I loved my first solo so much, I have booked again! Thanks Solo CC members :)

Some of you may remember me posting questions prior to my first solo cruise on the 10 night RCCL Radiance of the Seas in April. I wasn't entirely sure that 10 days was the right formula for my first solo, but since I had cruised quite a bit over the last few decades and was not at all new to solo travel (having taken several non-cruise solo trips), I went ahead and leaped.

Needless to say, I loved it! As expected, 10 days was too short, especially since I was a solo! I met so many people, yet found time to totally rest and relax. It was truly amazing. After 20 plus trips with travel mates, I can honestly say that I was the most relaxed on my solo adventure.

Since returning, I've booked a 14 night itinerary on the Amsterdam for an Alaska cruise this July and I opted to add several pre-cruise and post cruise days in Seattle. So, when it is all said and done, my second solo cruise will be 23 days total. Can you tell I'm hooked??? :) :) :)

Again, please don't get me wrong. I love traveling with my boyfriend on romantic trips, with my family on reunion trips, and my girlfriends on chick trips but there really is something special about sailing SOLO on a solo trip. Perhaps it is the pure selfishness of making my own schedule, without obligation to anyone else, or the solitude of sailing silently across the sea; but whatever it is, I truly enjoy!!

I would like to offer up a slightly different perspective on traditional vs open dining. I had traditional dining on the Radiance cruise based on many recommendations from the solo CC cruisers. I absolutely loved my table mates and am glad I choose this dining option.

However; I have elected to take open seating dining on my Alaskan trip simply because I have found that regardless whether I am traveling solo or with partners, I appreciate the flexibility anytime dining presents.

I also like to dine in the lido occasionally, and I felt obligated to attend MDR dinners on my last cruise simply because the one time I missed MDR dinner, my table mates were genuinely worried about me (which was very sweet).

So, moral of the story. If you like open seating when traveling with partners, you may actually prefer open seating when traveling solo. I'll let you know my final verdict when I return in April, but in the meantime I would say not to let open seating scare you.

Here is a link to my Radiance review and live blog if anyone is interested in reading about my solo adventure:

http:/K/www.chris-n-cheryl.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21368&sid=de8a68f9eded43848e1087e17d8d8a72

Live blog:

http://www.chris-n-cheryl.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21216

It should also be noted that if you shop, you can find great 'deals' for solo travel. The Radiance was a 10 night trip at Easter time (which should command high dollar). I paid approximately $1,100 for a E1 balcony cabin on the hump. I caught a one day special (not a Tuesday special, just a price drop) where the cabin was $750 pp (10 nights at easter) so paying 150% was totally 'worth' it to me for a balcony cabin, especially a coveted balcony cabin on the hump.

I am paying approximately 125% on my 14 night Alaskan Cruise aboard Holland America. You can even find great 'solo' rates on pre and post hotels using hotwire and priceline. I paid $65.00 plus tax for the Holiday Inn on the Bay through hotwire (the photos you see should speak for themselves regarding location).

I guess the moral of what I'm saying is that there are specials to be had for the solo cruiser. I haven't gotten away with zero single supplement (yet); but I have managed to find great rates where paying 125% still offers what I believe to be an excellent value (IMHO).

So, add me to the solo traveling cruise sister club (I know there are a few of you men out there too :))!!! I probably won't always travel solo since my friends and family do enjoy travel and will find the cash at some point, but in the meantime, I will positively cherish each every moment that I can travel solo. It really does add an additional element of relaxation to a vacation that you sometimes can't do in a crowd.

If you're on the fence with booking a solo vacation, I say Go For It!!!

Cheryl :)

I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time on your first solo cruise and especially happy to hear that 10 days was too short. I booked a 14-night transatlantic cruise in April and I will be going solo. Also, I agree with you on the MTD, I have done both the scheduled dining and the open and the open is alot more relaxed. Going to go and check out your blog to get a few more details.

Welcome back and enjoy your next solo cruise to Alaska.

I would like to offer up a slightly different perspective on traditional vs open dining. I had traditional dining on the Radiance cruise based on many recommendations from the solo CC cruisers. I absolutely loved my table mates and am glad I choose this dining option.

However; I have elected to take open seating dining on my Alaskan trip simply because I have found that regardless whether I am traveling solo or with partners, I appreciate the flexibility anytime dining presents.

I also like to dine in the lido occasionally, and I felt obligated to attend MDR dinners on my last cruise simply because the one time I missed MDR dinner, my table mates were genuinely worried about me (which was very sweet).

I agree with EVERYTHING you said & wanted to comment on the dining aspect. I, too, enjoyed my late-seating tablemates on my 1st solo in Nov. I had the same situation, though, where I felt obligated to attend dinner because of the table mates' concerns & questions. I also prefer the flexibility of open dining so next time I do a solo I'm going w/ open seating too.

Hi, glad you had such a good time:). I have sailed to Alaska 3 times

and hope you it enjoy it as much as I do. It is one of those itineraries

that is simply "majestic"....:D

If you ever find a Single Supplement for ~0.0~ please let us know:)

but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

One other thing, you will now be totally hooked:D, just like the rest

of us~I booked another cruise yesterday too.

I've got a cabin on hold too! Not sure dh will be happy about it, though :(.

Hi Bonnie,:) what cruise are you looking at? I stepped out of the box

and will be going on SOLSTICE:D and treated myself to a balcony!

Some of the reviews (which I usually don't listen to all that much) but

the reviews (in this case) have been such fun to read.

I am going Labor Day week...just have 70 days to wait from tomorrow:D

Hi Bonnie,:) what cruise are you looking at? I stepped out of the box

and will be going on SOLSTICE:D and treated myself to a balcony!

Some of the reviews (which I usually don't listen to all that much) but

the reviews (in this case) have been such fun to read.

I am going Labor Day week...just have 70 days to wait from tomorrow:D

Hi, Lois. I don't fly so I need to choose something close to home. So it's the Mercury again either in Oct or Nov. I'd love to see the Solstice but won't travel that far in a car by myself.

What a nice review. I was on the Amsterdam thru the PC over Christmas/New Years last year. It is a elegant and friendly ship. My two favorite hang out areas became the Explorations library/cafe and the promenade deck.

The Explorations library/cafe compares favorably to my local neighborhood library. And I never looked for a gym on the Amsterdam because I loved hanging out and walking around the promendade deck a few times a day.

I did the late fixed dinner seating on the Amsterdam but next time, on the Rotterdam, I'm doing the open seating. I just like the idea of an open flexible schedule--we'll see how it goes.

I enjoyed the Amsterdam so much that I'm doing the Rotterdam, a sister ship, for my next cruise. Usually I like to try different cruise lines and ships but love the style and amenities of these smaller (by today's standards) ships.

I am going to check out your Radiance review and blog--I have never cruised on RCCL and these ships look stunning from pictures I've seen.

Enjoy your time on the Amsterdam in Alaska.

Faith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! This is my first day on Cruise Critic and my first post. Do other ships offer the combination

of coffee AND library? I've been on many ships

that have them in separate locations. Often the

library is quite small.

Thanks!

Cruisingjunkie

I've traveled both ways: alone and with a cabinmate. My only bad time was with a friend

who I thought I knew well - I was surprised to

find that she was afraid to be without me, anywhere. She clung to me like velcro.

After that all was fine. I told my

potential roommates what I like to do: I like

doing activities onboard, reading on a deck chair

in the sun, socializing, etc. What I do not like to do includes playing bridge, etc. This way they know what I like to do which means they can do it with me or not. Maybe they like something I've never tried, maybe I'll try it!

Inside the cabin I like to read with a light on, at any time, day or night. I have earplugs and blinders. I always bring extra earplugs and blinders for them! (the golden rule!)

My advice:

think of every possible scenario beforehand and express yourself! Tell them what you need. Then listen to what THEY need. Communicate. If you find you are not compatible, so be it.

I've had wonderful adventures alone, "sharing" by taking photos and emailing friends. But sharing day-to-day things with a compatible cabin mate is more fun. (okay, and cheaper!)

Thanks!

Okay, so how can I use cruise critic to find a roommie?

Thanks everyone!

... Okay, so how can I use cruise critic to find a roommie?...

Howdy cruisingjunky from a fellow Texan! 50.gif Welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

You can't on the Cruise Critic message boards. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=453740 for the Sticky at the top of this forum titled Reminder : Asking For Roommates Is Against Community Guidelines.

You may want to click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=21 for the Cruise Critic article titled Cruise "Welcome Mat" Varies for Solos. Note the section titled Choose a singles' cruise. Also, click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419 for another Cruise Critic article titled Best Cruise Lines for Solo Travelers. Both may contain information that will help you.

Also, you may want to go to www.google.com and type in "single cruises". You will find many of the agencies your fellow Cruise Critic members would recommend, give feedback, etc. if they could.

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership, the names, web sites, etc. of travel agents/agencies or other cruise-related sites or message boards --- even if "masked" --- are not allowed in Cruise Critic message board posts. Posts asking for the name, site or further information via e-mail, or posts offering same, will be removed as well as any replies to the removed posts. Discussion or promotion of any non-Cruise Critic group cruise is not allowed. Hosted single cruises are group cruises.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I've traveled both ways: alone and with a cabinmate. My only bad time was with a friend

who I thought I knew well - I was surprised to

find that she was afraid to be without me, anywhere. She clung to me like velcro.

After that all was fine. I told my

potential roommates what I like to do: I like

doing activities onboard, reading on a deck chair

in the sun, socializing, etc. What I do not like to do includes playing bridge, etc. This way they know what I like to do which means they can do it with me or not. Maybe they like something I've never tried, maybe I'll try it!

Inside the cabin I like to read with a light on, at any time, day or night. I have earplugs and blinders. I always bring extra earplugs and blinders for them! (the golden rule!)

My advice:

think of every possible scenario beforehand and express yourself! Tell them what you need. Then listen to what THEY need. Communicate. If you find you are not compatible, so be it.

I've had wonderful adventures alone, "sharing" by taking photos and emailing friends. But sharing day-to-day things with a compatible cabin mate is more fun. (okay, and cheaper!)

Thanks!

Okay, so how can I use cruise critic to find a roommie?

Thanks everyone!

I think Host Kat pretty much covered it all;) You can't use

Cruise Critic as a "roomie finder".

Archived