Ground transportation (port to port) question

Silverback969

I've seen lots of questions and answers about how to get back and forth between airport and seaport. I have a similar, but different question--if it's already been addressed somewhere else, I do apologize--searched but didn't find.

My wife and I have a B2B that originates in Ft. Lauderdale but terminates in Miami.:confused: We usually drive to the port and leave the car in the parking deck--drive and park is cheaper than round-trip air, and we usually detour to spend a few hours or an overnight with friends/family.:) Normally, no problem--round-trips wind up in the same place, and the car is waiting for us when we get disembark. Not so on this one.

Celebrity claims they can't arrange ground transportation for us, because we don't have a connecting flight. Right--we don't wanna go to the airport, because that's not where our car is--we wanna go to the SEAport. So.... I'm sure we're not the first cruisers to run across this situation, and I HATE to re-invent the wheel:mad:. I can pretty easily think of one solution--taxi--but I just can't help but think there's a better, more reasonably priced solution.;)

Eternal gratitude to all who offer up good solutions.:cool:

TNX

Silverback

SAS transport. We have used them to get from FLL to Miami hotel and Miami seaport to FLL. They should be able to do seaport to seaport too. It is usually a shared ride, so you may have to go to the airport inbetween. Give them an email or call. ridesas dot com

My wife and I have a B2B that originates in Ft. Lauderdale but terminates in Miami.:confused: We usually drive to the port and leave the car in the parking deck--drive and park is cheaper than round-trip air,

Are you driving to the port and parking there?

As far as I know there is no Celebrity ship that cruises from one and winds up in the other??

We will be cruising out of Port Everglades for a B2B2B and then go from Constellation to Miami for a cruise on Eclipse. We don't park at the port because $20 per day will get you a hotel and free parking and one way shuttle.

This year we left our car at a hotel, parked free for a month and took a taxi back to the hotel. We drove to Miami and parked there for another month while we cruised. A limo will cost $75.00 one way. SAS should be able to get you between ports. Nothing is going to be cheap. There is a train between the airports but a taxi is needed to get to the ship.

Celebrity won't help us either... we were hoping free shuttles would be available between ports for the Elite + program.

Our Autumn 2010 Cruising Odyssey November 6 to December 18

b375dce056e165b0e4ec8febac1a0138.png90fe1743df36ca0bee2e90e31900e95f.png

f8a9b24574493a47d134d2f043a8d234.pngf4bbdfbe1fe4dc1944982dfac9053314.png

As far as I know there is no Celebrity ship that cruises from one and winds up in the other??

I didn't think so, either, but our cruise documents from Celebrity and our TA eventually convinced us that this one does. Infinity from Port Everglades to LA via Panama Canal, return through Panama Canal to Miami. Yeah, what a way to run a cruise line.

I've been a computer guy--including software development and project management--all my adult life, and, by force of habit, I keep looking for a better solution. And the Project Manager inside my head keeps asking "Why are they putting you out someplace other than where you got on??? And, why are they doing that, and then not helping you get back to where you got on?" There's a TON of good will to be gleaned by doing smart in the way of customer relations, because I'm relatively certain my wife and I aren't the only ones who are doing this particular little do-si-do.

This will be our first time on Celebrity, and we're so looking forward to it. I just hope this thing with different ports doesn't turn into a genuine goat rope. We've cruised enough, on enough different lines, that we don't sweat the small stuff--we just enjoy the big stuff, and look forward to the next cruise. We're just hoping this little difference of embark/disembark ports is really nothing more than a minor glitch.

Well....

Not sure just what we have going on here. I did a couple of searches and, from the results of the searches, the Infinity is departing for Los Angeles on November 7th, leaving from BOTH Ft. Lauderdale AND Miami. Pretty sure the results of one of the searches is completely wrong.

Gonna have to clarify this with Celebrity.

Regardless, thanks to all who have responded. I'll let you know what Celebrity has to say.

Well....

Not sure just what we have going on here. I did a couple of searches and, from the results of the searches, the Infinity is departing for Los Angeles on November 7th, leaving from BOTH Ft. Lauderdale AND Miami. Pretty sure the results of one of the searches is completely wrong.

Gonna have to clarify this with Celebrity.

Regardless, thanks to all who have responded. I'll let you know what Celebrity has to say.

So your B2B leaves Ft Lauderdale, cruises to Los Angeles and returns to MIA. It will then continue to South America.

You want to leave your car in FLL and upon returning, get from Infinity in Miami back to FLL.

Your best bet seems to be SAS for half the price of a limo.

Here is the link: http://www.ridesas.com/

I didn't think so, either, but our cruise documents from Celebrity and our TA eventually convinced us that this one does. Infinity from Port Everglades to LA via Panama Canal, return through Panama Canal to Miami. Yeah, what a way to run a cruise line.

I've been a computer guy--including software development and project management--all my adult life, and, by force of habit, I keep looking for a better solution. And the Project Manager inside my head keeps asking "Why are they putting you out someplace other than where you got on??? And, why are they doing that, and then not helping you get back to where you got on?" There's a TON of good will to be gleaned by doing smart in the way of customer relations, because I'm relatively certain my wife and I aren't the only ones who are doing this particular little do-si-do.

This will be our first time on Celebrity, and we're so looking forward to it. I just hope this thing with different ports doesn't turn into a genuine goat rope. We've cruised enough, on enough different lines, that we don't sweat the small stuff--we just enjoy the big stuff, and look forward to the next cruise. We're just hoping this little difference of embark/disembark ports is really nothing more than a minor glitch.

You're doing two separate cruises, right? So they are not starting in one port and dropping you in another (except that both cruise are not round-trip). SAS or http://goairportshuttle.com/ are good companies. You can get a private car from Go Shuttle.

We don't park at the port because $20 per day will get you a hotel and free parking and one way shuttle.

This year we left our car at a hotel, parked free for a month and took a taxi back to the hotel.

Xellent: We are doing 11 nights on Equinox in April and would love to know the hotel that's letting you park and shuttle. Which is it, please?

Thanks to all. Like I said, I need to check w/ Celebrity on the REAL departure port for Infinity. Somehow, I just don't see it departing Ft. Lauderdale, then stopping in Miami--same day--to embark more passengers, then continuing with the remainder of the cruise.

Depending on the anser we get, the need for ground transportation may have just gone right down the drain.;)

Again, thanks for sharing your info.

Silverback

Thanks to all. Like I said, I need to check w/ Celebrity on the REAL departure port for Infinity. Somehow, I just don't see it departing Ft. Lauderdale, then stopping in Miami--same day--to embark more passengers, then continuing with the remainder of the cruise.

Depending on the anser we get, the need for ground transportation may have just gone right down the drain.;)

Again, thanks for sharing your info.

Silverback

You still have not stated which B2B cruises you have booked but I'm guessing the Panama Canal B2B in November:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, George Town, Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Colombia, Panama Canal (Cruising), Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Mexico, Acapulco, Mexico, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Los Angeles, California ~ Los Angeles, California, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Acapulco, Mexico, Huatulco, Mexico, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Panama Canal (Cruising), Colon, Panama, Cartagena, Colombia, Miami, Florida
If that is the case you do start in Ft Lauderdale and end in Miami with a simple solution as several have suggested.

Yes, it's the Panama Canal, but ....

If you do a search at Celebrity, for November cruises, port of departure Miami, 14 days, on Infiniti, you'll find a cruise departing November 7th.

Just saying, it's a little confusing.

When I do that search, the only departure from Miami is in Dec.

This is the result searching November Panama cruises on Celebrity's website (Nov 7 & 21)

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, George Town, Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Colombia, Panama Canal (Cruising), Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Mexico, Acapulco, Mexico, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Los Angeles, California ~ Los Angeles, California, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Acapulco, Mexico, Huatulco, Mexico, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Panama Canal (Cruising), Colon, Panama, Cartagena, Colombia, Miami, Florida

Xellent, I am also interested in information about the hotel you have used for parking in Ft Lauderdale.

Vivian

and marieps:

We stayed at the LaQuinta airport (954) 922-2295. We have stayed there three times now leaving our car a month at a time. It is not luxurious, but the rooms are large, the beds comfortable, has a very nice setting, a block away from a major shopping area and right off I-95. Taxi back to the hotel is about $20-25.

When I do that search, the only departure from Miami is in Dec.

This is the result searching November Panama cruises on Celebrity's website (Nov 7 & 21)

You're right. Not sure what I was thinking/seeing when I did those searches.

Looks like Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles to Miami.

Again, I appreciate everyone's responses and assistance. In case you're wondering what that big "POP" was, it was just me, finally getting my head pulled out of my rump.:D

Here's a suggestion...this is what we do. Rent a car at home and use it to drive to your departure port. Do your cruises. When you return, rent a car to drive home. It will probably not cost any more than hotel, cabs etc. plus you save the wear and tear on your car and outdoor parking. Plus you take a chance on perhaps a dead battery after a month of sitting. Car rentals are pretty cheap these days, especially if you have discount from a corporation or AAA or something. The rental car ppeople will pick you up at port, take you to port etc. We find it is a good way to avoid the hassle of dropping and picking up your own car from different ports. Just a thought.

Here's a suggestion...this is what we do. Rent a car at home and use it to drive to your departure port. Do your cruises. When you return, rent a car to drive home. It will probably not cost any more than hotel, cabs etc. plus you save the wear and tear on your car and outdoor parking. Plus you take a chance on perhaps a dead battery after a month of sitting. Car rentals are pretty cheap these days,

Unfortunately this is no longer economical for us.

We used to rent a car in Detroit and dropped it in Florida when car rentals were $75.00 per day.

Now Alamo is the cheapest at $250 per day up to Hertz at $422 per day. Two day rentals between $508 to $844 makes flying downright cheap! Perhaps rates are better elsewhere.

Archived