I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Dave...do you just get in the car, drive, and if you see a photo op(something that catches your eye) just stop and shoot? Do you ask owners of property permission?

We have relatives in town and, yes we did a drive-about looking for interesting shots. If don't shoot anything that isn't accessible from public view (if you don't want your mailbox photographed, put it in the back yard! :D), permission isn't an issue. If I saw a cool building or something located where I couldn't get a good shot from the road, I would, of course, ask permission.

I plan on doing more of this now that Georgia looks less like Siberia.

Dave

I saw this guy perched in a tree next to the road overlooking a swamp. Turned around and went back to take a pic. So glad I did. I caught him eying up his lunch and swooping down to pick up a mouse.

Great shots!

What a neat sequence not only to capture but to witness with the hawk - always interesting to see nature in action.

I got a chance to snap a few more around town testing out my new little camera in good daylight...still with just the kit lens - and not a bad kit lens at all, I must say! Here's some scenery from around my town...all shots NEX3, 18-55mm kit lens, no filters, no post processing, taken around the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton, FL:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Haven't tried these for years...

Need to find a spot with less light pollution.

f/8 - 10m - ISO100

p1057374754-4.jpg

Dave

I think these are the neatest type of pictures you can take! I want to try one one of these days.

For the trails that go in a circle, how long do you think the shutter was open?

I think these are the neatest type of pictures you can take! I want to try one one of these days.

For the trails that go in a circle, how long do you think the shutter was open?

A full circle would be difficult and could only be managed near the poles during the winter (24 hrs of darkness needed). The appearance of a full circle can be achieved by pointing the camera at the celestial north or south pole and exposing for 6-8 hours or making multiple shorter exposures and using an image stacking program to combine them. Actually, an exposure or combination of exposures totaling less than an hour can give the impression of circular trails.

Also remember little details like fresh batteries or an AC adapter. I was testing a programmable remote with the image above and am itching to try stacking ten five-minute exposures.

Dave

A full circle would be difficult and could only be managed near the poles during the winter (24 hrs of darkness needed). The appearance of a full circle can be achieved by pointing the camera at the celestial north or south pole and exposing for 6-8 hours or making multiple shorter exposures and using an image stacking program to combine them. Actually, an exposure or combination of exposures totaling less than an hour can give the impression of circular trails.

Also remember little details like fresh batteries or an AC adapter. I was testing a programmable remote with the image above and am itching to try stacking ten five-minute exposures.

Dave

Dave - What was the exposure time for your shot? The EXIF data says 599 seconds but the star trails would seem to be longer than 10 minutes.

Bob

Dave - What was the exposure time for your shot? The EXIF data says 599 seconds but the star trails would seem to be longer than 10 minutes.

Bob

50mm lens acts as a 75mm on the A700 so the trails are actually shorter than they appear. I'm going to try a multiple-shot northern exposure with my 20mm f/2.8 tonight..weather permitting.

Dave

It felt good to get outside and shoot....

That's why I started this thread! That's what people are supposed to do...have fun taking photos!

And thanks for the earlier compliment!

Dave

1 in the morning, just outside in front of my house, I wanted to do a little night shot - super dark conditions (pretty much nothing in this shot could be seen with the naked eye save the two lights on the distant houses). Using an Osawa (Pentax K mount) 28mm F2.8 lens at F8, manually focused, ISO800, I did an in-camera HDR exposure using 7,15, and 30 second exposures (stacked in camera), then pushed the photo 2 more stops in post-processing for an ISo3200 equivalent:

original.jpg

I know - a lot of work for a regular-looking result - but I love the idea of shooting a scene that is essentially pitch-black to the eye, and finding all kinds of interesting detail, light, and color hidden within. It's also interesting how much light is actually bleeding around that is beyond our human visual range - gives you some idea of how an animal with good night vision might be seeing the night landscape.

I also decided to snap a shot of my house in the night, same lens, same F stop, same ISO:

original.jpg

I wish I could get out there and do star trail shots...but in Florida we have huge deadly light pollution, high humidity, frequent cloud cover, and bad haze...we're lucky to see 10 stars in the whole sky.

I love all these night shots. Zackie, your first one is particularly beautiful.

Jen, you have a lovely daughter and both shots are beautiful. :)

Roff, your photoshop work was really interesting. I keep going back to look at it.