St Malo - 2010

almostnewtocruise

A slideshow of photos from St Malo, France - from our Azamara Journey cruise

I hope you'll like it!

Miriam :)

Hi Miriam,

I loved your pictures of St. Malo. Also your Lisbon pictures. When did you go? I looks like the weather was cold since everyone in your pictures look bundled up in jackets. We're on the Prisendam leaving next May so I'm a little concerned about the weather to expect. Which other ports did you see?

She went May 23, Azamara Journey Barcelona to Copenhagen.St Malo was cool and rainy in the am with a good breeze to boot, but the suyn came out in the afternoon. It was magic!

Oh yes, there were a few others on as well :-) But the rest of our ports were great weather wise, a few hours rain in london on arrival but our full day wa sunny and bright, Antwerp was also threatening (the group to Bruges got a shower) but calm seas and good weather for the time of year made this a keeper of a cruise.

Oh Yes -Hello Miriam from the United Nations trivia team!

Hi Joey!

We have here a saying : "the work of righteous people ( me?) is made through others (you?)" - so thanks for helping! ;)

(and I see you arrived home safely!)

Roberta - as Joey mentioned, we started on the 23rd of May in Barcelona and finished in Copenhagen on the 6th of June. You can see the exact itinerary and some of the sets (it's a work in progress and all the rest will follow soon!) at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigiush/collections/72157624287268326/

As to the weather, we had all kinds, but generally it was quite nice.. Barcelona warm.. Gibraltar - sunny and beautiful.. Lisbon - started a little cool, but warmed up (layers and a rucksack!).. St Malo and Antwerp cloudy with some drops here and there.. First evening in London it seemed as if it will never stop raining, but then the next morning - voila! Cloudless sky and even too warm for my taste! (wait until you see the photos!)

Amsterdam and Kiel canal - glorious weather again!

So.. I wouldn't really worry.. It's like a lottery anyway. So think positively and everything will be fine!

And thanks for liking our pictures!

Miriam

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A slideshow of photos from St Malo, France - from our Azamara Journey cruise

I hope you'll like it!

Miriam :)

Dear Miriam,

Thank you for filling us in and displaying these gorgeous photos. Really wonderful. It does look like it was cold and rainy that one day. Tell me, was this all of St Malo or another town too? And, did many people from your cruise go to Mt St Michel??? Just wondering what excursions may have been offered.

We will be on HAL Prisendam next May that does the French coast up to Belguim and Amsterdam as well.

Anything further, please let us hear.

BJRose;)

Dear Miriam,

We will be on HAL Prisendam next May that does the French coast up to Belguim and Amsterdam as well.

BJRose;)

We took a private tour to MSM & Dinan much cheaper & more relaxed than ship's tours

Book early as they get taken very fast ...we used Westcapades

I would go to MSM in the morning as it gets very busy there in the afternoon.

Food at MSM is very expensive so plan accordingly ..we saw many locals bring a picnics lunch & eat while sitting on the wall.

Lyn

Dear Miriam,

Thank you for filling us in and displaying these gorgeous photos. Really wonderful. It does look like it was cold and rainy that one day. Tell me, was this all of St Malo or another town too? And, did many people from your cruise go to Mt St Michel??? Just wondering what excursions may have been offered.

BJRose;)

Dear BJRose

I am so glad you liked our photos!

To your questions.. All of them are from St Malo. We were there on 29th of May this year, and while I can't say it was exactly cold - it wasn't warm either (and we had a touch of light rain too!). The old city of St Malo isn't too big, so it was easy just to walk around. Altogether it were enchanting few hours!

Our ship had indeed offered excursions to Mt. St Michel - which really doesn't need our recommendations. It's a unique place to visit!

But we've been there already few years ago (on land), so - this time - we passed.. But you should know that exploring Mt St Michel involves climbing (and obviously also descending!) a lot of stairs so if you have any problems walking - that may be not for you..

I am sorry that I don't remember what other excursions were offered, but I know that there were more.. That area is really lovely and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you'll decide to see :)

Our cruise also docked in Antwerp, Amsterdam, London, and Kiel Canal. I've posted links to our photos for these places too.. So if you want to "visit" them too.... ;)

(and by the way - Amsterdam was only few days after St Malo, and it was a really warm day - so you should be ready for every possibility :cool:)

Happy Sailings!!!

Miriam

I agree with almostnewtocruise...definitely make a point to get to Mt. Saint Michel if you can. I was there in early July and in my opinion, is a "must see" in France! (I was on a land-based tour...not a cruise) Defintely worth it...the photos I have look fake, b/c the place is incredible. Be prepared to walk 365 steps to the abbey. Then once you're in the abbey, there are a bunch of steps to get to the various rooms. I don't think we spent more than 3 hrs there (arriving mid/late morning).

Beware that everything in the town is expensive. We did not stop to shop on the way up to the abbey (the stores can be distracting...just keep walking...shop on the way down). We grabbed a bite to eat on the way down, at one of the "fast food" stands.

I went to St. Malo after MSM, and spent the night there. One street is nothing but creperies! :D It's a lovely area...I wish I had another day to do a little more exploring, as a rain storm ended our night early. I'm thinking of going back there when I make my return trip to France...even if it's for a day or two...if you have the time, definitely check it out...DEFINITELY see Mont St. Michel.

Have fun!

We took a private tour to MSM & Dinan much cheaper & more relaxed than ship's tours

Book early as they get taken very fast ...we used Westcapades

I would go to MSM in the morning as it gets very busy there in the afternoon.

Food at MSM is very expensive so plan accordingly ..we saw many locals bring a picnics lunch & eat while sitting on the wall.

Lyn

Dear Lyn:

Thanks for this contact info. We dock in St. Malo 8 am - 5 pm next June.

Do you mind answering a few Qs?

Did the driver/guide accompany you up to the abbey or just drop you off?

Did you JUST go on MSM on the tour -- or did it include anything else (St. Malo, Dinan, etc.).?

Do you recommend just going to MSM (in the morning, as you advise) -- or also having the driver/guide tour you elsewhere as well?

Thanks for any input.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Dear Lyn:

Thanks for this contact info. We dock in St. Malo 8 am - 5 pm next June.

Do you mind answering a few Qs?

Did the driver/guide accompany you up to the abbey or just drop you off?
They dropped us off there

Did you JUST go on MSM on the tour -- or did it include anything else (St. Malo, Dinan, etc.).?

We also went to Dinan where we were on our own then met the driver/guide in the parking area

Do you recommend just going to MSM (in the morning, as you advise) -- or also having the driver/guide tour you elsewhere as well?

Thanks for any input.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

There is an English guided tour in the afternoon but it is very very crowded then so if you do not mind the crowds do the afternoon trip to MSM.

Some of the group went to the Abbey and felt they did not need the guided tour

The tour operator also had ticket for sale a bit cheaper so you did not need to line up once you reached the abbey

We enjoyed the trip to Dinan but I am sure you could ask for other options.

They dropped us at the port which just across the road from St Malo walled city some went to the city & some of us went back to the ship.

We did see a local bus that went to MSM but how or where to get it I do not have that information

Be sure to wear good shoes it is a long way up to the abbey not for the faint of heart or people with mobility issues

Lyn

There is an English guided tour in the afternoon but it is very very crowded then so if you do not mind the crowds do the afternoon trip to MSM.

Some of the group went to the Abbey and felt they did not need the guided tour

The tour operator also had ticket for sale a bit cheaper so you did not need to line up once you reached the abbey

We enjoyed the trip to Dinan but I am sure you could ask for other options.

They dropped us at the port which just across the road from St Malo walled city some went to the city & some of us went back to the ship.

We did see a local bus that went to MSM but how or where to get it I do not have that information

Be sure to wear good shoes it is a long way up to the abbey not for the faint of heart or people with mobility issues

Lyn

Thanks a million, dear Lyn! This is so kind of you.

Do you remember the operator of the tour or contact info?

Again, THANKS!!

Mary-Lou

Archived