Portofino & Santa Margharita or Cinque Terre?

jb101300

I'm torn between these 2 excursions. We'll be on Disney Cruiseline & our first trip to Europe. The price for both of these excursions is almost the same but the excursion to Portofino/Santa Margharita is 8.5 hrs and the one to Cinque Terre is only 4.5-5 hours --including travel time. It doesnt seem like enough time to see Cinque Terre?? Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated 

I'm torn between these 2 excursions. We'll be on Disney Cruiseline & our first trip to Europe. The price for both of these excursions is almost the same but the excursion to Portofino/Santa Margharita is 8.5 hrs and the one to Cinque Terre is only 4.5-5 hours --including travel time. It doesnt seem like enough time to see Cinque Terre?? Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated 

We just got back from all 3 (we did them on a post cruise trip) and personally I would do the Portofino/Santa Margharita for 8.5 hrs. You will spend more time ashore. Cinque Terre entails a lot of travel time between cities and is spectacular........but it is only 1/2 a day.

Here are some photos I took of all three areas at the end of this album....

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577958878mzhIXt

JLC@SD --Thank you so much for the advice and the link to your photos -- they are beautiful! I can't wait to go! I agree that the 8.5 hour tour to Portofino is a better deal than the 4.5 hour tour to Cinque Terre. If we go with an excursion through the ship I will do the one to Portofino. I am thinking of doing a private tour or perhaps maybe going to Cinque Terre on our own. But I'm still not sure. --Just wondering if you had gone on an excursion or if you had gone on your own?

In July we will tender into Santa Margharita. Our plan is to catch the 10:15 ferry which leaves from the same dock the tender drops you off (5 euros one way, 8.5 round trip), go to Portofino for roughly three hours. The town is pretty small (but hilly). We will visit St George Church and maybe walk to the end of the point where the views are said to be fantastic.

After that, back on the ferry to SM for the Rick Steve's self guided walking tour and lunch. Total cost for 3 of us (excluding lunch) will be about $50 and that includes buying Rick's book which covers all of Italy ;).

Kirk

In July we will tender into Santa Margharita. Our plan is to catch the 10:15 ferry which leaves from the same dock the tender drops you off (5 euros one way, 8.5 round trip), go to Portofino for roughly three hours. The town is pretty small (but hilly). We will visit St George Church and maybe walk to the end of the point where the views are said to be fantastic.

After that, back on the ferry to SM for the Rick Steve's self guided walking tour and lunch. Total cost for 3 of us (excluding lunch) will be about $50 and that includes buying Rick's book which covers all of Italy ;).

Kirk

We did this a few years back and it is quite nice. Actually rather than getting the ferry we went with two other couples and we got a guy who owned a small boat to take us between the two locations where he waited for us. We had a nice time. Either way is great and these are two very special towns.

Keith

Cinque Terre is 4.5 hours including to-ing and fro-ing is, imho, insane. Unless your idea of travel to check off as many places as possible, I would vote against this strongly. Wandering, walking, stopping for a cafe or vino here and there ... that's the charm of the villages.

Portofino & Santa Margharita are quite nice, so save the villages for a land trip to Northern Italy when you can spend some time relaxing.

Cinque Terre is 4.5 hours including to-ing and fro-ing is, imho, insane. Unless your idea of travel to check off as many places as possible, I would vote against this strongly. Wandering, walking, stopping for a cafe or vino here and there ... that's the charm of the villages.

Portofino & Santa Margharita are quite nice, so save the villages for a land trip to Northern Italy when you can spend some time relaxing.

I can't believe they even offer an excursion there for that amount of time -- I thought this was crazy too (and I have never been there before). If we do go w/ the ship excursion we will do Portofino and Santa Margharita. If I can do some research, and muster up the courage to explore on our own, maybe we will try to navigate our way to/from Cinque Terra...but, at this point, I am very intimidated/chicken to even attempt it.

JLC@SD --Thank you so much for the advice and the link to your photos -- they are beautiful! I can't wait to go! I agree that the 8.5 hour tour to Portofino is a better deal than the 4.5 hour tour to Cinque Terre. If we go with an excursion through the ship I will do the one to Portofino. I am thinking of doing a private tour or perhaps maybe going to Cinque Terre on our own. But I'm still not sure. --Just wondering if you had gone on an excursion or if you had gone on your own?

We did a post cruise stay and we stayed in Rapallo. The night photo is from our hotel balcony. From Rapallo, we took trains to Cinque Terre area and boats to Santa Margharita / Portofino. Which port will your Disney ship stop at?

• 1 month later...
I understand there's a shuttle bus between Portofino and Santa Margherita. Is anyone familiar with this and know where to catch it??

I have not heard of a shuttle bus per say, but rather the local city bus. It runs to/from Portofino/Santa Margherita about every half hour.

I have not heard of a shuttle bus per say, but rather the local city bus. It runs to/from Portofino/Santa Margherita about every half hour.

Thanks for this information. How far is it from Santa Margherita to Portofino? We are in Genoa in October for 12 hours and intend doing these 2 places on our own.

It's about three miles or so.

Thanks Euro, your answers are much appreciated. As I have stated I'll be in Genoa for 12 hrs (0700 - 1900) on a Monday. Is it feasible to take the train from Genoa to Santa M. spend some time there, take the bus to Portofino, and then return to Genoa spending time in each of the 3 places?

There is a 7:47 train from Genoa that arrives in Santa Margherita at 8:20.

The bus to Portofino leaves every 20 minutes and takes about 15 minutes to get to Piazza Martiri della Liberta in Portofino.

So, you could spend a couple of hours in Santa Margherita, then head over to Portofino around 10:30, spend another couple of hours there, have an early lunch, then head back to Santa Margherita in time for the 2:06 train back to Genoa, arriving there at 2:48, leaving you a few hours in Genoa.

Or you could extend your time in Portofino and take the 3:06, arriving in Genoa at 3:51.

Thanks for the info. We've always taken the ferry. I don't recall seeing any signs for the bus. Do you catch it at the top end of the street? We're planning on taking the ferry from S. Margherita to Rapallo, then back to Portofino. Do you know if the city bus also goes to Rapallo?

The bus between SML and Portofino travels between the train station at Santa Margherita and Piazza Martiri della Liberta in Portofino. It stops along the way at Covo di Nort Est and Paraggi.

Rapallo is the next stop on the train line, after Santa Margherita, only three minutes further.

There is a 7:47 train from Genoa that arrives in Santa Margherita at 8:20.

The bus to Portofino leaves every 20 minutes and takes about 15 minutes to get to Piazza Martiri della Liberta in Portofino.

So, you could spend a couple of hours in Santa Margherita, then head over to Portofino around 10:30, spend another couple of hours there, have an early lunch, then head back to Santa Margherita in time for the 2:06 train back to Genoa, arriving there at 2:48, leaving you a few hours in Genoa.

Or you could extend your time in Portofino and take the 3:06, arriving in Genoa at 3:51.

Thanks Euro. I think the 7.47 is just cutting it too fine, however your suggestion shows that if I get a train before 0900, I should still be able to spend a couple of hours in each place.

Archived