toulon gare maritime??? is this the correct port??

DONNAKG

hi-- After much search on google & actually calling Royal C, it looks as if

the Navigator of the Seas on July20th docks in the Maritime Gare in Toulon.

There were other posts that had a big mix up and actually docked all the way

across the bay area, losing precious time in Provence.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct>????? RCCL lady said she thinks so LOL!

anyway I have reserved a rental with sixt , the cheapest w/ navigation

for 68euro.

hopefully I am at the rite place!:confused:

thanks Donnakg

I honestly don't know the answer to this. However, I will be sailing on Voyager next month and discovered via these boards that, although the itinerary says it will be docking in Toulon, it actually docks in La Seyne sur Mer. I found this out via a thread on Adventure which also docked in La Seyne. The person who posted that believed that the Voyager class were too big to dock in Toulon and since Navigator is even bigger I would think that will also be the case.

I suggest you look back on the recent Navigator reviews to find out if they mention where they docked and you could also look on the roll call threads and ask the question for recent cruises. I did this for Voyager and someone confirmed that they did dock in La Seyne

Edited to add this which indicates they do not dock in Toulon http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=68404

I honestly don't know the answer to this. However, I will be sailing on Voyager next month and discovered via these boards that, although the itinerary says it will be docking in Toulon, it actually docks in La Seyne sur Mer. I found this out via a thread on Adventure which also docked in La Seyne. The person who posted that believed that the Voyager class were too big to dock in Toulon and since Navigator is even bigger I would think that will also be the case.

I suggest you look back on the recent Navigator reviews to find out if they mention where they docked and you could also look on the roll call threads and ask the question for recent cruises. I did this for Voyager and someone confirmed that they did dock in La Seyne

Edited to add this which indicates they do not dock in Toulon http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=68404

BOBAL-- thanks for your response....I guess the lady that I spoke to from RCCL needs to be educated also.

I think I will reserve another car in the la Seyne sur Mer area if I can ( & they do not charge until you pick it up) so I will be coverd both places LOL!

donnakg:p

hi-- After much search on google & actually calling Royal C, it looks as if

the Navigator of the Seas on July20th docks in the Maritime Gare in Toulon.

There were other posts that had a big mix up and actually docked all the way

across the bay area, losing precious time in Provence.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct>????? RCCL lady said she thinks so LOL!

anyway I have reserved a rental with sixt , the cheapest w/ navigation

for 68euro.

hopefully I am at the rite place!:confused:

thanks Donnakg

This is the email I received from RCCL. I'm still confused.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion the various Ports associated with Provence, France have caused. We are pleased to provide the information you seek below in this correspondence.

Your cruise itinerary shows that you will be docking in Provence (Toulon), France (Port of Toulon - La Seyne) on October 24, 2010 from 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM. The town of Toulon is located in the same general area as the Port of Toulon - La Seyne. There will be taxis available at the Port, but a lot of the establishments and venues are within walking distance from the Port. We have provided the address and information for the Port below, for your convenience:

Port of Toulon La Seyne

244 Ave de I'Infanterie de Mar

BP 501

Toulon, Cedex 9 83041

Phone: 33 4 94 03 27 60

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of the people who got caught up in the confusion on our Med. cruise last month. We had the car waiting in Gare Maritime in Toulon, across the bay. Sixt ended up sending a rep to the port to take us to pick up our car in La Seyne-sur-Mer. We drove to Aix, but wasted lots of time due to the confusion. I'd like to spare others the time and aggravation.

If you go to the Sixt car rental site for La Sey Mer, they will do a "Meet and Greet", which means they will meet you at the port, take you to the car rental place and....this is the best part...pick up the car at the port at the end of the day. Having them pick up the car at the port is a nice feature because this is a relatively short day in that port. We had to have the car back by 4:30.

http://www.sixt.co.uk/car-hire/france/la-seyne-sur-mer/

Celebrity Eclipse confirmed this address to me

Môle d’armement.

Escpace Joseph Grimaud (Marepolis).

83500 La Seyne sur Mer.

My car hire is with Hertz in Toulon - I called them and asked them if they would deliver to La Seyne and they said 'non'

I think I'll cancel and go with Sixt - thanks for the info

When renting with Sixt must you call them when you are ready for pick-up to have them pick you up at the port in LaSeyne-sur-Mer?

THANKS for your input--On our reservation it tells us that meet & greet is rite close to the train station --- look for a sixt rep that is waiting for us????

so , really you still have to call them even tho we have confirmation now???:confused:

donnakg

Yes, basically. Go back to post #6 and follow the link. It's called a "Meet and Greet". They will meet you at the port, take you to their rental facility. The good part is that upon your return you drop the car off right at the port, they take it away and you board the ship.

Yes, you will need to let them know that your ship will be docking in LaSeyne-sur-mer.

Let me know if you need more info.

When renting with Sixt must you call them when you are ready for pick-up to have them pick you up at the port in LaSeyne-sur-Mer?

While that is true, Sixt Car Rental in Toulon has a car rental facility named Gare Maritime. Yes, car station near train station!

FYI - Gare is French for train station so the ship obviously will not be docking there. But the car rental is near the train station.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from renting with Sixt in the south of France and when we arrived the car we reserved was not available and they had no navigation, which we had reserved. Will not rent with Sixt ever again. I should have stuck with Hertz as my experiences with Hertz are usually good.

It costs me £20 to cancel my reservation with Hertz, and the Sixt cars are now about £25 more expensive than the Hertz cars- so spending extra £45 for the 'convenience' of Sixt is not worth it- I think I'll stick with Hertz.

Hi -- I wanted to tell you that we DID not even rent a car in Toulon.

If you have a world phone, & you can speak French you can call them when you pull into port & they can meet you. We wasted so much time.....

We decided to just forget it. We took the shuttle for 12$pp R/T to the taxi stand , where you had to wait for them to get around to coming, then had then drive us to the train station, went to Cassis , saw the cliffs, train back, again wait for taxis. Toulon is not a user friendly spot.

I would do a tour / or train it.,, plus the traffic is hor:(rible!

good luck- donnakg

FYI - Gare is French for train station so the ship obviously will not be docking there. But the car rental is near the train station.

Gare is French for station

Unless specified otherwise, it is assumed that it would be a train station.

A gare routiere is a bus station.

I never heard the term before, but it would make sense to me for a gare maritime to be a port. (or rather a boat station / ship station ;))

I had emailed Sixt prior to our arrival to see if they would meet us at the port and they said they would meet us at the train station but not the port. If I had to do it again I would have rented a car but not with Sixt---instead would rent with Hertz as their service is usually predictable.

In the context of this thread Gare Maritime is a location for a car rental company near the Port of Toulon.

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/france/toulon/toulon-gare-maritime/

As has been discussed many times NOT all of the big ships dock in Toulon, so plan ahead when it comes to renting a car. Many ships dock in La Seyne Sur-Mer, which is across the bay and is not close to the Gare Maritime car rental place.

In other words, if you think you're going to dock in Toulon, it makes perfect sense to rent from the Gare Maritime site. However, if your ship docks in La Seyne Sur-Mer, a different location must be chosen for renting a car. An alternative is to arrange a Meet and Greet where the rental place picks you up at port, drives you to pick up your car and then allows you to simply drop the car off at the port at the end of the day. Nice!

So, it's not so much about the meaning of the words, it's about location. Location, location, location!

I had emailed Sixt prior to our arrival to see if they would meet us at the port and they said they would meet us at the train station but not the port. If I had to do it again I would have rented a car but not with Sixt---instead would rent with Hertz as their service is usually predictable.

Which ship? Which port? Sixt met us at our port, La Seyne sur-mer last month.

We were on the Navigator in La Seyne.

Wonder why not? We were on the RC Navigator in June and they met us at the port and let us return our car to the port.

Mabye they are not doing that anymore? Did you arrange a "Meet and Greet" with them ahead of time?

Archived