Rope lights removed from tops of ships?

DarthGrady

Ever since I can remember Carnival ships have had the ropes of lights strung above the ship. When we were in Nassau this past weekend, I saw that both Imaginaton and Fascination have had theirs removed.

The strand in the front of the ship was still in place, but the ones between the foremast and the funnel were gone. Also, the strands that went down to the aft corners from the back of the funnel were gone. It was still light enough to see that they were not simply un-lit, they were no longer there. The ships look less festive now IMHO.

Anyone know why?

Fleet-01.jpg

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CarnivalPCs.html

Before

232323232%7Ffp43247%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C2425%3A434nu0mrj

After (sorry it turned out fuzzy, I was shooting through glass)

232323232%7Ffp43446%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A69%3B4326nu0mrj

DW and I were in Nassau on the Fascination last month and as soon as it got dark, it was the first thing we noticed! The Sensation was in port right next to us and she still had them.

I like the lights!:mad:

It probably started something like this: "Hey y'all, I bet I can climb all the way to the front of the ship on that strand of lights!"

...or..."Do you know how much money we could save if we turned all of those lights off every night?"

...or..."Do you know how much money we could save if we turned all of those lights off every night?"

That was my first thought, especially with Uncle Gerry Scrooge's penny pinching. :eek::D

What a shame if that is true, the lights were certainly a distinctive Carnival thing, since most of the other lines don't have them anymore.

I've always thought that these lights were there for other Vessels to determine which direction the ship is traveling. Were the ships in port or were they sailing when you saw the missing lights?

There are certain lights for navigation, but that is not what these are for. These are just decorative ropes of lights that used to run above the ships upper decks.

When I noticed this, all ships were in port at Nassau.

I've always thought that these lights were there for other Vessels to determine which direction the ship is traveling. Were the ships in port or were they sailing when you saw the missing lights?

According to the pictures in the original post, they were in port. But I don't think they are putting them up and taking them back down between ports.. If they're gone, they're gone. And I think they were more for show than functionality.

Archived