Help me choose a new camera!

My father was a serious photographer with his own darkroom, so I was always around professional quality photographs. I would like to be able to take photos that are good quality, but don't want to lug lenses and a 35 mm around. Can anyone guide me towards a good "point and shoot"? I am planning a once in a lifetime 3 week trip to China and am not really satisfied with my current camera. It is a Minolta Dimage Z5. What I love about it is the 12 X zoom. I REALLY want this on my new camera. What I don't like is that the colors are not always the best and the lens could be a lot sharper. I would also like a smaller camera that could fit in my purse. A friend recommended that I get a Lumix. Does anyone use this camera? I would really appreciate any advice!

My father was a serious photographer with his own darkroom, so I was always around professional quality photographs. I would like to be able to take photos that are good quality, but don't want to lug lenses and a 35 mm around. Can anyone guide me towards a good "point and shoot"? I am planning a once in a lifetime 3 week trip to China and am not really satisfied with my current camera. It is a Minolta Dimage Z5. What I love about it is the 12 X zoom. I REALLY want this on my new camera. What I don't like is that the colors are not always the best and the lens could be a lot sharper. I would also like a smaller camera that could fit in my purse. A friend recommended that I get a Lumix. Does anyone use this camera? I would really appreciate any advice!

I recently picked up a Sony HX5V 10 compact as a 24x7 camera. We discussed it thoroughly in another thread and I did a mini-review there. Here's the link to the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1158679

Here's the specific post to the mini-review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24135205&postcount=30

With follow-up questions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24161324&postcount=34

I am very pleased with the camera.

Dave

No one knows your own strengths/weakeness and or photo prowess better than yourself.

If what you want is a good all in one "travel" camera here is a recent very exhaustive review at dpreview, the best unbaised site IMHO. If the details dont' make sense to you just go to the end summary on page 24.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

If you want/must have a superzoom here is an older review. I would expet the newer model from each of the manufactures to be very similar:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

By all means these models aren't the only ones that will give you superior pictures, sharpness and colors. Almost any modern digital camera you buy from Canon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and others will outperform the best digital camera from 3 years go. Almost any 300 dollar P&S will outperform a 600 dollar camera from 3 years ago.

Electronics and Moore's law is just amazing in what it has done and will continue to do :D

Before I give my opinion let me state that I am an avid amateur photographer who over the past two years has tried almost EVERY point and shoot camera to come out on the market that was worth a darn. (Those that got good reviews and were in the $300-$500 range.) Here is what i've done: For the past two years, every two or three months I've gone to Frys and bought a camera. I then put it through its paces for about a week to decide if it was the one for me or not. Needless to say, I've returned about 10 cameras. It wasnt until I came across the Olympus E-P1 that I settled on a "Point and Shoot". And to be honest, the E-P1 is way more than a point and shoot. Its really a mini DSLR. A Micro Four Thirds camera to be exact.

So without further ado, my recommendation would be the Olympus E-P1 or E-P2 which is the newer version...although both are still sold. (Many people prefer the E-P1 which is only about a year old...over the E-P2 for a variety of reasons. AND it can be had at a bit of a discount these days) My E-P1 is pictured below. I also have a Canon 5D Mark II.

I am about to go on my first cruise on July 10th, 2010. And although I love my 21 Megapixel Canon 5D Mark II...I have decided to take my Olympus E-P1 on the trip instead. I decided this for a couple of reasons:

1. The EP-1 takes great photos if you put in a little effort ahead of time to learn how to use it.

2. The EP-1 is "Pocketable" but produces DSLR quality photos. I have a 17mm pancake lens on my EP-1 which makes it somewhat pocketable. However, it is best suited to be carried in a small purse, a jacket pocket, or a side cargo pocket on shorts or pants.

3. It has two lenses available for it. A 14-40mm zoom lens and a 17mm pancake lense. I would recommend getting both lenses. (It comes with one or the other) The 17mm lens is a great all-purpose fixed lens that allows the camera to fit into a pocket more easily. It's the one on the camera in the picture below.

4. The EP-1 has an Art filter feature which makes it easy to add interest to your pictures and video with the flick of a button. The filters include: 1. Pop Art (creates EXTRA VIVID and COLORFUL photos), 2. Soft Focus (creates SOFT and feminine feeling photos), 3. Pale and Light Color (produces a washed out look) 4. Light Tone (Drastically reduces color saturation for a bland/monotone effect) 5. Grainy Film (Produces grainy black and white photos) 6. Pin Hole ("Burns" each corner of the photo)

5. The EP-1 has built in 720P High Definition Video. (So does my Canon but it's not pocketable)

6. Everyone else will have their DSLRs while I'll have a cool retro-looking camera which is sure to spark more interest from the photography enthusiasts on board.

Below is a picture of my camera along with some sample photos from the Olympus E-P1. (*note- these photos were not all taken by me. I simply gathered a variety of travel oriented photos to illustrate what you will be able to produce with this camera)

Olympus.jpg

Sample14.jpg

Sample12.jpg

Sample13.jpg

Sample11.jpg

Sample10.jpg

The EP1 is really a nice new class of camera that offers almost everything that a DSLR does but in a smaller package. The picture quality is good, actually very good. Beyond the very slow focus and less perfect display for bright conditiosn Olympus really did a breakout job in creating this, but I think it will end up a lot like the netbook. The DSLR companies have too much already invested into glass and bodies to pursue this and the P&S will eat this market away longterm as their bread and butter is getting eating by the smartphone. The interchangable lenses are neat but honestly those that need them can live with the DSLR or should I say already are invested in them. For the price of a EP system and two lenses I can get a pretty damm good P&S or just a second body and used lense to compliment my existing DSLR body. That said Thom agrees with you and carries one too.

Before I give my opinion let me state that I am an avid amateur photographer who over the past two years has tried almost EVERY point and shoot camera to come out on the market that was worth a darn. (Those that got good reviews and were in the $300-$500 range.) Here is what i've done: For the past two years, every two or three months I've gone to Frys and bought a camera. I then put it through its paces for about a week to decide if it was the one for me or not. Needless to say, I've returned about 10 cameras. It wasnt until I came across the Olympus E-P1 that I settled on a "Point and Shoot". And to be honest, the E-P1 is way more than a point and shoot. Its really a mini DSLR. A Micro Four Thirds camera to be exact.

So without further ado, my recommendation would be the Olympus E-P1 or E-P2 which is the newer version...although both are still sold. (Many people prefer the E-P1 which is only about a year old...over the E-P2 for a variety of reasons. AND it can be had at a bit of a discount these days) My E-P1 is pictured below. I also have a Canon 5D Mark II.

I am about to go on my first cruise on July 10th, 2010. And although I love my 21 Megapixel Canon 5D Mark II...I have decided to take my Olympus E-P1 on the trip instead. I decided this for a couple of reasons:

1. The EP-1 takes great photos if you put in a little effort ahead of time to learn how to use it.

2. The EP-1 is "Pocketable" but produces DSLR quality photos. I have a 17mm pancake lens on my EP-1 which makes it somewhat pocketable. However, it is best suited to be carried in a small purse, a jacket pocket, or a side cargo pocket on shorts or pants.

3. It has two lenses available for it. A 14-40mm zoom lens and a 17mm pancake lense. I would recommend getting both lenses. (It comes with one or the other) The 17mm lens is a great all-purpose fixed lens that allows the camera to fit into a pocket more easily. It's the one on the camera in the picture below.

4. The EP-1 has an Art filter feature which makes it easy to add interest to your pictures and video with the flick of a button. The filters include: 1. Pop Art (creates EXTRA VIVID and COLORFUL photos), 2. Soft Focus (creates SOFT and feminine feeling photos), 3. Pale and Light Color (produces a washed out look) 4. Light Tone (Drastically reduces color saturation for a bland/monotone effect) 5. Grainy Film (Produces grainy black and white photos) 6. Pin Hole ("Burns" each corner of the photo)

5. The EP-1 has built in 720P High Definition Video. (So does my Canon but it's not pocketable)

6. Everyone else will have their DSLRs while I'll have a cool retro-looking camera which is sure to spark more interest from the photography enthusiasts on board.

Below is a picture of my camera along with some sample photos from the Olympus E-P1. (*note- these photos were not all taken by me. I simply gathered a variety of travel oriented photos to illustrate what you will be able to produce with this camera)

Olympus.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input. The dpreview information is pretty comprehensive and very helpful. I've been doing a lot of reading and had pretty much decided to get the Canon SX210 until I went and looked at one. I absolutely hate the flash and the zoom control, so I'm back to researching. I kind of liked the controls and the feel of the Canon SX120, even though it's quite a bit bigger than what I was looking for. I hadn't read anything about this camera and just happened to see it -- I was wondering why it's so much cheaper than the others. So I'm still very undecided............... My current camera has a 35 - 420 mm focal range, and I can't seem to find anything anywhere close to that.

....... My current camera has a 35 - 420 mm focal range, and I can't seem to find anything anywhere close to that.

You might look at either the Panasonic DMC-FZ35 which has a 27-486mm range (35mm camera equivalent) or the Canon SX20 IS which has a 28-560mm range. Both cameras are rated well by users as you can see at the Amazon links. I have personal experience with the previous Panasonic model FZ28 which is almost like the FZ35 and I really liked it. These 2 cameras both offer both a wider angle & longer telephoto than you mention so thought they might appeal to you.

Both cameras are larger than the SX210 or SX120 you mentioned, but smaller than a single lens reflex. The Panasonic would come closest in size to your Dimage Z5. Neither the SX210 nor SX120 has an eye-level viewfinder rather relying solely on the LCD for framing, composition, etc. I find taking pictures in bright daylight with LCD only cameras frustrating because the sun makes it nearly impossible to see the display. Both cameras linked above have eye-level viewfinders in additional to the LCD.

Further to my last message, you may also want to consider:

Olympus SP-590UZ has 26-676mm range and about the size of Panasonic’s FZ35. I have a friend who loves her 590UZ.

Nikon P100 has 26-678mm range and the same size as Canon’s SX20.

If you want a smaller size camera and can live without the eye-level viewfinder, look at the travel zooms linked in Chipmaster’s post above. I have used the Panasonic models & really like them except for the lack of eye-level viewfinders.... which all of the travel zooms lack. They also have nice zoom ranges but max out between 250-390mm.

A good way to compare all camera features side-by-side is to go to dpreview.com’s Side-by-Side comparison page, select models & click “Compare…” Whichever camera you decide on, make sure you have enough memory card storage space for your trip. Note that the cameras I mentioned in my 2 posts use both SD & SDHC Memory Cards except the Olympus which uses either XD Picture Cards or microSD Cards.

Hope this info helps. If you want to contact me with any specific questions, my email address is LynnObie at mail dot com. Make obvious changes….(edited here to avoid spammers).

I have a Lumix Z3 and it takes great pics. But here is my problem - and it's not just with this camera - I see it on a lot of the new cameras - there is no viewfinder. The whole back is the screen and if it's sunny you can't see a darned thing that you are taking a picture of. Maybe someone here can tell me what I can do to correct that but at least with my old camera there was a viewfinder and if it was sunny out i could look through that and see.

I have a Lumix Z3 and it takes great pics. But here is my problem - and it's not just with this camera - I see it on a lot of the new cameras - there is no viewfinder. The whole back is the screen and if it's sunny you can't see a darned thing that you are taking a picture of.....

Pat... Have you seen the Delkin Pop-Up LCD Shade? I have used it, and it helps but doesn't completely solve this problem. I addressed your exact issue in my camera suggestions above. The best solution is to get a camera with eye-level viewfinder. Short of buying another camera, you might want to try a pop-up lcd shade. My link takes you to the 3” black version. These are available in either black or silver & 2.5”, 2.7” or 3” sizes. I believe your camera might be the ZS3 which has a 3” LCD.

I'm waiting for the Sony HX-1 to go on sale. It has a viewfinder - one of my musts. I have a Fujifilm WP-Z (wanted a waterproof camera to take to the beach, use in the rain, etc.) and only having the LCD drives me nuts. It takes pretty good photos though and is tiny so I can carry it with me all of the time.

Neither the SX210 nor SX120 has an eye-level viewfinder rather relying solely on the LCD for framing, composition, etc. I find taking pictures in bright daylight with LCD only cameras frustrating because the sun makes it nearly impossible to see the display.

Thanks for your input, Lynn. Yes, I'm very concerned about only having an LCD. I ALWAYS use the viewfinder on my camera, and am not sure I can manage without it. I've tried using my son's camera with an LCD and have had a lot of trouble with it. I haven't yet seen the sunshade you mentioned. This camera decision is so difficult, and I'm trying to prioritize what I want most and what I can compromise on. I know that I definitely want a decent zoom -- I'm used to having it and I love it. Although my Dimage is not as big as a SLR, I would really like something smaller that could fit in my purse. I also carry a camcorder when I travel (yes, I know some of the newer cameras can take fairly decent video, but my camcorder has a hard drive which can hold a ton and it's capable of much better videos than the P&S cameras I've seen) and I don't like having to carry a big bag for everything. So, I think a small size is also a priority, which kind of leaves out a viewfinder -- guess I'm thinking if I can't see I'll just aim the camera and hope for the best! -- Not a good strategy I guess... So I really don't know what I'm going to do, but I need to make a decision soon because my trip to China is in less than 3 weeks.... I wish I could find the perfect camera!

If you decide to stay with the dedicated movie camera then I'd suggest you consider either the Panasonic ZS3 or ZS7 along with a Delkin LCD Shade mentioned above. You will have a little shorter zoom range than you now have but still decent at 25-300mm + the smaller size camera. If you get the ZS3 or ZS7, this is a decent carrying case that has a pocket to hold an extra battery & memory card should you like.

Since I've taken excellent quality videos with the Panasonic cameras, I can suggest you might consider getting the Panasonic FZ35 and a couple of large capacity "class 6" SD cards. This way you'd be taking just one camera plus have the 27-486mm zoom range. I take videos with the best AVCHD setting & can get at least 2 hours on a 16GB class 6 card like this, or longer with a somewhat lower resolution setting. The faster class 6 cards are recommended for high definition video.

Whatever you decide, good luck & have a wonderful trip!

Any reason you mentioned those 2 Panasonics and not the ZS5? After reading and reading and reading and reading some more (I'm tired of reading and am almost at the "just get anything point"...lol) I think I've narrowed my choice to either the Panasonic ZS5 or the Nikon S8000. I'm going to go to a camera store tomorrow and look at them again. I don't need a lot of manual controls since I probably will never use them -- I just want something that will give me a good sharp color rich picture (like those beautiful photos submitted by Polo Jankins) with little effort on my part. But maybe that's too much to ask of a compact P&S. Thanks again for the heads up on the LCD shade, I will check that out. On one of the review sites (maybe DPReview) they mentioned the Nikon having a screen that was easier to see and the ZS5 being a little more difficult to view than most.

I think you'd probably be as happy with either the ZS3, ZS7 or S8000 which all have 3" LCD screens that are both larger & have higer resolution than the ZS5 LCD making them easier to see outdoors. Dpreview mentions this in their various articles when you read them carefully. That's the main reason why I prefer either the ZS3 or ZS7 over the ZS5.... another being the AVCHD high definition video capability on both ZS3 & ZS5 allowing for smaller file sizes on high def movies giving more run-time on each SDHC card.

For myself, the main advantage in the Panasonics over the Nikon is the zoom range starting at a very wide angle 25mm. I take many photos indoors where a true wide angle lets me include larger groups or more of a given room. There's a very noticeable difference in what can be included when starting at 25mm rather than the Nikon's 30mm.

I think all 3 Panasonic's and the Nikon can take very nice pictures and it will come down to personal preferences & cost but you may want to consider whether the differences I mentioned are important to you. If you decide you want the pop-up LCD shade, remember to get either the 2.7" for ZS5 or the 3.0" for any of the other 3 cameras mentioned. Also, when you go to the store, keep in mind that all 3 Panasonic models share the same body. I mention this in case the store you visit has only 1 of the 3 in stock because the look & feel of all 3 ZS models is practically the same should you decide to order a different model than you see at the store.

I hope this helps you decide on what will work best for you. Good luck & enjoy! :)

I Prefer The Nikon Brand.

I have the Nikon D40 and it is good for beginners if you are looking for this. I also like their small Coolpixs as backups for fast pocket shots.

I like the quality and ease of handling of the cameras.

I get comments all the time of what camera I used to take these pictures.

Just an afterthought...

With some of the superzooms offering 600mm+ equivalent focal lengths, keep in mind that hand-holding any camera (even with stabilization) at over 400mm is difficult at best. Add to that the slow shutter speeds needed in all but the best light and the often-fuzzy long end of the zoom range will seldom produce satisfying results. Unless you plan on toting a tripod, the value of the long end of the zoom needs to be considered carefully.

Dave

The latest review of current SuperZoom cameras was just released today by dpreview.com. This should be of interest for anyone looking at one of these "bridge" cameras between normal Point-and-Shoot & Digital Single Lens Reflex.

This link takes you to the dpreview "conclusions" page showing their #1-3 picks....

As the review mentions... You should read the individual detailed reviews of each of these 3 highest rated models to see which one, if any, fits your wants & needs. The detailed reviews are linked under each model name above. For example, the Canon & Nikon are both the same size while the Panasonic is smallest & lightest to carry. This unbiased review also mentions that almost all models tested produce fairly good results.

While Dave (Pierces) makes a good point above that, at max zoom, the camera needs to be held very steady, I have used one of these at max zoom without a tripod with excellent results.

Happy reading!:)

• 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to purchase a camera.

This is a web site that I have used to do the research for the digital camera I have purchased. I first narrow down the choices and then I will look at the final choices in a store so that I can get a sense of how they will feel and how easy they will be able to use.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Keith

Tied for #1-#2: Panasonic FZ35 & Canon SX20 IS

:)

dpreview is a great site andI use it before trying a few of their top choices in a store.

I looked at Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic a little over a year ago and picked the FZ28, which has now been replaced by the FZ35. I have used it for the past year and am very happy with it. The optical image stabilizer works well and allows great zoom performance at 18x; you just have to be patient and allow the camera to focus at full zoom. The HD movies turn out great. It was the only ~$400 point and shoot camera that had the thread to allow me to put filters on. I used it extensively in Antarctica. Check out the results:

http://www.youtube.com/share?p=544207CBE0CF6593

The FFZ35 is a slightly improved version.

There is a third choice, Panasonic ZS6. It is not widley available. It is the same as the ZS5 but with the better LCD (3 inches vs 2.7). It is ONLY available at COSTCO or Amazon.com. I got mine at COSTCO and paid less than the cost of the ZS5 and also got a free case (not very impressive) and a 2 GB SDHC card.

In fact, I have three but use two! A Panasonic FX01 Lumix with 3x zoom; it is tiny, fits in a shirt pocket (this is a couple of years old. The other is a new Panasonic DMC-ZS1 with a 12x optical zoom, fits in a shirt pocket but is a bit tight. Both have image stabilization. Frankly, I don't worry about the megapixels....the FX01 has 6MP; the ZS1 has 12MP!

I do a bit of printing...and even from the FX01 have had 12x18 prints made from only a portion of the image. At arms length one cannot see any breaking up of the image! I have framed and sold such pictures. (I'm not a pro but have been asked by casual acquaintances to do this for them to hang in their homes!) Such is the quality.

Both of the cameras have Leica optics; one cannot ask for better!

As with your Dad, I was involved with the hobby for many years..... darkroom, smelly and stained fingers, and all. I even had pictures published in camera magazines , of old.:D

Now: the most important thing you can do is really think about what you will really want from the camera. For instance, do you ever expect to use it for video? I know I do not! How big are you going to want to print a picture? Be aware: many picture takers print a few and view the rest on their computer monitor.

I carry a laptop on my cruises. On sea days I love to sit on the balcony with an umbrella shielding the light and edit my pictures. I then add titles when the images are still fresh in my mind. At the end of the cruise, Princess (my line of choice) generally offers prints at about 15 cents. I'll put 50 or 60 of them on a CD and then have them printed to show anyone interested.

Not to pat my own back....I give copies of the fully edited pictures. There were about 350 from last year's 33 day Aegean - Mediterranean cruise...all with titles. Friends and relatives will actually view them and have called to tell me how much they enjoyed the slide show. (One day, I'll even add music.)

I realize this reply is long winded but to make a choice you've gotta' realize what YOU want from the camera.

Oh yeah; one suggestion. Whatever camera you select....be certain to get a bunch of memory cards rather than one huge capacity card. Memory cards do fail, not often, but if all your irreplaceable images are on just one card....need I say more?

On that 33 day cruise I carried a 2.0GB card for each port. And a trick: at night, before the rush to make a shore excursion, take a piece of paper and print in big, bold letters the name of the port, the date, etc and have that be the first picture you take. It will identify the memory card.

One more thing: always have a spare, fully charged battery with you and I also carry a spare memory card. I had a Dimage Z6 (gave it to my daughter) and one of the very big advantages was the fact that it used AA batteries. I carried a bunch of rechargeables and a charger; never ran out of power....and I also had a Minolta auxiliary flash gun.

Hope this is of some help.

beege1936 worldtravelers1@hotmail.com

And a trick: at night, before the rush to make a shore excursion, take a piece of paper and print in big, bold letters the name of the port, the date, etc and have that be the first picture you take. It will identify the memory card.

Hope this is of some help.

beege1936 worldtravelers1@hotmail.com

I start the day by taking a picture of the Daily Program that the cruise staff slips under the door. That way I can tell when that day's pictures start eevn if I use the previous day's card.

Archived