Another Tipping Thread

notentirelynormal

I know that tipping is not the norm in Italy and yet I've done some searching and saw that some people tip €1 or €2 per bag for their porters at the hotel. Yes, no? Also, at the pier, heaven forbid we don’t tip those guys here in the good ol’ US of A. Is it the same rule in Italy or no tipping at the pier? I’m fond of wearing clothes on the ship so inquiring minds want to know.

You will get a whole bunch of answers from those who tip nothing to those who tip. Yes, in Italy we tip at the pier and for the porter. We give the equivalent to what we would give in the USA. Whether that is right or wrong that is what we do.

Keith

Although tipping is not the norm for those considered to be in professions where they earn a decent wage (and that includes waiters, tour guides, and bus/taxi drivers in most European countries), those who are porters, bell men, maids, and the like are still given a tip.

Cool, so I'll make sure I have some small bills (or in this case coins) handy. I never gave it a thought until today about those guys. Envelopes are ready for everyone else though. Sounds like at the airport too then. Their tip might be even better if I have lots of coins left.

I know that tipping is not the norm in Italy and yet I've done some searching and saw that some people tip €1 or €2 per bag for their porters at the hotel. Yes, no? Also, at the pier, heaven forbid we don’t tip those guys here in the good ol’ US of A. Is it the same rule in Italy or no tipping at the pier? I’m fond of wearing clothes on the ship so inquiring minds want to know.

Tipping Tactics

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tipping.htm

Archived