Packing your own cruise first-aid kit

I always make sure to have stuff like bandaids and ointment, ace bandage, sunscreen and sunburn lotion or spray, apsirin and allergy or decongestant tablets, something for stomach aches/problems, and my perscriptions. If you get sea sick - whatever you'd use for that - I use ginger root capsules (also work for upset stomach.) Anything bigger than that, I'd rather use the ship's medical facilities.

Kathy

Fantasy August 2000

Fascination May 2001

Enchantment of the Seas December 2002

Voyager of the Seas June 2004

As a precaution, we always carry antibiotics (for sore throats, colds, and ear aches) Nauzene chewable tablets and also prescription pills from the physician (for non seasick stomach ailments). For children, I suggest taking some phenegran suppositories.

For sea sickness, we take ginger tablets and Bonine (Meclizine is generic and much cheaper...both are chewable).

We also pack band aides, ear, eye, teeth and allergy meds.

RX Pain medicines and Tylenol or Advil. Cough medicines and sore throat lozenges.

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

As a firm believer that antibiotics are overprescribed by doctors and requested inappropriately for viral infections (for which they do no good) by patients, I do not agree that you should self-diagnose and self-medicate with these drugs. If you already have a condition for which you are taking antibiotics or other medications, be certain to carry them in the prescription bottle or they may be confiscated.

We always carry Pepto Bismol and Immodium, in addition to Advil, sinus medication, aloe lotion for sunburn, and Oraljel (every since my husband got a toothache during a Walt Disney World vacation).

Hopefully, you won't need any of these items, but at least you'll be prepared.

Karen

6/5/05 Brilliance Mediterranean roll call

Infinity in... countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Brilliance 6/05, Infinity 12/04, Brilliance 2/04, Adventure 11/03, Brilliance 2/03, Grand Princess 3/02, Dawn Princess 11/01, Ocean Princess 5/00

On our last cruise, I got a splinter or something in my finger and would have sold my kingdom for a needle and alcohol. It took about 3 days for it to work itself out and my finger was pretty tender.

Karen icon_cool.gif

I carry a small "first aid kit" whenever and where ever we travel. It consists of:

Advil

Ammodium

Dayquil caps

Nyquil caps

throat lozenges

cough drops

bandaids in varying sizes

packets of Neosporin

moleskin

tweezers

antacid tabs

gas-x

That pretty much covers the gamut. Anything more than that and I'd want to see a doctor anyhow. Of course we also carry our prescription medications that we take daily as well.

Anne

olliekl - I agree that antibiotics can be over used.

I have mentioned this before, but will repeat it for those that are going to start the argument on whether antibiotics should be used.

I have a heart condition that requires I take antibiotics for any type of infection or cut on my body. Therefore, my physician prescribes antibiotics for me whenever we are going to be traveling. If I get a sore throat, cold, cut or have any dental work done, I take a couple of antibiotics. Haven't had to very often, but I do feel better knowing I have it.

We would only give the antibiotics to the kids if they have a fever. To date...I am happy to report that we have never had to use these meds on a cruise. I feel safer having them with us if needed. All RX drugs are in their original bottles.

We also carry the children's inhalers which came in quite handy when I had an allergic reaction to some Aleve on a flight bound for a cruise. I couldn't breathe very well and remembered the inhaler. Worked pretty fast! icon_biggrin.gif

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Archived