2011 pricing: Take a deep breath

About all I can say is wow! In looking at a June 2011 cruise out of Baltimore, I am dismayed. We're talking increases of hundreds of dollars on a cruise identical to one we took this month but from Norfolk. Expect it everywhere, our agent said. So much for advance booking. Yes, we have plenty of time to look for sales, which we surely will do. But this seems harsh. Others seeing this?

About all I can say is wow! In looking at a June 2011 cruise out of Baltimore, I am dismayed. We're talking increases of hundreds of dollars on a cruise identical to one we took this month but from Norfolk. Expect it everywhere, our agent said. So much for advance booking. Yes, we have plenty of time to look for sales, which we surely will do. But this seems harsh. Others seeing this?

I have to agree also. I keep wondering if we "I" will be priced out of the cruise market shortly. The prices seem to be getting outrageous, let alone we do not have a family to take onboard:eek:

Pricing is the reason that we are going with CCL for our 12 day Med cruise next summer. Savings is almost $3,000 for our family of 4, leaving on the same day on a nearly identical itinerary. That is substantial! We'd rather RCCL but not for that difference in price.

I have two cruises booked for 2011. One costs about what I would expect. The other, well, since I booked the price has more than doubled. Of course I get to keep my old much lower price.

Are you sure you want to wait for a sale?

If folks book it, they will continue to charge as much as they can. Just don't book trips that you feel are too expensive!

It's the same thing with all the "pay" restaurants....folks utilize them, so they keep adding them!

If no one paid "outrageous" prices, they'd stop charging "outrageous" prices!

Pricing is the reason that we are going with CCL for our 12 day Med cruise next summer. Savings is almost $3,000 for our family of 4, leaving on the same day on a nearly identical itinerary. That is substantial! We'd rather RCCL but not for that difference in price.

We find Celebrity Med cruises cheaper then RCCL usually and much better esp on Solstice class.

Depends on where you want to go, I guess.

Baltimore cruises have always been higher. I've looked at them many times over the last few years for my sis who lives in Maryland.

I have a Freedom cruise booked with a gf for September 2011 and we are paying $730 each including taxes and fees. That's pretty reasonable, I think.

DH and I are also booked on a b2b on the Serenade in October 2011 in a balcony cabin: one is $779 before our balcony discount and taxes/fees; the other is $799 before the discount and taxes/fees.

Baltimore cruises have always been higher. I've looked at them many times over the last few years for my sis who lives in Maryland.

You're right, these local ports generally cost more, but not having to fly saves both money and frustration. We've done Baltimore and Norfolk and loved both. This time, there are 8 of us, including two children. I'm hoping that a sale of some type - I don't care if it's for ugly old men - will come along. Surely, in a year....

It's called Cap & Tax kiddo's & if you think they're bad now just wait til it actually gets enacted (which it will:mad:) either by Congress or the EPA but either way by the end of this year it will be & then cruising will be only for the wealthiest among us:( Soon ALL cruise lines will have to compensate for the massive jump in fuel costs & I'm talking $4a gallon to start or by the barrel $170-$200 to start & major spikes after that. So enjoy your cruises you have booked for this year as it just may be the LAST year many of us will be able to afford it:(:mad:

The prices on the cruises I've taken in the last two years have mostly been bargains, so I'm not surprised that prices are rising. I remember paying something like $450pp for 4 nights in an oceanview cabin on the Nordic Empress in 1994. Today that same 4 nights are about $400, and that's not even considering inflation. I'm afraid that the golden days of cheap fares may be coming to an end, at least for this economic cycle.

I never think of it as rising prices, RC will charge as much as the market will bear. If the cabins don't sell at the current prices, then they will be discounted right down to this year's levels, or below.

Cruises more expensive out of Baltimore? - depends on the week. Take a look at the 12 day cruise on 12/6, just got a 2nd price drop (residency rate), and am now in an inside below $120 per day (per CABIN), before taxes.

You're right, these local ports generally cost more, but not having to fly saves both money and frustration. We've done Baltimore and Norfolk and loved both. This time, there are 8 of us, including two children. I'm hoping that a sale of some type - I don't care if it's for ugly old men - will come along. Surely, in a year....

Definitely keep your eye on those prices!! You never know if the weekly specials, the quarterly coupons, residency specials, or just plain old fashion price drops will happen. IMO I see lots and lots of 4 nighters on these specials.

I've looked at Baltimore for all times of the year, and compared to Florida departure ports, they are always higher. That's not to say that they may go down with one of the above mentioned goodies. :D

It's called Cap & Tax kiddo's & if you think they're bad now just wait til it actually gets enacted (which it will:mad:) either by Congress or the EPA but either way by the end of this year it will be & then cruising will be only for the wealthiest among us:( Soon ALL cruise lines will have to compensate for the massive jump in fuel costs & I'm talking $4a gallon to start or by the barrel $170-$200 to start & major spikes after that. So enjoy your cruises you have booked for this year as it just may be the LAST year many of us will be able to afford it:(:mad:

Well, it's a interesting thought, but you seem to forget that the bread and butter of RCCL's passengers are middle income Americans. So, I don't think they will go out of business because only the wealthiest can afford to cruise. We will see other things happening besides price increases. If what you say is true, they will reinstate the fuel surcharge. However, I've gone through crazy oil prices with RCCL in the 1970's, and fuel surcharges, and still kept on cruisin'.

I don't think it's as doomsdayish as you see it.

Last year when we booked our cruise for this year, the price was $1,049 for an inside cabin for 9 days on the Explorer. With all the price drops throughout the year, we ended up paying $699 by the time final payment was due. The price is the same thing now for the sailing we just booked for next year ($1,049), but we're hoping it drops.

I still think RCCL is more reasonable. We let a Future Cruise Credit expire on Princess because the price for next year was $1,399 for a 9-day cruise with an inside cabin. Explorer was $400 less per person with the same itinerary.

With a still uncertain economy, RCI has to do their best to maximize revenue. Try some higher prices, if it doesn't stick, lower them as it gets closer.

It will all come down to what people are willing to pay.

Exactly;)...I think it's just wishful/hopeful thinking on the cruise lines part that the economy by 2011 will be improved and money more freely flowing....however....this is just wishful/hopeful thinking, doesn't mean that's what is going to happen....and I for one am doubtful that the pricing they are putting out there is going to stick much.

Last year when we booked our cruise for this year, the price was $1,049 for an inside cabin for 9 days on the Explorer. With all the price drops throughout the year, we ended up paying $699 by the time final payment was due. The price is the same thing now for the sailing we just booked for next year ($1,049), but we're hoping it drops.

I still think RCCL is more reasonable. We let a Future Cruise Credit expire on Princess because the price for next year was $1,399 for a 9-day cruise with an inside cabin. Explorer was $400 less per person with the same itinerary.

I guess that just speaks to how unreasonable the initial pricing was. The biggest problem, as I see it, with RCI playing that game is that instead of people waiting to see if pricing drops they just go ahead and plan an alternative vacation that does not include RCI. Then when the pricing does drop it is too late to get these folks that would have booked a vacation with RCI.

That happened to me one year when I really wanted to sail Independence but the pricing was ridiculous. After I commited to another cruise the pricing for Independence dropped dramatically. Fortunately for RCI the alternative cruise that I booked was on Adventure of the Seas and not with a competing cruise line.

They have to at least try to get more money, even if it doesn't end up working.

It's a bit of a fine line though....they put future pricing to high and they will scare many off...that results in one of 2 things....they end up booking elsewhere or they wait till last minute to book.

We booked LOS for 2/11 but now we are cancelling because the price is ridiculous compared to other cruises. $909 per adult is bad enough, but $599 for kids is an outrage. We are booking NCL instead which has better ports. We've been on RCI before and really didn't see a difference as compared to Carnival. In fact the food on Carnival was better.

We booked LOS for 2/11 but now we are cancelling because the price is ridiculous compared to other cruises. $909 per adult is bad enough, but $599 for kids is an outrage. We are booking NCL instead which has better ports. We've been on RCI before and really didn't see a difference as compared to Carnival. In fact the food on Carnival was better.

It's Oasis/Allure that are going to start to really have the tough time trying to get families booked...been saying this for a while now.....there are so few interiors and rooms sizes have shrunk making most families are having to book 2 cabins (at least thats what makes sense being what they are charging for 3rd and 4th)....thats a bit hard when you are looking at paying $1279+ per child compared to like $199 on NCL....they sure need to figure something out.

Archived