Rope lights removed from tops of ships?

DarthGrady

I apologise if someone already mentioned this but could it be that the ships are just to freaking huge these days?? Smaller ships would be far easier to string lights around and maintain bulbs......large ships??? Fuggetaboudit.

I wouldn't have lights strung around these behemouth ships if I owned them.....just sayin'

I definitely noticed the lights were not turned on when we went on the Miracle in May (but the lights were still present). I thought it was odd, and thought maybe a money saving thing. But there seems to be little consistency here:confused: I missed the lights:(

I definitely noticed the lights were not turned on when we went on the Miracle in May (but the lights were still present). I thought it was odd, and thought maybe a money saving thing. But there seems to be little consistency here:confused: I missed the lights:(

Our tour guide told us that the Imagination is a testbed for many of Carnival's new programs and ideas. I am assuming this may be why she has lost her lights. Maybe they are seeing how the electricity usage changes without them before they change it fleet wide. :confused:

Our tour guide told us that the Imagination is a testbed for many of Carnival's new programs and ideas. I am assuming this may be why she has lost her lights. Maybe they are seeing how the electricity usage changes without them before they change it fleet wide. :confused:

Well then.....I hope the test is NOT a success :eek:!! I like the lights ;)

I rather like them off, makes for better stargaizing, i remember our cruise on the fascination in '04 there was a meteor shower and the captain turned all the ships outside lights off for a while it was breathtaking!!

I rather like them off, makes for better stargaizing, i remember our cruise on the fascination in '04 there was a meteor shower and the captain turned all the ships outside lights off for a while it was breathtaking!!

I'm torn. I like the lights on when you see a ship in harbor or floating in the middle of the ocean but darkness is what is needed to see the real beuaty of the stars. I never realized what I was missing until I moved out to the country where city lights don't exist.:)

I'm torn. I like the lights on when you see a ship in harbor or floating in the middle of the ocean but darkness is what is needed to see the real beuaty of the stars. I never realized what I was missing until I moved out to the country where city lights don't exist.:)

How did you change your name? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that the Liberty had the rope lights and they were on every night. The only ones that weren't on were the ones forward of the foremast. Those were off for navigation purposes. Also, we were in Nassau with the Destiny and Sensation. They both had the rope lights as well.

I wish the wouldn't take away those light strings, I also like the line of small little different flags, looks real festive

Ever since I can remember Carnival ships have had the ropes of lights strung above the ship. When we were in Nassau this past weekend, I saw that both Imaginaton and Fascination have had theirs removed.

The strand in the front of the ship was still in place, but the ones between the foremast and the funnel were gone. Also, the strands that went down to the aft corners from the back of the funnel were gone. It was still light enough to see that they were not simply un-lit, they were no longer there. The ships look less festive now IMHO.

Anyone know why?

Fleet-01.jpg

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CarnivalPCs.html

Before

232323232%7Ffp43247%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C2425%3A434nu0mrj

After (sorry it turned out fuzzy, I was shooting through glass)

232323232%7Ffp43446%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A69%3B4326nu0mrj

"The lights John is referring to are the same color, but those are the ones on the bow (in the areas fed by the secret doors on Decks 6 and 7). They light a pretty blue light on the front of the ship when she's in port. They're turned off at sea, as they're directly below the bridge and make it very hard for the officers to see at night. It really does make the ship look nice at night, though". ......

I can see why those lights in the front of the ship need to be turned off while at sea..

If I was running at night and 3 mile away I say those lights to me it would look like a ship at anchor or a ship's aft, heading the same direction as me .... big issue for a smaller boat going at high speed.

While there might be glare for the ship officers at night making it hard to see… from normal navigation sight isn’t very important as these ships are so large that if you were to see something in the water you could not stop her quickly … if one was on some type of search I could se why they would turn off the light under the bridge

"

with less overhead lighting, is it easier to see the stars?

We only really looked once, and they were difficult to see. I do not know how much the lighting affected this as we had a lot of haze and cloud cover, to the point that at times it was rather difficult to see the moon, never mind the stars.

with less overhead lighting, is it easier to see the stars?

It makes a huge difference on a clear night. Try leaving your city at night and go out into the country where there are no city lights, street lights etc and see the difference in the sky. The stars are very bright and beautiful at my house compared to in town and even better in the middle of the ocean.

Archived