Rope lights removed from tops of ships?

DarthGrady

I bet its some wacked out "green" movement to reduce the amount of power used or the bulbs are causing global warming or some such thing.

They have to get a string of these instead -

compact-fluorescent-bulb.jpg

And if one breaks you have to evacuate the ship. A lot of effort at sea...

;)

Really? Who told you that? I guess that is just your opinion, lol. Ships have specific color lights for that. Port side is red, starboard is green. That is all someone would need to know the orientation of the ship. The strung lights are purely decorative. Other cruise lines do not use them.

Just search Port or Starboard on Wikipedia and there are explanations there.

My bad, I was thinking about the strung light being colored but they are not. I look bad and see the navigation lights now. No need for the sarcasm by the way.

My bad, I was thinking about the strung light being colored but they are not. I look bad and see the navigation lights now. No need for the sarcasm by the way.

Well, you did post it as "fact" which it's not. I know you wanted to come off as knowing what you were talking about, but...:rolleyes:

Well, you did post it as "fact" which it's not. I know you wanted to come off as knowing what you were talking about, but...:rolleyes:

Yup, I was thinking about the wrong set of lights as I was thinking the strung lights were the nav lights, I actually looked back on the video that talks about them, I am sorry for not meeting your high standards for posting. To all the other reading, forget what I posted as it was wrong.

Really? Who told you that? I guess that is just your opinion, lol. Ships have specific color lights for that. Port side is red, starboard is green. That is all someone would need to know the orientation of the ship. The strung lights are purely decorative. Other cruise lines do not use them.

Just search Port or Starboard on Wikipedia and there are explanations there.

On commercial vessels, the number and color of mast lights are also 'tell tales' to other commercial vessels.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/06/22/your-destiny/

Welcome back to Host Mach who wrote to me today asking about the blue lights at the front of the Conquest class ships. Apparently some of the Cruise Critic readers had been asking about the blue lights that decorate the ships from deck 3 to deck 11 forward. Apparently, some of the readers had been looking at the web cams or had been on the ships and noticed that these lights were not there and asking therefore if they had been removed.

I checked with both the Carnival Valor and Carnival Conquest and they both told me that the blue lights had not been removed but are now turned off at the forward part of the ship due to navigational issues. They are turned on as and if the ships are docked alongside the pier at night time. You know, there are those who don’t like these lights……..me……well I do and as I think they are distinctive and somewhat romantic.

Must be a confusing issue on what ships the lights are missing on .

Well, to throw my 2-cents in, OP, do you recall if there were strong winds forecast or something? Perhaps they pull them down if they are expecting certain wind speeds? I seriously hope it is not a stupid penny-pinching thing.

Okay, so I guess actually looking up the facts instead of posting the wrong info is A-OK? Besides the fact my DH is a US Navy Captain, I googled it before I posted. The poster came off as trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about, but didn't. That's all I'm sayin....

Of course everyone who threw in totally useless info trying to be funny are a bit of a problem on these threads too. :cool:

Is that like story time? If so I'm there! :p

No, not story time:D, just a FYI.

A partial list:

22. Visibility of lights

Lights must be visible as follows;

• In vessels of 50 metres (164 ft) or more in length:
    • a masthead light, 6 nautical miles;
    • a sidelight, 3 miles;
    • a towing light, 3 miles;
    • a white, red, green or yellow all-around light, 3 miles.

[*]In vessels between 12–50 metres (39–164 ft) in length;

• a masthead light, for vessel longer than 20 metres (66 ft), 5 miles; for vessel shorter than 20 metres (66 ft), 3 miles[1];
    • a sidelight, 2 miles;
    • a sternlight, 2 miles;
    • a white, red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles.

[*]In vessels less than 12 metres (39 ft) in length:

• a masthead light, 2 miles;
    • a sidelight, 1 mile;
    • a towing light, 2 miles;
    • a white, red, green or yellow all-around light, 2 miles.

23. Lights displayed by power-driven vessels underway

• A power-driven vessel underway must display:
    • a masthead light forward;
    • If over 50 metres (164 ft) length, then also a second masthead light aft and higher than the forward one;
    • sidelights;
    • a sternlight.

[*]A hovercraft must also display an all-round flashing yellow light.

[*]A power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres (39.4 ft) may display only an all-round white light and sidelights.

Could it be that the ships that have the WaterWorks slides on the aft have had the lights removed? The two the OP mentioned have the WW and the ones mentioned that still have the lights don't have the WW. Just a guess...but, if someone has photos of the other Fantasy class ships then maybe we can see.

Okay, so I guess actually looking up the facts instead of posting the wrong info is A-OK? Besides the fact my DH is a US Navy Captain, I googled it before I posted. The poster came off as trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about, but didn't. That's all I'm sayin....

Of course everyone who threw in totally useless info trying to be funny are a bit of a problem on these threads too. :cool:

Thats why it is a public board, this is not Congress writing law, we do make mistakes. Why Google it when I got a video of Carnival discussing the lights, yes I should have said I think so, or don't quote me on it.

The widget went away in favor of the funnel as Carnival's logo.

I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the strings of lights.

I've asked about that specifically and will post if I get an answer.

mach man - by 'may be related', i meant in the same manner that the decision was made to remove the widget from the ships - it was then implemented ship by ship, painting over it, etc., not necessarily related to the logo itself...

i just meant that perhaps they made a decision that they were going to do this to all the ships, and started implementing it ship by ship, which grady caught 2 of... which would be ironic, since he's the one that first noticed the widget removal :D

but, for all i know, the store they buy them at is in nassau and they were re-stringing them :)

BTW, i don't think that john heald understood your question - because his answer (re: blue lights) on the blog today (assuming that's related to your question), was totally not about these:cool:

BTW, i don't think that john heald understood your question - because his answer (re: blue lights) on the blog today (assuming that's related to your question), was totally not about these:cool:

I was wondering the same thing.. They are white, definitely not blue..

Archived