never getting off because we were so exhausted from the flights/jet lag. The next few days we visited Segrada Familia, Montserrat, and Park Guell, Miramar, etc.. Embarkation at the port was the easiest, smoothest I have ever encountered. You just check in, take the escalator up and walk directly onto the ship. Couldn't be easier (I do not have priority boarding or Elite status) and surprised how fast it went. Checked luggage arrived to our room very quickly. Loved the Ruby and her crew.

I used Princess Shore Excursions for all ports except Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Mykonos and Venice which we wandered on our own. The weather was great the whole trip - never so hot we couldn't stand it. Also didn't notice huge crowds in many of the ports until we hit Athens and the Acropolis. We were told there were 4 other ships in Athens and found this the only place it was hot and crowded. I had the following Shore Excursions booked: Best of Florence/Pisa; Best of Rome; Pompeii/Amalfi cruise up the coast; Topkapi Palace/Hagia Sophia/Cruise on the Bosphorus; Ephesus and Acropolis tour and 2 1/2 hours On your Own. Really enjoyed all tours but if I had it to do all again, I'd have probably skipped the Best of Florence and only done Pisa only because we were there on a Monday and much of the tour has to be substitutions due to much closed on Monday (this is not a surprise, it is stated on the description) . I also loved the "cruise" portions on the Pompeii and Istanbul port stops. It was cool on the water and made a great diversion from being on buses and walking which is the large part of all the tours. I really loved Mykonos and was stunned by the beauty of it. The white washed buildings, the windmills and the many colors of the water were absolutely drop dead gorgeous making a Greek Isles cruise a "must" in the future.

I absolutely loved this cruise but want to offer two observations: 1) I am glad I chose to do this cruise at this point in my life - still young enough to handle it. It is extremely port intensive and there are only 2 sea days. Read any tour descriptions and figure out any of your limitations honestly and go from there when booking tours (ship or otherwise). Many places the buses can't get thru narrow areas so lots of walking (some uphill) and almost always on uneven surfaces. On the Rome tour we had two couples (older) that could not continue midway thru the tour. Same thing happened at the Acropolis but there it was mostly because it was hot, the marble is slick and very crowded.

Second observation is Venice. We loved it here but again it has limitations for anyone with mobility issues. Lots of walking, lots and lots of steps. I used a Princess transfer so we could have transportation back to St Mark's Square when the cruise was over and our hotel (Colombina) was located there. The transfer included luggage delivery to our hotel which was a godsend. (It offers that for a handful of hotels in both St Mark's Square and the train station). I had all our large luggage delivered via the transfer and we kept a small carry on piece with our electronics we didn't want to relinquish and even then it's not fun hauling luggage up and over all the steps/bridges here.

I loved this trip despite all the obstacles encountered (we flew from Washington DC to Heathrow so we were on constant volcano watch as it got close but we did get to fly that leg with no problem) and then the British Airways strike cancelled two of our flights which had to be rescheduled. Little bumps in the road which caused me a little panic but it was all worth it and I'd gladly do it all again. I will say though that, as always, it's good to be back home again though too!

Did you partake in the Pompeii-Amalfi cruise/land excursion through Princess?

What kind of boat were you in? sea conditions?

Ron

Did you partake in the Pompeii-Amalfi cruise/land excursion through Princess?

What kind of boat were you in? sea conditions?

Ron

Yes this was a shore excursion available thru Princess. The boat probably held about 50 people. It sails along the Amalfi coast and about midway stopped for us to get out and wander the small town of Amalfi for about an hour or so. Seas were very calm during both this excursion and all but one evening on the Ruby. Only that one night (think it was on the way to Kusadasi) did I really "feel" the rocking pretty much but it was after dinner and I was in bed reading and it actually helped me sleep.

I start taking generic Bonine beginning a few days before boarding a cruise because I was on the Explorer of the Seas during a hurricane a few years back and when I forgot to take the pill, wow, I could really feel the effects so I don't bother chancing it anymore.

Thanks for your review. I can only dream of the day that I will see Mykonos.:)

We did find some of the same concerns for people with mobility issues in Russia. There often were no alternative if you could not handle walking and stairs.

Thanks for your review. I can only dream of the day that I will see Mykonos.:)

We did find some of the same concerns for people with mobility issues in Russia. There often were no alternative if you could not handle walking and stairs.

A friend told me the same thing - said two couples that signed up for tours for the Hermitage could not participate. They could not handle the steps they needed to climb at that site.

I agree, a Med cruise can be exhausting. We are fairly fit for our ages (more than 55 :rolleyes:) but read in depth about the expectations of our ports before making decisions. The Acropolis is simply not a possibility for anyone with mobility impairments. What always amazed me was the women walking around in high heels or flip-flops. I needed my best sneakers to give me stablity on the uneven, slippery surfaces.

You were very smart to choose a hotel with luggage transfers available in Venice. We stayed in that wonderful city pre-cruise and had to hassle with hauling cruise luggage over several bridges (with the help of hotel staff :)). The day before embarkation, we took half of our luggage to a baggage storage area in Piazalle Roma so that we didn't have to haul it all at once that morning. Just wish we had left it there in the first place.

I envy all of your time in Barcelona. We were only there one day and just had time to get to Sagrada Familia and wander Las Ramblas. I can't wait to go back some day.

I had taken two pair of pretty supportive sandals I wore on most tours but by the time we got to Athens I changed to my "trademark, gotta be an American with those white tennis shoes on" cuz by then I didn't care. I wanted as much support as possible there and it served me well wearing those for this tour.

As for the luggage transfer, I wasn't aware that it was even possible to do that until a notice came about midcruise in the Patter. They said they were trying to get a handle on how many people might wish to use the transfers and it was there that specific motels were listed for luggage delivery. I am SO glad I decided to let the ship handle the luggage. (If I am not mistaken, it cost $39 p/p for the transfer of us and our luggage from port to St Marks Square. The luggage gets delivered late afternoon.

You would think other developed countires did what America does and installed ramps, escalators, and elevators for the mobility-impaired.

I have no problem going up stairs, but often need to hold something to go down. That is not as worrisome as walking on melted snow and ice in the winter, however.

Good review!! I agree that the Med can be very busy!! There is so much to do!! The first time we went to Europe we took a cruise. That is an excellent way to get an overview. But we also needed another vacation once we got home. (I don't think I could of convinced DH to do ONE more cathedral!!) So glad you had a good time.

You would think other developed countires did what America does and installed ramps, escalators, and elevators for the mobility-impaired.

I have no problem going up stairs, but often need to hold something to go down. That is not as worrisome as walking on melted snow and ice in the winter, however.

ADA compliance doesn't exist any of the places we were. Classic example was In Venice - a group of mentally and physically handicapped group (probably 20+ year olds) in wheelchairs were on some sort of arranged tour. Their wheelchairs were pulled up the steps (backwards) to get to the top of the bridges and bounced down the other side. At the Acropolis it's got a railing in very few places and others nothing to hang on to and the marble is slick in some places. Very uneven terrain up there. A friend who is an avid Princess cruiser told me that's why the "Easy" tours are offered. You visit the sites but drive by and stay on the bus if you have mobility problems.

I don't want to harp on the mobility issues - - after all I am a 55 y/o female probably 30/35 pounds overweight and I did fine, not to say it wasn't taxing in some areas (but I also walk a lot everywhere in my tiny rural area) so that helped but the fact that at least 4 or 5 older couples just quit tours midway thru meant that it's probably a good idea for everyone to be brutally honest about any limitations and work from there.

Good review!! I agree that the Med can be very busy!! There is so much to do!! The first time we went to Europe we took a cruise. That is an excellent way to get an overview. But we also needed another vacation once we got home. (I don't think I could of convinced DH to do ONE more cathedral!!) So glad you had a good time.

My niece and I agreed - if we don't see another inside of a church or ruins anytime soon it's okay with us!!

Back to the OP: It is great that you loved all of the ports, but what about the ship? You did not say anything about her. I clicked on this thread to read about the ship, not what trying to walk in Acropolis is like. But now that I know walking in Acropolis is not good, I can safely assume I am not missing anything by excluding Greece from my plans.:rolleyes:

We are 66 and 67 years old and were able to walk to the top of Acropolis. Even with very good athletic shoes it is difficult. The stairs are really not stairs but more like rocks , very slick marble. I am glad we did it, what a sight to see. However, don't think we would be able to do this again. Especially in the heat. We were there in May so not as hot as summer can be, still dehydrating.

The Ruby is a fantastic ship. It is a beauty. Don't think any Princess ship can top it.

san diego sue

The Port in Turkey is Kusadasi. The excursion is to Ephesus. That is where the ruins are located. These are so ancient, took our breathe away that it all still is there.

Shopping in Kusadasi was far better than Istanbul. Shopkeepers in Market place much less aggressive and more willing to come down.

The Port lecturer Hutch had said when we go to the Grand bazaar in Istanbul, offer them 1/4 of what they are asking. then they will come down to about half of original price. We did this and got them mad, and they never came down to half. Others found out the same. So the Port Lecturer needed to go shopping again and get the real scoop.In Kusadasi we didn't do this way of bargaining. got the price and asked if they would sell item at a fair price we offered. Bought some nice purses and jewelry and both us and shopworkers were happy.

Try the Turkish delight candy, they give out free samples. the one with pistachio nuts and made with honey the best. We brought some home.

Hi

We will be on the Star in Sept. disembarking in Venice. Do you remember what hotels were on the list that Princess will deliver luggage to? We are staying near the Rialto bridge and I am still having a hard time deciding how to get from ship to hotel.

Also, what time did you get off the ship the 2nd morning?

We were thinking of taking 1 piece of luggage off the 1st day if that is possible and having the hotel store it for us.

What do you think?

Thanks

Cheryl

Thanks for a great review of your trip. We are planning the same itinerary for Sep/11 and can't wait. So helpful that you provide insight on what to expect.

What did you pay a night to stay at the Jazz Hotel in Barcelona ? and your hotel in Venice ?

Dave

Thanks for the great review. Going to Ephesus for the first time, what did you do when you were there? Sounds like you really enjoyed your cruise. Now you can relax. LOL:)[/quote

Originally I had planned for a fuller day in Kusadasi but changed to only see Ephesus. Very glad I did - by the time we got to this end of the cruise we were pretty wiped out from long days. I truly enjoyed these ruins and the story behind it. Our guide (Ergon) was very interesting. He was an older gentlemen who I believe said he's been doing this for 40 years. Found it fasinating that he said this site is presently only 1/8 excavated. We had gotten to a point (I forget exactly where) and he said that particular site he felt was like his "baby" because when he first began giving tours it had not been unearthed yet. Very informative stop.

Thanks for a great review of your trip. We are planning the same itinerary for Sep/11 and can't wait. So helpful that you provide insight on what to expect.

What did you pay a night to stay at the Jazz Hotel in Barcelona ? and your hotel in Venice ?

Dave

Got confirmations at Jazz Hotel for a rate just under $130 euro and Colombina Hotel (Venice) for about $139 euro along time ago. Even better - by the time I checked out the euro had fallen from $1.45 to the dollar down to $1.23.

Hi

We will be on the Star in Sept. disembarking in Venice. Do you remember what hotels were on the list that Princess will deliver luggage to? We are staying near the Rialto bridge and I am still having a hard time deciding how to get from ship to hotel.

Also, what time did you get off the ship the 2nd morning?

We were thinking of taking 1 piece of luggage off the 1st day if that is possible and having the hotel store it for us.

What do you think?

Thanks

Cheryl

I had to turn in the transfer request with the list of hotels they deliver - you may be able to email and ask. Everyone is to be out of stateroom NLT 8am. Our color tags were to meet in the casino by 8:30 am to get off ship, go to terminal to collect all our luggage and then move to a corner of the terminal where luggage was again collected and placed in bins designated for the various hotels they deliver. Very well organized.

I considered doing what you want. Princess charges $15 to everyone's account while in Venice and give you an unlimited water shuttle pass from the port to St Marks Square for use only on the first day. Very adamant - no luggage allowed on these shuttles. If you plan to do this, you'd need to get off the ship and don't take luggage until you are sure you can buy a public transportation vaporetta pass that will accept your luggage. The little vaporetta stand at the port seemed to always be closed which meant we'd have to go to St Marks Square on the Princess shuttle, find the vaporetta stop, buy a vaporetta pass and then get back to the port and go get luggage and come back down to catch the vaporetta. Seemed too much hassle.

Archived