Hope Princess doesn't follow NCL Epic...

3LittleBirds

Seems that the increase in size is a revenue thing (unfortunately), but PLEASE keep the over stimulation and sensory overload to an absolute minimum. Princess, please don't go there....ever.

I would like to see Princess replace the criminal art auctioneers with something more interesting...and legal...though I'm not going to whine about it. ;)

To be fair...any business...has to remain flexible to the changing markets to remain viable. Otherwise...they would still be making more Pacific Princess size ships. I'm sure there are a fair number of folks who still sail only the very smallest of cruise ships.

People seem to like the serenity areas...families like the expanded kid's areas...most everyone likes the MUTS concept...etc.

Those are changes that Princess has already made.

I had my first (and last) cruise on the modified grand class ships (The Emerald) in February and there were 500 too many other passengers onboard to suit my tastes.

I will restrict my future cruising to grand class (2600pax) and smaller.

Mike:)

We feel the exact same way Mike..................no more modified Grand Class ships for us, ever! :(

I love all the Princess ships but am a bit sad that economies of scale are forcing cruise lines to build them so big for profits. The trend seems to be that the smaller ships will eventually be relegated to Silversea and similar lines that have high fares.

What's wrong with the cabin decor? I like it.

I do agree about the Art Auctions. It's time to update some of the onboard activities. Get some new ones.

Skywalkers is a nice but underutilized space on those ships. And we aren't exactly party animals.

+1 on this. Skywalkers is a very cool venue. Seems they could do more with it. Princess cruisers don't tend to be the party animal type, so most are winding down by the time they start cranking Skywalkers up. The should do something with this venue earlier.

We have only sailed on the Caribbean, Crown and this past May we were on the Diamond. I too hope that Princess keep things the way they are. In fact I told my husband while we were on the Diamond that we are definitely staying with Princess because I now am able to find my way around their ships without getting lost... By the way of the three ships the Diamond even though it was showing some wear and tear has become my favorite so far.

I'm not sure I follow this...in terms of the Emerald.quote]

The Emerald, as well as the Ruby, Crown and Caribbean Princess share the same hull as The Golden, Grand, Star, Diamond and Sapphire Princess but carry 500 more passengers.

This is accomplished by adding an additional deck (The Riviera) which increases the passenger load with no increase in facilities such as dining, entertainment etc.

The Emerald, as well as the Ruby, Crown and Caribbean Princess share the same hull as The Golden, Grand, Star, Diamond and Sapphire Princess but carry 500 more passengers.

This is accomplished by adding an additional deck (The Riviera) which increases the passenger load with no increase in facilities such as dining, entertainment etc.

Ok. I have to admit...I've only been on the Emerald. In comparison (to the "smaller ones")...the ones with the extra deck of cabins may seem a bit more crowded. I can see that...and it's definitely a fair point.

I do think there are some things Princess could do (strategy wise) to alleviate any perceived (or real) flow/crowd problems with the ships though:

1. make better use of the Skywalkers Lounge (like was mentioned above)

2. offer more appealing attractions (on sea days) in the Explorer Lounge. Not everyone wants to waste money on bingo in Club Fusion?!?!

3. Do something to revamp (or make better use) of the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe space(s). This area seems to be more than adequate...but is often a cluster in the way it's designed.

4. Not having sailed on Princess before...we (my wife and I) were a bit shocked to see how small the Princess Theatre was for a ship the size of the Emerald. Not much you can do about that though at this point. ;)

I just read articles about the Norwegian Epic on www.frommers.com. How sickening! I worry about the day that Princess may decide to go in that direction. Guys, we have to do what it takes to keep our cruise experience the way it is. I'm worried.

The problems with the Epic are mainly in the design of the staterooms, not the size of the ship. The shower and the toilet are in two seperate glass enclosed areas at the entrance to the room with the sink being near the bed.

Little privacy when using the shower or the toilet, and must step out into the entranceway to dry off. Pictures I have seen show the towel on the floor outside the shower as that is the only place to keep it for easy access.

To use the sink after using the toilet means touching things with unclean hands and turning on a light near the bed in the middle of the night.

1192099863_Epicloo.jpg.c0d3d367021da69bea3ce6f1a2125318.jpg

No increase in facilities? MUTS was originally fitted on Caribbean Princess - that's one more entertainment venue.

The Lido deck was extended to fit in Cafe Caribe and the International Cafe added to the Atrium - that's 2 more eating areas.

Vines and Adagio. - that's 2 more bars.

Some of the larger ships have 3 evening performances in the theatre rather than 2 - to accommodate more passengers.

Just an FYI, the Diamond/Sapphire hull, while it may look a lot like the other Grand-class ships, is actually wider by 5 feet. You can certainly see this by comparing the Promenade decks. On the Diamond/Sapphire, there is room for full loungers while the other ships just have benchs and chairs. And, in terms of GRT (gross tonnage), they are the largest ships in the Princess fleet.

I, for one, will vote with my pocketbook. I will choose smaller ships for cruises and -- if I can't find a cruise on a smaller ship that goes to the destinations I'm looking for, I'll just do a land tour instead. :cool:

I agree -- anything larger than the Grand/Golden/Star is not for me; and I prefer smaller ships than those when possible.

One reason I am trying out HAL again is that the sizes of some of their "larger" ships are still reasonable. 2,000 pax rather than 3,200 makes a big difference.

The problems with the Epic are mainly in the design of the staterooms, not the size of the ship. The shower and the toilet are in two seperate glass enclosed areas at the entrance to the room with the sink being near the bed.

Little privacy when using the shower or the toilet, and must step out into the entranceway to dry off. Pictures I have seen show the towel on the floor outside the shower as that is the only place to keep it for easy access.

To use the sink after using the toilet means touching things with unclean hands and turning on a light near the bed in the middle of the night.

It's one of the most ridiculous layout of cabin design someone could have thought of. :eek:

+1 on this. Skywalkers is a very cool venue. Seems they could do more with it. Princess cruisers don't tend to be the party animal type, so most are winding down by the time they start cranking Skywalkers up. The should do something with this venue earlier.

They should put the Wheelhouse Bar in Skywalkers...that would be amazing!!

No increase in facilities? MUTS was originally fitted on Caribbean Princess - that's one more entertainment venue.

The Lido deck was extended to fit in Cafe Caribe and the International Cafe added to the Atrium - that's 2 more eating areas.

Some of the larger ships have 3 evening performances in the theatre rather than 2 - to accommodate more passengers.

A huge screen is fitted over an existing pool and all of the other things you mention are more opportunities; but maybe I should have said "at no increase in area".

The modified grand class ships are the same size as the grand class with 500 more pax no matter how you arrange it.

Just an FYI, the Diamond/Sapphire hull, while it may look a lot like the other Grand-class ships, is actually wider by 5 feet. You can certainly see this by comparing the Promenade decks. On the Diamond/Sapphire, there is room for full loungers while the other ships just have benchs and chairs. And, in terms of GRT (gross tonnage), they are the largest ships in the Princess fleet.

I know that, but Princess refers to them as Grand Class ships like the Golden, Grand and Star and the passenger load is almost identical. The Diamond/Sapphire were built by a different shipyard.

I am glad that Princess has so many different sorts/sizes of ships as we all do not have the same tastes and they can appeal to a broad market.

My favorite so far remains The Island.

Hi All

While I understand the need for more passengers per ship, or less passengers paying more, to make a profit, I also want more space

while I love the Crown and have had great cruises aboard,I found it crowded, comapred to the Grand, I know passenger mix and type of cruise also make a difference.

Princess has a nice product all they need is refresh it, cabins are OK but may be a more morden finish is required.

As to oboard shows its time to bring in some proffessional shows

I think if they had Lord of THe dance, CATS etc you would see more folk taking in a show and even some folk cruising just for the shows.

yours Shogun

MUTS doesn't give the ship more space. And on the sailing I was on, very few people used it (granted, it was a cooler sailing). There were nights I walked on deck and not one person was there (they were all fighting to get into the Theatre).

With Cafe Caribe - there is not additional seating in the buffet area. So while they may have expanded the buffet, it was really difficult on my cruise to find a seat. Plus, at night, only the Cafe Caribe was open (not the Horizon Court) on my cruise so it really wasn't additional dining venue at night.

International Cafe - while some additional chairs were added, not enough to make up the difference. On the cruise we were on, we could never find a place to sit to eat there.

Theatre - even with additional shows, we still had problems getting a seat unless we showed up one hour plus for shows.

I found the Crown extremely crowded. I can't rule out that I won't sail on that ship again but it will be my last choice of ships (I will be looking at other lines first).

As to oboard shows its time to bring in some proffessional shows

I think if they had Lord of THe dance, CATS etc you would see more folk taking in a show and even some folk cruising just for the shows.

yours Shogun

It would not surprise me to see some ships going this direction. With EPIC, they have the Blue Man Group and Cirque Dreams (not sure if this is right). Here is a line trying to bring professional shows to a ship (for pay).

It would be cool to get a Lord of the Dance or RiverDance type spin off.

We were on the Golden recently and discovered that the ,much hearalded drydock in recent months did little to update the "rank and file" staterooms. The only new thing was the flat panel TV sets that were perched on the shelf that used to hold the tube TV set. Princess needs to add some interesting color to the walls and get rid of those sickening green bedspreads and update the bed make-up. The tacky wood arches need to be removed and the brass bed lamps should also be replaced.

But don't get me wrong Princess, we still love you.

The modified grand class ships are the same size as the grand class with 500 more pax no matter how you arrange it.

This is actually my biggest fear about my upcoming trip on the Caribbean Princess. I'm not into overly crowded places (like amusment parks) and I remember being able to wander into a show on my last cruise (on Carnival) and being able to find a seat. Seems like the number of people on the boat aren't accommodated in a lot of venues, based on previous reviews.

I agree with you, you can't just smack another level of cabins on a ship without increasing the area of your venues, not just the number of venues.

And those ships seem so spacious!

This is actually my biggest fear about my upcoming trip on the Caribbean Princess. I'm not into overly crowded places (like amusment parks) and I remember being able to wander into a show on my last cruise (on Carnival) and being able to find a seat. Seems like the number of people on the boat aren't accommodated in a lot of venues, based on previous reviews.

We can tolerate it only because we've learn to do things when most of the passengers aren't, i.e. dining either very early or very late (or a little of both), seeing shows on the second night they are performed, avoiding the buffet at breakfast time, and only going to the buffet for lunch on port days, and eating breakfast in the dining room within 30 minutes after it opens. Just those simple things make a huge difference in how crowded the ships feel.

It would not surprise me to see some ships going this direction. With EPIC, they have the Blue Man Group and Cirque Dreams (not sure if this is right). Here is a line trying to bring professional shows to a ship (for pay).

It would be cool to get a Lord of the Dance or RiverDance type spin off.

Better shows for the theater, fine. It's the rest of the stuff I could do without...parades, malls, etc..

We were on the Golden recently and discovered that the ,much hearalded drydock in recent months did little to update the "rank and file" staterooms. The only new thing was the flat panel TV sets that were perched on the shelf that used to hold the tube TV set. Princess needs to add some interesting color to the walls and get rid of those sickening green bedspreads and update the bed make-up. The tacky wood arches need to be removed and the brass bed lamps should also be replaced.

But don't get me wrong Princess, we still love you.

I agree with you from the first letter of your post to the very last. Princess generally attracts a nice customer...freshen things up a bit.

Archived