Bigger vs Better

PROCRUISE

Just read some of the initial reviews of the NCL Epic. Seems most liked the additional activities and eating venues but not much good said about the cabin size, bathroom set up and balconies.

Makes me wonder what is most important to loyal CCL passengers. We don't want any bigger ships and probably don't really need circus tents and bowling alleys. Just give us really nice cabins/balconies, the same great food and service, along with some varied itineraries and some 10 day cruises and we'll be happy. How about the rest of you?

Just read some of the initial reviews of the NCL Epic. Seems most liked the additional activities and eating venues but not much good said about the cabin size, bathroom set up and balconies.

Makes me wonder what is most important to loyal CCL passengers. We don't want any bigger ships and probably don't really need circus tents and bowling alleys. Just give us really nice cabins/balconies, the same great food and service, along with some varied itineraries and some 10 day cruises and we'll be happy. How about the rest of you?

You've pretty much summed up my feelings on the matter.

I'm not a ports guy so they really aren't that important to me but I would LOVE new itineraries that let the ships stretch their legs a bit.

Carnival has always had some of the most generous cabin sizes. I understand that the Epic has cabins as small as 100 sq ft! As the comedians say, you'd have to go outside to change your mind!!!

:)

I completely disagree...I'm awaiting the first 300K ship...They could name it the "Spartan" lol

I really got bored quick on my 3 port day 7 day cruise, so much so that the next cruise I plan to book will the victory. Always wondered why carnival is lacking the entertainment dept compared to other lines...

LOL @ Mach ( the comedian quote) !! I have to agree with you too...I am becoming more about sea days and less about ports. I would like to have an itinerary with more sea days (with a stop at Half Moon Cay on the way home..LOL). I am happy with the cabins (trying our first balcony in March) and love the food. I fully admit to not knowing what the old days were like as I am new to cruising. I am very content with Carnival and love the value for my money.

Jen

I have to agree I like how Carnival is. I think some 10 day cruises would be good.

I do like the ports though because I love to see new places and different cultures.

As far as on board I am happy with what Carnival offers. If my DH or I find nothing to do on the caper we are delighted. That means us time or reading books.

I don't like being on the mega ships. They seem more crowded to me. I like the spirit class best. I have no interest in rock climbing or wave surfing at sea. I'm there for the ports of call and the ship experience. Bigger is not for me. Princess offers a 10 day to Alaska out of San Francisco that we took a few years ago. It would be nice to see more 10 day cruise options from CCL too but maybe since Princess does them and is CCL owned CCL does not see the need to do 10 day cruises too.

You've pretty much summed up my feelings on the matter.

I'm not a ports guy so they really aren't that important to me but I would LOVE new itineraries that let the ships stretch their legs a bit.

Carnival has always had some of the most generous cabin sizes. I understand that the Epic has cabins as small as 100 sq ft! As the comedians say, you'd have to go outside to change your mind!!!

i swing both ways... new ports, old ports, and sea days... i really love sea days... but i think epic sort of excelled where the other lines are now failing: single cruisers... isntead of making them feel unwelcome (read: carnival) by dumping the various "discounts" of the single supplement, the 100 sq cabins you speak of are designed for single travelers, contain a double bed, water closet, and tv as typical, as well as access to a private lounge with a bar and big screen tv's... with absolutely no single supplement...

bigger isn't always better... id take a smaller ship, and better service/food/overall experiance over a ship like oasis which is glutton.

granted, the epic is reallly, reallllllllllllllly, ugly.

(and yea i am slightly excited that we're leaving from the same terminal as the epic on the 2nd, and will get a glimpse of all the christening activities)

I'm fairly easy to please as a cruiser. I would love to see some 10 day cruises too. The one thing that makes me happiest when cruising is being on a ship that everything seems to fall into place and the staff seem to really enjoy their jobs. The little greetings and laughter you hear from the staff as they perform their jobs means alot to me. So far the ship that has given me that experience from start to finish has been the Miracle. Nothing has come close to that experience. It's hard to explain but once you experience it you will know it.

Honestly if it weren't for this board I'd have no idea what the "other" cruiselines are buiding etc. I don't worry about what the guy next door is building as long as I'm happy with what I have :) Carnival does that for me at this point :)

Let's see...would I choose a ship with a pool and waterslide or a ship with pool, waterslide, rock wall, flowrider, outdoor theatre, bowling alley, ice skating rink, merry go round and all the other stuff the new ships have?

My choice is the ship with the most options available.

After sailing RCCL Freedom of the Seas, I was bored with the lack of options on the Carnival Freedom.

IMO of course.

As long as they have some activities during the sea days I am fine.

Not interested in rock climbing or bowling at sea.

Free style dining has zero appeal to me and DW. Like to get to know our tablemates and a set time for dinner allows us to plan our evening entertainment.

I love sea days also and its not the biggger ships i mind its the more passengers they stuff on the bigger ships (passenger to space ratio). I still love the Spirit class ships best but my next favorite would be the smaller Fantasy class. I am doing the 7 day 6 port Victory cruise in August and will let you know how i feel about a all port cruise when i get back. I don't go for the Rock Climbing, Bowling Alley crap either....just give me some Caribbean music and a drink in hand and friends to hang with and im happy!

I totally agree...though I don't mind sleeping in a relatively small space, those tiny cabins on NCL seem to be getting smaller, yikes!

And wouldn't some fresh itineraries be lovely??

I can tell you that Carnival is hearing our wants for longer cruises from differing ports.

John Heald informed me that he has told the folks at the highest levels of Carnival what we would like to see happen with the itineraries.

I'm hoping that in the relatively near future we'll be hearing about changes for at least one port...

Hey Mach....What's up buddy????

I have mentioned it more than once that Carnival should try taking the ships that do the 4-5-5 night ships like the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Elation, Destiny and so on and do this.

Four times a year run an itinerary that does a 10 and 11 night cruise. That would be 44 days of the year. I'll bet y'all in Texas would love it. I know I would love to hop on the Inspiration out of Tampa and maybe do Coz, Costa Maya, Costa Rica, Panama Canal and Columbia....Or what ever...

Just think of an 11 night cruise from Galveston that went to Antigua and Tortola....

I did an 11 nighter out of Tampa on a Celebrity ship that did a Southern Caribbean and it was great. Also a 10 nighter on HAL.

It is time to start lobbying for these.

I'd bet real money they'd fill these cruises fast.....

I think the gurus at Carnival are missing the boat on this one.....;)

I can tell you that Carnival is hearing our wants for longer cruises from differing ports.

John Heald informed me that he has told the folks at the highest levels of Carnival what we would like to see happen with the itineraries.

I'm hoping that in the relatively near future we'll be hearing about changes for at least one port...

Four sea days on a 9 day cruise would be awesome and i would like to stay in certain ports overnight if they could ever pull that off!

Hey Mach....What's up buddy????

I have mentioned it more than once that Carnival should try taking the ships that do the 4-5-5 night ships like the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Elation, Destiny and so on and do this.

Four times a year run an itinerary that does a 10 and 11 night cruise. That would be 44 days of the year. I'll bet y'all in Texas would love it. I know I would love to hop on the Inspiration out of Tampa and maybe do Coz, Costa Maya, Costa Rica, Panama Canal and Columbia....Or what ever...

Just think of an 11 night cruise from Galveston that went to Antigua and Tortola....

I did an 11 nighter out of Tampa on a Celebrity ship that did a Southern Caribbean and it was great. Also a 10 nighter on HAL.

It is time to start lobbying for these.

I'd bet real money they'd fill these cruises fast.....

I think the gurus at Carnival are missing the boat on this one.....;)

I agree! With the cost of airfare being a large portion of our cruises it makes more sense for us to take longer cruises. We fly into each port 2 days early just to stretch our vacations. I'd much rather spend that extra day on a ship. Each fall we book one of the 8 day cruises without even considering other ships because we want that extra day before our realirt of winter sets in here. We'd be all over a 9 or 10 day cruise in the fall. I wouldn't even care if they ran the usual 3 port stops on a 10 day cruise as it would give a balance of sea days port day and more sea days :)

i swing both ways... new ports, old ports, and sea days... i really love sea days... but i think epic sort of excelled where the other lines are now failing: single cruisers... isntead of making them feel unwelcome (read: carnival) by dumping the various "discounts" of the single supplement, the 100 sq cabins you speak of are designed for single travelers, contain a double bed, water closet, and tv as typical, as well as access to a private lounge with a bar and big screen tv's... with absolutely no single supplement...

bigger isn't always better... id take a smaller ship, and better service/food/overall experiance over a ship like oasis which is glutton.

granted, the epic is reallly, reallllllllllllllly, ugly.

(and yea i am slightly excited that we're leaving from the same terminal as the epic on the 2nd, and will get a glimpse of all the christening activities)

From what I have read those cabins didn't start out as single cabins, they were for budget cruisers. That didn't fly so they changed them to singles. Epic made lemonade out of lemons. ;)

I would like to see some new ports. We loved the 9 day Dream cruise, even though we missed San Juan.

Galveston is not our favorite port but would drive there if the Magic was going somewhere we haven't been, as it is we have no desire to try out the new ship. Heald is hinting at "new" features on the Magic but I don't think they will be that "new", maybe a better layout on the Lido. I think Carnival missed the chance to make the Dream class more interesting. Love the Serenity area and the Promenade deck going all the way around the ship, but these are hardly "new" ideas.

May give RCCL a try out of NOLA. Ports might be the same but the ship will be different.

From what I have read those cabins didn't start out as single cabins, they were for budget cruisers. That didn't fly so they changed them to singles. Epic made lemonade out of lemons. ;)

Correct!!

And not just lemonade . . . but the kind with a 'kick'. :D

O

Those cabins have certainly become a popular option for the solo passenger who desires to try out NCL, and this new vessel.

Archived