Murder on NCL Jade?

lawgeek

I was on board the Jade. It did happen. I saw the body taken away by the coroner late that day. Also our private tour guide in Rome told us it was the second time this year that a ship was delayed due to death at sea. Whether it was suicide or murder, NCL hushed it up and pretended it didnt happen.

Whether it was suicide or murder, NCL hushed it up and pretended it didnt happen.

Huh? Explain please (and maybe state actual facts rather than double hearsay like your prior post). :rolleyes: I am not sure what you expect, that a business should advertise that a death occurred on their premises? (Hmm, that sounds like one of those weird dead celebrity tours! LOL!)

These kinds of stories take on a life of their own. I was on the Jade for the previous week's cruise (13-20) and was in penthouse 9000. My husband and I stayed in Barcelona until the 28th (highly recommend people spend some time there). While we were at the airport early Monday the 28th waiting to check in (stood in line 1 1/2 hours), my husband chatted with some other couples that had just returned from cruises the day before. I didn't pay much attention because I was trying to finish the last chapter of a novel so that I could avoid carrying it in my carry on.

After reading this message thread a couple of days ago I told my husband about a possible murder that happened on our deck the cruise after ours. He said "oh yeah, that's what we were talking about in line at the airport." The only thing that he could remember from the conversation was that the victim's throat was cut. My husband is not a gossiper and his brain just does not retain gossipy details about anything (frustrating when I'm trying to get the latest scoop on his side of the family). Whether it is true or not, the rumor spread far and wide fast.

This idea that it was "hushed" is interesting because it implies that "hushing" is negative. But, in my opinion it is perfectly reasonable for NCL to direct their staff not to talk about it with the people on the ship because: (1) passengers are on vacation and supposed to have a wonderful experience, not dwell on a death; (2) don't want passengers to feel unsafe; (3) potential to hurt future business.

Although I admittedly enjoy titillating tidbits, I am certainly not entitled to the intimate facts of other people's lives when they have absolutely no effect on me.

Whether it was suicide or murder, NCL hushed it up and pretended it didnt happen.

3 things why they didnt alert the passengers,

First and most important, its nobodys business.

Second, respect for the family.

And third, to not disturb passengers with such sad news.

the cruise lines responsibility is to report the incident to the proper authorities. Not the press and not fellow passengers(unless its something that can physically infect/effect the other passengers). Making a public statement can both violate someone's privacy and interfere with an investigation. Yes we all have curiosity(sometimes morbid curiosity), but they aren't supposed to tell you!

"the cruise lines responsibility is to report the incident to the proper authorities. Not the press and not fellow passengers(unless its something that can physically infect/effect the other passengers). Making a public statement can both violate someone's privacy and interfere with an investigation. Yes we all have curiosity(sometimes morbid curiosity), but they aren't supposed to tell you!

Well stated - also most companies have fairly strict policies in place about employees and even volunteers talking to the media about incidents unless they are empowered to discuss the matter.

I could see a lot of worried cruise passengers if there was a random killer on the loose on a cruise ship but in this case whether it was a murder or accidental death the individuals are known and there is was no other threat to the safety of the passengers - as long as we have tabloid newspapers, radio and TV talk shows looking for ratings and wanting to feed the frenzy of a blood thirsty revenge seeking population incidents like this will get more coverage than necessary.

Cheers

Dennis

I would only hope if I was a victim of this type of immoral behaviour that someone cared enough to find the truth. This is not the first time of acts such as this on a cruise ship.

IF it is true, it's not that no one bothered to find out the truth, I'm sure the proper authorities know or are "on the case", it's that no one knows the truth on Cruise Critic.

We all know that the NCL flag wavers would never let a murder take place on any NCL ship, even if it did!

:D I think you have that right.

As far as freedom of the press, I think the press has a right to report things that they uncover, that are of public interest. I don't think that they have the right to demand that every person (or every company for that matter) confide all of their private information to them.

I have noticed lately the strange attitude that just because "the press" asks a question there is some sort of moral obligation to answer it. IMO a lot of the things they ask about are none of your, my, or the press' business.

What happened to 'Freedom of the Press' altho when you leave the US I suppose it is 'free game'.

I believe in Freedom of the Press. I believe in the right of privacy. The cruise lines are required to report crimes to the country as provided in Maritime law. CLIA cruise lines report crimes against US nationals(voluntarily for now until the law that was passed by the Senate and the House is signed into law and then mandatorily).

Its then up to the government of the respective countries to follow their law as to releases to the press. US law for medical issues is strict. HIPAA is strict and has criminal penalties for improper disclosure(http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/index.html).

Most if not all employees on a ship are prohibited from speaking with the press. that is what the home office does.

Many countries have strict laws about what may be disclosed in criminal cases during the investigation stage.

None of this stops the press from investigating and printing information it gets sotto voce. That is Freedom of the Press. It has nothing to do with the disclosure by the Cruise line.

The Founding Fathers(IMO) would think its strange that Freedom of the Press and Freedom of speech means mandatory disclosure by a private entity. In fact the freedom of speech implies a Freedom not to speak....which is in fact guaranteed by the 5th amendment.

BTW under common law(tort law) a company does have a duty to disclose hidden dangers. But a single event probably doesn't have a duty to disclose anything. and in most cases if they disclosed it( i.e. there is a chance that you may be accosted on board by a fellow passenger or wayward crew) - you wouldn't change what you do anyway.

I do think they have a duty to disclose something if you are within a zone of danger. So if there is Novo going around that triggers a report to the USPHS they should be telling the passengers(most cruise lines do- they say there has been an increased incidence of Novo and we have increased our warning level) or if there is a maniac going around killing people. But the "normal" attack is by an acquaintance- Spouse, significant other or someone else. if its a crew and they put them in irons or a passenger under control they don't notify. These are the normal criminal/interpersonal occurrences and NO warning to others is required.

What a weird turn this thread has taken. The OP just asked a simple question, if someone knew what had happened based on what they had heard.

I have been on a cruise where someone died on an excursion. We could see it clearly from our balcony. We have been on another cruise where we were delayed ostensibly due to the winds only to hear the next day from our cabin steward that there was a fire on the ship. We were docked so apparently they didn't feel the need to evacuate the ship; it must have been minor.

Since you wrote that the passengers who relayed the information said there were 'rumors' and they saw firsthand that that a cabin was taped off with police tape - perhaps someone died of natural causes in that cabin and police are required to investigate all shipboard deaths? If that were the case, perhaps the family of the deceased did not want any publicity regarding their loved one.

It might have been as innocent as that.

With today's media and others that are attracted to making headlines - I would think anyone related to or having knowledge of a passenger that died on board - regardless of murder or natural causes - would have reported it to the media to investigate unless they really wanted privacy and no publicity.

Just my personal thoughts as to the actual event that occurred.....

Well, I was on the Jade June 20-28 also, (and have posted several times before- for those keeping track).

I can also confirm the sick crew member that required us to turn back to Barcelona about an hour after we left port. By Wednesday evening, our waitress informed us that she was doing very well and was released from the hospital.

As for the person who passed away, the only information I heard was that someone passed. We had a private tour booked and he was sitting at the dock watching (and waiting for over 2 hours) as the police and officials were doing what ever they needed.

That evening at dinner the same waitress confirmed that someone had passed but didnt have any other details.

Ports in general were good, but this trip was not anything to brag about, these issues were just one of many scars in my opinion of NCL.

Ports in general were good, but this trip was not anything to brag about, these issues were just one of many scars in my opinion of NCL.

OK if you had some other issues but why on earth would you consider one person getting sick and another dying a scar on NCL?:confused:

An interesting thread. I remember ariving at the dock in Miami 2007 i think. Leaving the Pearl we heard a rumour that a lady had jumped overboard and it was witnessed by a member of the crew. This was also reported on the news later that day. One thing that has puzzled me, is to why if a crew member witnesed this incident, how come ship never stopped and boats launched? Last year i was dining on the Millenium when a fellow diner began to choke, both his son and i struggled to clear his airway, but when medics arrived he came to and recovered in sick bay, another budding stastistic. All i can add, is that behind the scenes a myriad of emergency situations must arise and we are probably left none of the wiser, mainly for the reasons pointed out in earlier posts. Man on the moon, Roswell, Princess Diana, Lady with throat cut, pregnant, strangled. The truth is out there mulder!

Archived