Rope lights removed from tops of ships?

DarthGrady

There are certain lights for navigation, but that is not what these are for. These are just decorative ropes of lights that used to run above the ships upper decks.

When I noticed this, all ships were in port at Nassau.

grady - love your attention to detail. last time, similar topic, you asked about the removal of the carnival 'widget' on the ships' sides... now this? :eek:

may be related?

here's a shot of pride in nassau, granted 9/2009, but it's not like it's a local thing...

IMG_5143.jpg

i like the lights. if they take them away, i think that's a dumb idea... :cool:

Ever since I can remember Carnival ships have had the ropes of lights strung above the ship. When we were in Nassau this past weekend, I saw that both Imaginaton and Fascination have had theirs removed.

The strand in the front of the ship was still in place, but the ones between the foremast and the funnel were gone. Also, the strands that went down to the aft corners from the back of the funnel were gone. It was still light enough to see that they were not simply un-lit, they were no longer there. The ships look less festive now IMHO.

Anyone know why?

Fleet-01.jpg

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CarnivalPCs.html

Before

232323232%7Ffp43247%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C2425%3A434nu0mrj

After (sorry it turned out fuzzy, I was shooting through glass)

232323232%7Ffp43446%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A69%3B4326nu0mrj

Interesting question Darth. I have seen on more than one cruise during the cruise the maintainance people take them and the cables down that they are strung on. Then after a day or so they are back up. Maybe it is just a situation of general maintainance.....

I just went and looked at my Dream pix from Dec and the lights were strung and lit.

Could the lights make it harder to see

the movies at night?

The two ships "Drath" noticed this on were Fantasy Class ships and they don't have the big screen systems outside....;)

grady - love your attention to detail. last time, similar topic, you asked about the removal of the carnival 'widget' on the ships' sides... now this? :eek:

may be related?

here's a shot of pride in nassau, granted 9/2009, but it's not like it's a local thing...

IMG_5143.jpg

i like the lights. if they take them away, i think that's a dumb idea... :cool:

The widget went away in favor of the funnel as Carnival's logo.

I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the strings of lights.

I've asked about that specifically and will post if I get an answer.

Well, this is just going to totally ruin my cruise. I, for one, am going to head straight for the purser's desk and demand to be compensated. After all, if their advertising material showed lights, then damn it, we deserve something.

I was just going through some pics from our cruise on Destiny and noticed something. The first pic we took while in port between our first and 2nd leg of B2B. You'll notice the lights and the flags down the middle. The second pic is the "after" pic when everyone showed up. Appears to be no lights or flags?

31729_409452939592_585694592_3858643_5439501_n.jpg

31729_409452954592_585694592_3858644_511252_n.jpg

May be you just can't see them, cause the angle isn't 100% the same, but as best I can tell they're not there..

Interesting question Darth. I have seen on more than one cruise during the cruise the maintainance people take them and the cables down that they are strung on. Then after a day or so they are back up. Maybe it is just a situation of general maintainance.....

I just went and looked at my Dream pix from Dec and the lights were strung and lit.

Yeah, had it not been both ships missing them I probably would not have noticed. I hope it is just a maintenance thing, maybe Mach will get a reply.

I was just going through some pics from our cruise on Destiny and noticed something. The first pic we took while in port between our first and 2nd leg of B2B. You'll notice the lights and the flags down the middle. The second pic is the "after" pic when everyone showed up. Appears to be no lights or flags?

31729_409452939592_585694592_3858643_5439501_n.jpg

31729_409452954592_585694592_3858644_511252_n.jpg

May be you just can't see them, cause the angle isn't 100% the same, but as best I can tell they're not there..

I know the flags are only flown on embarkation/debarkation. Not sure what's going on with the lights????

It probably started something like this: "Hey y'all, I bet I can climb all the way to the front of the ship on that strand of lights!"

Which would have been followed with "Hey ya'll, WATCH THIS!" Which would have been followed with whatever the emergency code announcement is that calls for medics with a stretcher to Lido..... LOL! :D

Maybe they are trying to reduce power consumption because everyone's trying to charge their curling irons, ipods, cameras, laptops, etc.

Maybe they followed their own policy and had to get rid of the extention cord or power strip because it posed a hazard, and they could not afford to replace it.

Well, this is just going to totally ruin my cruise. I, for one, am going to head straight for the purser's desk and demand to be compensated. After all, if their advertising material showed lights, then damn it, we deserve something.

Yeah, me too. Should be worth at least 1/2 off my cruise and several hundred dollars in OBC, right?? Tee hee hee :D

The lights are navigation lights, used so other smaller vessels such as ones without radar can tell the orientation of the ship. If you notice the aft section on the ship has two strands, I think this signifies the aft section of the ship. In the pictures you may have not seen them for either bulb replacement, retractable like the flags or it might just be because of the light in the backdrop. I am sure they are required for sailing at night because of Maritime law.

The lights are navigation lights, used so other smaller vessels such as ones without radar can tell the orientation of the ship. If you notice the aft section on the ship has two strands, I think this signifies the aft section of the ship. In the pictures you may have not seen them for either bulb replacement, retractable like the flags or it might just be because of the light in the backdrop. I am sure they are required for sailing at night because of Maritime law.

Really? Who told you that? I guess that is just your opinion, lol. Ships have specific color lights for that. Port side is red, starboard is green. That is all someone would need to know the orientation of the ship. The strung lights are purely decorative. Other cruise lines do not use them.

Just search Port or Starboard on Wikipedia and there are explanations there.

Archived